Crash diving into my second Group Build! Revell USS Lionfish submarine ****FINISHED****

Right, time to drag this kit from the murky depths of my stash, where it has lain for almost 25 years! I started to get interested in the US submarine war in the late 90s after reading "Submarine Diary". I subsequently picked up a copy of "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair, in all its 1000+ page glory. When I saw this kit in my now long gone LMS, I snapped it up, but I don't think I was ever really sure how to tackle it, as its quite large, and still to this day the most nautical kit I've done is an Airfix 1/76 DUKW! Still, looking at it now, it does seem a fairly simple kit, but it certainly hasn't shrunk at all! I am aware, having read a few reviews, that it is far from the most accurate kit (being based on a Gato, when Lionfish itself was a Balao), but I think it will still look good (hopefully!).

So, here it is;

52167499800_8a25bd1da0_z.jpg20220622_201911 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Not a huge amount of parts!

52167499765_ef781ea3bd_z.jpg20220622_202101 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Not the largest set of instructions I've ever seen either!

52167499735_c370f25a35_z.jpg20220622_202125 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

And just a handful of decals;

52167014951_58abc494b8_z.jpg20220622_202200 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

The painting instructions (if you can even call them that!) just mention painting the lower hull red, leaving the grey plastic as is, and just painting the propellers, stand and a light on the bridge. I want to do a bit more than that, and am thinking of finishing it in the grey vertical surfaces/black horizontal surfaces scheme from later in the war (from when Lionfish would have been in service).

Got this to help me along the way;

52167499570_984358a3f7_z.jpg20220622_203011 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

OK, clear the bridge and lets get started!!

Edited by danbuoy
  • Like 8

Nice looking kit. 

Looking at that row of holes needing attention brought back memories of drilling out the portholes on an Airfix SS France liner, just the 800 of them, before starting on those above deck. Needless to say, that one is still sitting part done in its box.

Just now, TonyW said:

Nice looking kit. 

Looking at that row of holes needing attention brought back memories of drilling out the portholes on an Airfix SS France liner, just the 800 of them, before starting on those above deck. Needless to say, that one is still sitting part done in its box.

Yes, that is my concern, that I will plunge in full of enthusiasm and get the first few done (after which there is no going back) and then rapidly lose interest or the will to live!

45 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I'd be worried about the structural integrity of the lattice of fine plastic left behind because they're very closely spaced and there are going to be more holes than material 

Yes, thats a good point. Hmm, maybe I'll go with the black after all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, danbuoy said:

First question is, do I drill out all these drainage holes? I do have a Dremel, but there are rather a lot of them! Alternative is to just paint them black, but not sure how good this will look.

52165990027_c1a2161d49_z.jpg20220622_210756 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Depends on whats visible through/behind them ? If you will need to build something or have some sort of structure and don't want to/cant build it in the timeframe. Then Id just paint them Black. 

• Like 2

Yes, I was thinking that, even if I did manage to drill them all out, and the kit retain its structural integrity, it would be possible to see right through it. Without installing some kind of structure behind the holes, it will just look really odd, so I think to paint it black (to quote The Rolling Stones) is the way forward. 

• Like 2

Finally managed to get started on this last night. Spent quite a bit of time wrestling with the two hull halves, trying to get them lined up, but also holding the pin in place that the bow planes attach to. This isn't glued, so needs to be held in place by the hull pieces, and getting it all together without the pin constantly falling out was a tad frustrating, but got there in the end! So here she is so far;

52183570708_87665b8fcd_z.jpg20220629_215934 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

This is the pin, that caused some awkward moments. Will get the bow planes attached next time.

52182540817_be73166c70_z.jpg20220629_220011 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Also started to have a look at the conning tower, which comes in two halves. Looking at the photo, its very appropriate that one of the previous incarnations of this kit was USS FLASHer! Both halves of the conning tower needed quite a bit of work. Will get these attached next time too.

52183570643_db96f650f6_z.jpg20220629_220337 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That conning tower mold has seen better days. 

It certainly has. There are a few sink marks on it too, plus the seam down the middle is very obvious. 

• Like 1

Another session in the plastic shipyard last night.

Bow planes now attached;

52185706538_f8cc5a6d88_z.jpg20220630_215530 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

52185706528_c46a6b35c5_z.jpg20220630_215538 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

The stern planes and rudder were actually fitted last time. These are not glued, but are slotted in when the hull halves are attached.

52185706498_2d52f779bf_z.jpg20220630_215639 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

52185696106_a672b6d642_z.jpg20220630_215707 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Propeller shafts on. These need to be carefully positioned, so that they line up with the stern planes. The instructions would have you fit the propellors now too, but as these will need painting a different colour I'm leaving them off until later in the build.

52186182765_6c11069570_z.jpg20220630_220906 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

And finally, I've now got the deck fitted, which gives the hull some more rigidity. It looked at first like it wasn't going to fit at all, but with some careful pulling apart of the hull, it slotted right in. Getting it to fit round the capstans was the most awkward bit. It isn't actually glued in place, as in the end it fitted in nice and snugly.

