1/35 Dolphin USCG Finished at last!

Here's my Trumpeter 1/35 Dolphin HH65C. It was a mixed bag with the build parts that didnt fit included all of the glazing around the front and the engines, engine covers, landing gear, nose and tail rotor. Nothing major in terms of fit that wasn't easy enough to fix just a bit tedious and with large parts which are windows it certainly made me question on occasion whether or not this was even going to get completed. I added my own detail inside and out which was milliput for all of the internal equipment in the back. Spare photoetch and electrical tape for straps and lead wire for internal comms connections. On the outside I added stretched sprue for the wire which is attached to an antenna to a point under the tail rotor. The wires around the search light and also the engine that is visible plus all of the door handles. At a few points along the build I really did think it was going in the bin but in the end I think it tirned out well. I never would have guessed a shiny orange helicopter wouldhave used up all my masking tape which was almost 2 rolls! But it did. The model was painted with tamiya red and orange about 1:5 parts orange to 8:5 parts red this mix to my eye looks like international orange. The clear coat was Tamiya clear and the decals are from Caracal which give you all of the squadrons so the best looking one to me was Texas so it has Houston written on it. The kit comes with photo etch sprue and in areas the detail isreally good and others non existent. It's as if two people worked on it, one who wanted to make a great kit and the other couldn't be bothered. I drilled out the APU exhaust as it's just a circular indent but the front has a photo etch grill with full length intake so that's the sort of thing I am on about. Anyway enough of my complaining it adds a splash a very bright one at that to my collection and I hope you all like it.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 44

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I like it very much!

Thanks it turned out better than I had expected.  Looks good on my shelf now brightens up the grey and green everywhere lol.

Edited by Deano353
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodmin said:

Lovely build there. Well worth the time spent.

Thanks man it was hit and miss at times but glad I finished it!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

The colours look spot on, thats a super looking Dolphin:like:. I dont think we see enough helicopters on here so thanks for posting this one.

Pete

Thanks Pete, yeah there's not a lot of helicopters on here and I'm assuming this is still military just very bright that's all lol. I think I have seen maybe one of these made before. Not sure if it was on here thiugh.

I love to see USCG models as I have had the privilege to work with them over the years and your helo is super!

As for the question of military/not military, the answer is that the USCG is part of the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and operates under the Navy during times of war.

• Like 1

@Alpha Delta 210 Thanks for the explanation! I was in the Royal Navy myself and during the Gulf deployment straight after 9/11 happened (My ship was on the way to the Gulf 2 weeks prior to 9/11 it happened along the way) I recalled seeing a USCG ship and I did wonder why they would be in the Gulf. That answers that! Also being a service that switches roles is quite interesting.  I am thinking of another USCG aircraft since they're so vibrant in colours.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, noelh said:

I just remember it from  Baywatch. I remember  other things from  Baywatch. Similar  colours too. 😘

A mate said the same thing so I have asked another mate with a 3D printer if a Pamela Anderson from Baywatch could be printed to go alongside it. If that happens I will be sure to post it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Deano353 said:

@Alpha Delta 210 Thanks for the explanation! I was in the Royal Navy myself and during the Gulf deployment straight after 9/11 happened (My ship was on the way to the Gulf 2 weeks prior to 9/11 it happened along the way) I recalled seeing a USCG ship and I did wonder why they would be in the Gulf. That answers that! Also being a service that switches roles is quite interesting.  I am thinking of another USCG aircraft since they're so vibrant in colours.

They served during Overlord as well and they are (rightly) remembered at the American Cemetry at Madingley. I've always thought that if I had been a US citizen, I would have joined the USCG as they seem to do a bit of everything! I understand that some "Coasties" are now serving in the US Navy SEALS.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This thread is nearly a year old and I have only just seen it.

Just wanted to compliment the results.

I read through the WIP thread, certainly not an easy build but I think the end results justify all your hard work and frustrations.

• Like 1

Glad this is taking another bow, I missed it the first time. Looks like a superb subject, really well finished as a neat, clean machine!

Will have to get one of these!

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'd forgotten about this thread hahaha. Haven't posted anything in a long time but hopefully in the next month or two I'll be posting the Airfix 1/24 Hellcat. It's certainly going together easier than this Dolphin did. I'm glad it came out as well as it did. I would say it's worth the effort and other than decals I never found anything to update the kit with so had to build everything myself.

• Like 1