Avro Lancaster 1/48 HK Models

36 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Care to elaborate a bit?!

Hi

They are all 1/48 kits, the Vulcan is the Aeroclub Vacform, The Andover is a 3d print from 'One Man Model' and the Lancaster is the HK models injection mould.

The Lancaster took 4 months which makes it the quickest build of the 3.

There is a thread for the Andover on here somewhere. The Vulcan predates Britmodeler but was an excellent kit in its own way.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent build and finish. The exhaust stains on the wings really set the mood for a 100 mission warhorse. 

I truly admire the men of bomber command that flew those missions. Last year, I read the book “Tail End Charlies” by Nichol and Rennell.  I had read many books on USAAF 8th AF operations but bomber command was a mystery to me. “Tail End Charlies” was very eye opening, relating command decisions and operations, as well as the psychology of the crews. 

That makes your fantastic Lancaster really stand out to me. 

Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/06/2022 at 19:18, Mark V said:

Last year, I read the book “Tail End Charlies” by Nichol and Rennell.  I had read many books on USAAF 8th AF operations but bomber command was a mystery to me. “Tail End Charlies” was very eye opening, relating command decisions and operations, as well as the psychology of the crews.

Absoluteley agree Mark. I read this book last year too. It's rare these days to find a book on this subject that provokes thought, debate and presents new interpretations and embelishments . I like books which tell the story in the words of the participants within the broader framework of the 'history'. A superb book.  I put it up there with Fighter Boys by Patrick Bishop, A Rumour of War by Phillip Caputo ( a classic Vietnam war memoir) , A New History of the Third Reich by Michael Burleigh .

It's a superb Lancaster indeed! Love 1;48 for this .. superb weathering indeed! Thanks for showing this!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, Winded Penguin said:

I really had no idea the Andover was such a large aircraft, even in relation to the Lanc and Vulcan.

Thanks for the comments.

Compared to the Andover the Lancaster is actually quite small. In part this was the RAF requirement for heavy bombers to fit into existing hangers which restricted the Short Stirling more than the Lancaster. The Andover has a much higher aspect ratio wing than the Lanc and of course the Vulcan!

Super looking Lancaster, aircraft at this scale and size are not easy to paint but you've nailed a really good finish on the camouflage and the weathering looks spot on to my eyes. Well done.

• Thanks 1

Great looking Lanc` there Colin, really nicely done. Great collection too, can`t believe how big the Andover is in comparison

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2022 at 17:32, Colin W said:

Direct from the 'Big and British' Group Build I thought I woud share my finished HK Models Avro Lancaster.

Almost straight from the box, this is a superbly engineered kit requiring little additional work. I modelled one engine exposed which required some work as athough the kit includes 4 merlins, the supporting engine bearers are not included, requiring a bit of scratch building to make them look realistic.

Decals are from Xtradecal depicting a plane from 625 Sqn RAF Kelstern Lincs, April 1945 with 93 missions and 7 from "Op manna food to occupied Holland in 1945."=100 Ops.

Enjoy.

IMG_9631

IMG_9576

IMG_9608

IMG_9585

IMG_20220621_135343754

IMG_20220621_135240917

Interestingly the Lancaster is the smallest model in my 1/48 Avro collection!

IMG_9639

Build Thread here

Colin

Very well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1