Convair F-106B Delta Dart of the 49th FIS

My second build in this GB will be the Trumpeter F-106B two seat Delta Dart.  It's currently the only injection moulded 1/72nd twin stick F-106, Trumpeter also make one in 1/48th.  It looks a nice kit, when it arrived I clipped the main parts off the sprues to check against a set of plans that I had, you never know with a Trumpy kit if you are getting a race horse or a donkey.  While it is not as detailed as the Meng single seat Dart, the basics are there and it appears to fit together well.  Here is the kit with the main parts loose, the rest are still in their plastic bags, I also have a Master brass pitot tube, this and a set of resin wheels from Reskit are the only AM available, not even a canopy masking set is listed to help make this kit.

IMG_1892

Decals will come from the same Caracal decal sheet that I'm using on my single seat Dart build, with extra codes, national markings and stencils from the Fundekals sheet.

The 49th FIS markings are the stylised eagle seen on the tail of the lower image on the Caracal cover sheet.

IMG_1890

I started off by painting the cockpit parts and the exhaust components so that I can get the fuselage assembled,  all straight forward, no problems so far, I just had to make some seat straps from Tamiya masking tape, I've just got to add the kit decals to the instrument panels and the office will be ready.

IMG_1897

I thought that building 1/72nd Darts instead of my normal scale of 1/48th would be quicker, I didn't anticipate keep having to get down and find the little parts that keep falling to the floor, it's the time to get up again that's taking the time!

The wings are a simple assembly without any separate control surfaces and a one piece insert for the main undercarriage bay, so after painting the u/c bay interior green with a bit of dry brushing to highlight the details, the wing parts were assembled, again, everything fitted very well.

IMG_1898

The cockpit tub just clicks into the fuselage and with the exhaust pipe parts ready for assembly it will not be long before I can get the fuselage glued together and the wings fitted.

IMG_1900

Thanks for looking, any comments or questions are welcome.  :winkgrin:

• Like 4

Another fine choice Bob, the F-106B still has the graceful lines of the single seat aircraft, which is more than can be said for the TF-102.

It will be good to see a Trumpeter build alongside your Meng kit to highlight any differences and to show if all the very nice added details of the Meng kit will actually be visible at the end.

Again, a very nice start on the cockpit and engine section.👍

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Managed to get some more work done on this build, my other GB build is taking most of my time as the Meng kit does not fit together as well as this kit does.

I added a touch of filler and cleaned up the wings, added the pylons for the fuel tanks.  the intakes on this kit are more robust and fitted better than the Meng kit with just a bit of filler, there is no intake ducting to complicate assembly as it cannot be seen anyway, just a blanking plate at the rear of the intake section that I painted black.  I was just about to glue the fuselage together and add the wings when I realised that I hadn't made the nose wheel bay. :doh:  So as soon as it has been assembled and painted I can get everything glued together.

IMG_1914

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Eeww 😉 never quite understood the decision behind the design of the TF-102. 

Like the twin tub EE Lightnings, it's so ugly it becomes beautiful again. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Like the twin tub EE Lightnings, it's so ugly it becomes beautiful again. 

Cheers,

Andre

Well to be honest the lightning's look better than the TF-102, but thats just a simple by-product of the basic design. Do I like the TF-102’s no, will I build one to have a complete set of century builds. Yes along with the twin seaters of all the other types. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very interested to see how the fuselage halves go together.

They went together with a satisfying click, Craig.  Nose wheel bay assembled and glued in and now it's together with the wings on.  I remember why I hadn't done the nose wheel bay earlier, you have to attach the nose leg during assembly and I was looking to see if I could make it without the nose leg and install that after painting, not possible without a lot of work so it's as per the kit instructions.  A whole lot less hassle than the Meng kit, It's just a pity Trompeter moulded the air brakes as part of the fuselage.

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

lovely work with the filler bob looks cleanly done.

Thanks Paul, the fit of the intakes was pretty good, just a smear of liquid putty on the rear joint and the job was done. The Trumpeter intakes are larger than those on the Meng kit.

• Like 2