Wellsprop Fairy III F

This is my first printed model project and I will be treading carefully! I am chuffed to bits with the parts provided by Ben and hope to do his work and skills justice. I have removed most parts from the trees and gave them a gentle wash. After a bit of research via the Phillip Jarrett book on the Fairy III F I will crack on.

S0028930

S0018927

DSCF8936

Stay tuned.

Keith.

• Like 17

• 2 months later...

I have been trying to advance this project despite my work bench on the first floor feeling like an oven! I have been experimenting with some ribbing on the fin and rudder and I am quite happy with the results. I will put some images up over the weekend.

Keith

• Like 2

DSCF9044

DSCF9045

General cockpit detailing with a metal floor etc.

DSCF9046

The start of some ribbing. It looks a little stark at the moment but I have softened it and getting it ready to paint.

DSCF9047

A little nod t o ribs and dope, not so obvious with the cockpit in place.

Thank you for your interest and I shall try and get some more up this week.

Keith

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Still moving forward with this little beauty . I have used the tail assembly as practice for the aircraft as a whole as anything that I was not particularly happy with would be easier to rectify. The top surfaces were ribbed with plastic strip and the lower with Tamiya masking tape. The plastic worked out better as it was easier to sand right down to what I thought looked OK. After a good couple of coats of paint they can take quite a beating.

DSCF9099

DSCF9096

DSCF9046

S0019101

S0019100

S0049106

DSCF9098

That is as it is today, model club tonight so no progress again! This has my full attention when at the bench so onward with some painting and the mount the tail assembly. I hope this is of interest.

Keith.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, Britman said:

This is my first printed model project and I will be treading carefully! I am chuffed to bits with the parts provided by Ben and hope to do his work and skills justice. I have removed most parts from the trees and gave them a gentle wash. After a bit of research via the Phillip Jarrett book on the Fairy III F I will crack on.

Does this book have any scale drawing of the Fairey Gordon?

• 1 month later...

Here`s a little update on the Fairy. I have been distracted recently with moving my work bench etc! Ribbing has rather taken all the effort at the moment so construction has been slow. The ribs are thin strip plastic card above the wings and re skinned lower surfaces with embossed ribs.

DSCF9185

DSCF9187

DSCF9190

DSCF9191

DSCF9186

Awaiting its wings. I glued the lower wings on this evening so progressing forward. It might not be that technical for some but its good for me.

Keith

• Like 11

Keith, I’m curious why you’ve taken a different approach on the lower surfaces to the upper ones?
I ask as I have a few biplane kits in the stash with horribly scalloped wing surfaces that I would like to improve, and I’m on the lookout for good ways to do that!

Dave

• Like 1

Good question Dave. My observations over the years of fabric covered wings are that the undersides appear to have a shallower rib detail than above and with a smooth surface to work on re skinning is my preferred technique.

Keith 

• Like 2

You're going to be the talk of the model club when you bring this to a club night. 

Really looking forward to seeing it. 

Best model yet ????

Dick

Just found this thread, some great work adding texture to the wings. Totally agree with the upper surfaces showing the ribs more. I have even noticed that the fabric often sags between the ribs on lower surfaces. This changes when in flight as air pressure forces the linen against the structure. I have a feeling that this may be why some kits have excessively scalloped wings. I may of course be talking a load of codswallop too. 

Looking forward to seeing the next update.

Richie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...