Mars Models 1/48 Beriev Be-4

This model completes a trio of late 1940s seaplanes built from my stash: Mars Models 1/48 Beriev Be-4. Aside from some seat belts and the aerial wire, it's out of the box and a thoroughly enjoyable kit to make. Be prepared for some work though - there are a *lot* of parts. The scheme is one provided in the kit and the finish is Akan and MRP lacquers.

A full build article on this has just been published in the July issue of SAM.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

Jon

Be4_16.jpg

Be4_15.jpg

Be4_09.jpg

Be4_01.jpg

Be4_20.jpg

Be4_18.jpg

Be4_23.jpg

Be4_34.jpg

Be4_31.jpg

Be4_29.jpg

Be4_35.jpg

Be4_43.jpg

Be4_46.jpg

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

Really impressive finish on this Jon. If thats what can be achieved with laquers I must have a go with them. Or do you have a fiendish secret method for producing flawless paint jobs. (the chipped nose is brilliant).

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in a shed said:

Really impressive finish on this Jon. If thats what can be achieved with laquers I must have a go with them. Or do you have a fiendish secret method for producing flawless paint jobs. (the chipped nose is brilliant).

Pete

Thanks Pete. I'm not sure lacquers are any better than other paints for getting a smooth finish (although they are more user friendly than water-based acrylics!). The main advantage for me is the super-quick drying time and ability to spray fine lines. The chipped nose was done with some sponged on masking fluid.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TeaWeasel said:

Gorgeous finish on a pretty bonkers aircraft. How did you do the very fine spray effect? 

Thanks. Do you mean the tonal variation in the paint or the splattered weathering? The former is thin layers of paint using different mottle masks. The latter is flicking diluted oil paints from a partially loaded brush over a cocktail stick.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Thanks. Do you mean the tonal variation in the paint or the splattered weathering? The former is thin layers of paint using different mottle masks. The latter is flicking diluted oil paints from a partially loaded brush over a cocktail stick.

Cheers

Jon

I meant the droplets on the last photo, but thanks for both those tips :)

Joe

• Like 1