A crowded workbench

DaddyO

Afternoon all

I've been busy trying to sort out three new 1/72 builds in between working and the usual daily life stuff. Currently the Eduard Nieuport is just ahead of the others, but progress has been made on the Fokker Dr1 prototype and last night I was adding some sparkplugs to the engine 🤪 as you do! The Roden Albie is lagging behind, but the top wing is now together and awaiting a few details.

Here's the work area I've chiseled out of the room

kIglo7X8EExDECIN0eLQEe6VgaVM_d_8HbvovUqj

As you can see originally planned to make Guynemers aircraft, but I've managed to crack one and damage the second windscreen whilst modifying them to match the pictures of his aircraft so this one will end up being in an alternative scheme . . . 

Here's a quick pic of the fuz before it was closed up. I decided to add some wires to the moulded structure rather than fight the etched brass since it's pretty much invisible on the finished model anyway

_ysLtfbDhWdMiWXfptRLaut8CpFCdDjZNrvvBeYa

I also thought the moulded kit engine looked a bit anaemic so beefed up the cylinders by wrapping with jewellery wire which will be again mostly hidden away in the cowl 

--zRmAmwTgkWySj2YtBBuURjS3_QDS3spqf4NMQD

For the struts and undercarriage I wanted to practice making some out of brass to get nearer to scale thickness (although I did end up just sanding the wing struts really, really thin 😉)

I added a few spar and details in the wings centre section space and am now wondering about the success of applying the kits pieces of clear decal over this at a later point for the covering - Anyone had success with this?

Here's the collection of bits after much swearing and a quick coat of primer. Next up trying to assemble the U/C (I'm frantically trying to grow a couple of extra hands for this without any success to date!)

_3RAIa-t8EwuYoEgB6tP3YPJYeqdqLVt8dl9v-zx

I'll post an update on the other two builds later

Cheers

Paul

• Like 5

Quick update on where we are with these. 😃

Started to paint the Nieuport.

Under surfaces now done. These were sprayed a pale version of the colour first, then ribs were masked off (.4mm tape), which was fun, and the final colour sprayed. Masking then removed and a light coat of the darker shade to blend them in a bit.

Colour was mixed according to an article in Windsock magazine many moons ago - By this period the French had started adding silver to the standard dopes which had the effect of changing the colour to a more opaque cream/yellowy/off white shade rather than the usual 'clear dope' shade (whatever that might be) The Eduard instructions mention 'sail colour' which probably isn't far off IMO

LWkGmOrpyyZSPwhXpQQIslflyW7QCN9UWHMUIkcq

I've also painted up the struts. I sanded all the detail off and thinned them a bit first then added the metal banding with paint. Painted a dark metallic grey first then mixed this with silver for the next layer and added a few highlights (Not easy to se in the pic, but there anyway)

yxlB6vtxy8cquZRQ2Xa3IIdYoPWzh92GyKUXvq7D

As mentioned in the last post I've also put together the engine for the Fokker Dr1 V3 prototype. This is the Small scale stuff one which consists of many, many tiny resin bits which you somehow have to assemble (I was just pleased to end up with the right number of cylinders!) I've only added sparkplugs on the exposed cylinders for the sake of my sanity 🤪 I'll add some wires after the model is put together  . . . . maybe!

uTnQEQeYMmssOypmP9tdaakSTuzFoPQQXCnmoo_a

• Like 3

Nice work so far but just to let you know, don't be surprised if the moderators move this thread to the Work in Progress area.  About eight or nine years ago several people were doing just what you are doing now and the moderators moved them all to the Work in Progress area and pinned a message at the top of this area about it.  Things got rather slow for this part of the site for quite awhile after that.

Later,

Dave

12 minutes ago, e8n2 said:

Nice work so far but just to let you know, don't be surprised if the moderators move this thread to the Work in Progress area.  About eight or nine years ago several people were doing just what you are doing now and the moderators moved them all to the Work in Progress area and pinned a message at the top of this area about it.  Things got rather slow for this part of the site for quite awhile after that.

Later,

Dave

Cheers Dave

Not a problem if it needs to be moved, thanks for letting me know 😀

Paul

51 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

Cheers Dave

Not a problem if it needs to be moved, thanks for letting me know 😀

Paul

Personally I think that the WIPs and RFIs (Ready for Inspection) ought to be left in the regular forums.  The problem with a separate RFI section is that stuff disappears quickly from the first page and it then takes a lot of time to find it. 

Later,

Dave

• Like 2