Tamiya 1/350 HMS King George V...?'s

Devo

G'day all,

A couple of questions.

Which wooden deck is the right one to buy for the Tamiya kit? I'm doing her in late 1945, with the non standard paint scheme applied in Australia.

I'm going OOB for the rest of the build. Never used a wooden deck before. Do I need to remove any of the kits detail before applying the wooden deck?

Cheers,

Devo

I’ve used a few wooden decks in 1/350 and 1/700 and usually get them from here https://www.bnamodelworld.com/

Which luckily is in the same country as you, so postage should be cheaper AND quicker. I have found that their prices are usually cheaper than other suppliers. 
Not sure what you mean by ‘which one is right’ the ones I’ve used have 

been from various manufacturers and all have fitted well.

With regards removing kit detail, unlikely, but you will know when you come to fit the deck. More often you don’t ADD detail until the deck is in place.

Jon

I have one from BNA as well for this kit as far as I can see its designed to fit straight over, I haven't fitted it yet but it looks very good, it will be going on soon....look forward to seeing yours in progress 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:31 PM, Faraway said:

I’ve used a few wooden decks in 1/350 and 1/700 and usually get them from here https://www.bnamodelworld.com/

Which luckily is in the same country as you, so postage should be cheaper AND quicker. I have found that their prices are usually cheaper than other suppliers. 
Not sure what you mean by ‘which one is right’ the ones I’ve used have 

been from various manufacturers and all have fitted well.

With regards removing kit detail, unlikely, but you will know when you come to fit the deck. More often you don’t ADD detail until the deck is in place.

Jon

On 6/23/2022 at 7:03 PM, Rich75 said:

I have one from BNA as well for this kit as far as I can see its designed to fit straight over, I haven't fitted it yet but it looks very good, it will be going on soon....look forward to seeing yours in progress 

Thanks for your response's fella's.👍

I wasn't sure if a Pontos deck was better than an Artwox deck was better than another brand etc etc and vice a versa.🤔

Another question regarding paints.

Getting the right paints made by Colourcoats is near on impossible in my part of the world. I only know of one shop in Australia to buy them them from and he is out of stock for what I need. As I have my kit (after a decade of procrastinating over buying it), I dont want to wait x amount of time waiting on getting Colourcoats paint.

What Humbrol or Tamiya equivalents can I use for NARN 22 G-45, NARN 36 B-20 and Majors Anti-fouling Grey??

Thanks All,

Devo

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

LifeColor do a set of paint for Royal Navy Eastern Approachs. How accurate they are I’m not sure.

Jon

1 hour ago, Rich75 said:

I think hataka have a decent range of RN colours too, but how accurate I don't know, I have only used colourcoats myself, nice scheme though don't see it very often...

Hi folks, both the above are based on the Snyder & Short chips originally offered by White Ensign Models as the original Colourcoats Royal Navy range at the turn of the millennium until we scrapped them in 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi folks, both the above are based on the Snyder & Short chips originally offered by White Ensign Models as the original Colourcoats Royal Navy range at the turn of the millennium until we scrapped them in 2018.

So not a bad shout then if @Devo can get them for his build?

18 hours ago, Rich75 said:

So not a bad shout then if @Devo can get them for his build?

We did have to ditch them following the new research but without a big colour matching exercise with competitors' products (which isn't an exercise that will benefit me in the slightest) then they may be deemed serviceable.

The G45 Snyder & Short chip is just wrong. It's badly aged and the binder has turned brown. This is similar to the sample of 507C held at Portsmouth which is the worst I've seen personally. An alternative would be to use the Snyder & Short matched 507C which isn't too bad but is too light and lacks the blue component it should have. The Snyder & Short matched B20 is too dark and again has the rogue yellow component from old paint binder turning yellow, rendering the appearance a greenish blue.

Scheme_A_Colourcoats_vs_SnyderandShort.p

There won't be a match for Moravia anti-fouling grey out there. That's something Richard Dennis discovered only relatively recently and we don't have a match either because there's nothing to match to - there are no known surviving samples of it, no colour data nor any known formula we can recreate and reverse engineer. We have instead estimated an approximation from our existing range based upon how the tone/brightness compares with neighbouring colours we do have the data for e.g. Home Fleet Grey.

• Like 1

Thanks All for your input.

As I am exclusively a hairy stick painter I shall try and match some Humbrol paints. (I prefer enamel's) and they are readily available to buy.

Cheers,

Devo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foeth said:

Incidentally, I just uploaded a new post with previously unseen pics (well, to me at least) of KGV in Australia with a link to the famous Alan C Green pics

Thank you for sharing these!

• Like 1