Airfix 1:72 Hawker Typhoon 1B

This venture started as a little something to do whilst I was caravanning earlier this month. My intention was to complete an OOB model using the paints in the start set, nothing fancy, just something to occupy myself for the odd hour on an evening. Unfortunately when it came to painting no fewer than 3 of the 6 supplied paints were dry as a bone so I couldn't complete it. Gutted as I was I finished it off at home. I chose to use the colours called for in the instructions,  (although it's quite obviously now that the green is too bright) as I wanted it to represent what it might have looked like had the paints not been dry. It was looking pretty good until I tried some homemade weathering washes. Anyway, here it is. Let's just called it battle hardened.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 25

16 minutes ago, Paul Alan Bardell said:

Very nice looing Typhoon -  may be it's my screen but the colours look ok to me.

B R

:poppy:

Cheers. I used Humbrol 30 for the green which is way too green. The dark weathering may have helped a bit

17 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

I agree about the green but the model as a whole (and your weathering) look great to me!

Thanks Phil. But I did leave out picturing the underside which looked the worse I think. 

Great result though despite your reservations about the green. It's a great kit in my opinion.

I've been in that situation with the colour many times so here's a tip for a repaint. Carefully paint some masking fluid over the decals (with a small brush) that are within the areas that need repainting, then just re-airbrush the new colour over the top of the old very carefully (thinned well). As you are freehand spraying the camo use as small a nozzle as you can and blend the edges carefully. Just be careful removing the masking fluid from the decals....if you're too heavy handed you may pull them off, but if they're sealed with varnish from before they should be fine.

I've done this loads of times when after everything is complete I'm not happy with a colour choice.

Hope this helps 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the infamous Airfix colour call-outs. Truth be told it doesn't look too bad at all, rather nice in fact, and certainly not as heavily weathered as many models. I am less sure about the shed-dragging though....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Natter said:

....... I am less sure about the shed-dragging though....

🤣 hey don't mock it. Besides, it's cheaper than therapy.

• Like 1