52185948909_e505dc7744_z.jpg20220630_222513 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

The two pieces of the conning tower can be seen in the above photo. Not got these 2 halves attached yet, as I think they need some more work. Fit, generally, has been pretty good so far, but the conning tower looks like a definite exception.

Next stage, propeller guards and deck fittings (except for the guns, as they will be added towards the end of the build).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats looking good, looking forward to the rest of the build. 

Thanks. Its gone together pretty well so far, but, like I said the conning tower will be interesting. When it comes to painting time, it may well be a bit of a challenge!

• Like 1

Bit more work done, whilst waiting for bits to dry on my Airfix Tomahawk (seen reclining in the background!).

Machine gun mounts installed;

52197366198_cd7b12df39_z.jpg20220705_213808 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

This photo of one of the propeller guards shows the amount of ejector pin marks this kit has. I've managed to deal with some by sanding them, however a couple on this part will need some filler. This was applied last night, and I will get it sanded down next time, so for now, only one propeller guard is fitted;

52197843895_c1153282c7_z.jpg20220705_215125 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Other deck fittings (capstans, hatches etc) in place;

52197616549_7b225f60b5_z.jpg20220705_221907 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

52197351856_9ed76b08a6_z.jpg20220705_223757 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Doesn't look like a huge amount of progress, but most parts, especially the capstans required quite a bit of tidying before they could be installed. Still need to tackle the sink fest that is the conning tower!

Edited by danbuoy
  • Like 8

On 6/23/2022 at 3:28 AM, danbuoy said:

First question is, do I drill out all these drainage holes? I do have a Dremel, but there are rather a lot of them! Alternative is to just paint them black, but not sure how good this will look.

52165990027_c1a2161d49_z.jpg20220622_210756 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Wonderful kit for it's time. Keep up the nice work. 

I built this a long time ago, I did drill out the limber holes where the Diving planes are, but the others along the superstucture were left alone, just too much work there. I sanded them smooth and printed on decal paper the type of limber holes I needed for the USS Harder. There were many different configurations of limber holes during the war. I replaced items and recontoured the Sail to make it more "Harder-Like". I also replaced the deck with scribed evergreen plastic sheet, made the deck hatches/fittings more correct. But since I am a former U.S. Submariner I felt compelled. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Ballman said:

Wonderful kit for it's time. Keep up the nice work. 

I built this a long time ago, I did drill out the limber holes where the Diving planes are, but the others along the superstucture were left alone, just too much work there. I sanded them smooth and printed on decal paper the type of limber holes I needed for the USS Harder. There were many different configurations of limber holes during the war. I replaced items and recontoured the Sail to make it more "Harder-Like". I also replaced the deck with scribed evergreen plastic sheet, made the deck hatches/fittings more correct. But since I am a former U.S. Submariner I felt compelled. 

I don't suppose you have any photos? Sounds like a nice model! Fair to say mine will be a lot more "out of the box" but its going together pretty nicely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danbuoy said:

I don't suppose you have any photos? Sounds like a nice model! Fair to say mine will be a lot more "out of the box" but its going together pretty nicely. 

Sadly, this was done way before there were digital cameras on phones and internet and such. It's whereabouts is unknown, it was given to a Shipmate of mine who has since passed away in 2010.

Yeah, I understand your build is more OOB, It goes together very well and it is strong too, it held up to some rough handling and a few drop tests too. I now there are 3D printed Sails now for this kit by Model Monkey and or Shapeways. The days of pure scratch building are slowly fading away. I do it just for the fun of problem solving, keeps the mental health in check for me.

Keep your sprues empty.

JB

Edited by John Ballman
  • Like 1

I also forgot to mention that the propeller guards were not a permanent fixture on operational subs, they were installed if the Boat was going to be drydocked or extended refit periods while in port only. Some were welded on and then removed prior to deployments others had fixtures that allowed temporary attachment to the Boat.

JB

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John Ballman said:

I also forgot to mention that the propeller guards were not a permanent fixture on operational subs, they were installed if the Boat was going to be drydocked or extended refit periods while in port only. Some were welded on and then removed prior to deployments others had fixtures that allowed temporary attachment to the Boat.

JB

Thanks, I was not aware of that. Mine will have them on because, firstly I like the look and I think they add a bit of interest to the stern, and secondly because I've already attached one!  Second still needs sanding after filling in the ejector pin marks. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John Ballman said:

Gidday, I didn't know that either.

15 hours ago, John Ballman said:

I do it just for the fun of problem solving, keeps the mental health in check for me.

Me too. I like to make my own parts if I can if the kit parts aren't very good.

Gidday Dan, this is looking very good. I've only ever done two subs to date, both 1/700 scale. Sorry if you've mentioned it already but what scale is this? Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Dan, this is looking very good. I've only ever done two subs to date, both 1/700 scale. Sorry if you've mentioned it already but what scale is this? Regards, Jeff.

Thanks, it is 1/180, a bit of a random scale!

Edited by danbuoy
  • Thanks 1