Hasegawa/Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2 23 Squadron 1975

I'm calling this one done.  It's the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa Phantom F-4M, or FGR.2, in 1/48th.

It represents XV434 "J" when it flew with 23 Squadron in the mid 1970's.  I have always admired the green/gray RAF camo and thought my first FGR should honor the "classic" RAF camo.

Of course there are a few "oops" moments with the kit.  No fault of Hasegawa, but some blame to Revell for the decals.  A few of the stencils silvered.  I used the kit wheels (incorrect for the RAF) but I hated the rubber tires that came with either this kit or the Hasegawa kit that I also have.  I have one set of Aires RAF Phantom wheels that I plan to use on my next build.  Please forgive me for using the American wheels.  I don't get to uptight over wheels anyway.  Also I waited to install the canopy sections until the very end because I wanted to add the Eduard photoetch canopy details.  I should have at least put on the windscreen and center section so I could get them set and blended in before painting.  

There is a Work in Progress entry but it quickly moves down in the pages.  I just don't know how to link it.

If interested you can search for this:  Phantom FGR.2 Hasevell 1/48 (britmodeller.com)

If you have any questions please ask.

1/48 Phanton FGR.2 5

1/48 Phanton FGR.2 8

1/48 Phanton FGR.2 9

1/48 Phanton FGR.2 3

1/48 Phanton FGR.2 7

The weapons load is what I read was typical for UK based air defense, 4x4 AIM-7/9 with 3 bags for extra range.  

1/48 Phanton FGR.2 4

Edited by Mark V
Typos
  • Like 68
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mark V said:

There is a Work in Progress entry but it quickly moves down in the pages.  I just don't know how to link it.

Find the thread, copy the address, paste here:

but your method did lead me straight to it, also.

Looks nice, but as a contrarian I actually prefer the grey period- for some reason I've never adjusted to "standard British camouflage" on a Phantom!  Ironic, since I also sometimes complain about "boring grey jets".  Some people are never satisfied!

bob

Absolute stunner. I like your choice of scheme too. This looks like a great kit and a real bargain since being reboxed by Revell. 👍👍 I've one in the stash and all that's stopping me is deciding what squadron markings to go for! 😁 Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Phantastic 'tom

Models of these beasties tended to be rather on the grubby side and and it didnt work very well compared to the Lightning (just an opinion).

This rendition, while definitely  ungrubby(?) Looks absolutely just right.  Just love it.

• Like 1

It looks great and the finish is spot on. Glad you didn’t go for the patchwork quilt effect👍, looks so much better for it.

• Like 2

Lovely Phantom, very nice work.

Top marks for getting the missiles and their colours spot on

White AIM-7 Sparrows and AIM-9G Sidewinders.

For your grey Falklands bird light aircraft grey Skyflash and light ghost grey AIM-9L Sidewinders.