Ed Roth and friends.

You can't have a Revell Group Build without Ed Roth getting involved. Revell made out like gangbusters on the back of Eds output and sold kits of his cars and Finks by the million. I love the things. Pure sixties pop, surf and car culture all rolled into one.

To kick off , I'll be doing yet another Rat Fink, probably the most well known of his Fink output. More will follow.

IMG-3798.jpg

It's a current boxing that comes with a card building and sign that will work well with some of the cars I plan to add here. Ratfink himself is pretty much a painting exercise. with only a handful of parts but he's a great excuse to break out the bright colours. 

• Like 8

Here we go - I wonder what other delights have been unearthed in that loft of yours?

If you ever need a hand tidying your loft, I'm your man. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Great stuff. Add a Robin style mask and a cape for SUPER RATFINK!

It's funny you should say that Pete....

Best get this one done first though. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Six97s said:

You've reminded me I have a reissue of the Outlaw that includes a "Robbin Hood Fink" figure.  😬

One of the more bizzare in the series, and that's saying something! I get the feeling Ed Roth wasn't up to speed with UK Bandits. It would be good to see one built up here. Hint hint.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Six97s said:

You've reminded me I have a reissue of the Outlaw that includes a "Robbin Hood Fink" figure.  😬

Your comment got me searching out a kit I had long forgotten about, an old Robin Hood Fink that has been around the block a few times. I part stripped it down for refreshing years ago and here it is now . It's a nineties re release and would have been new when I got it.

IMG-3808.jpg

I used bleach or caustic soda for paint removal at that time, it looks like neither would touch the gold base on the Hoods face. I'll give it a dip in rubbing alcohol and see if that helps.

I'm not short of a kit or two for the GB, but this one might need doing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Your comment got me searching out a kit I had long forgotten about, an old Robin Hood Fink that has been around the block a few times. I part stripped it down for refreshing years ago and here it is now . It's a nineties re release and would have been new when I got it.

Yep, that's the one I have.  I was going to build it with normal wheels, since the rest appears to be the original Outlaw kit.

Ratfink has started his weekend with a bit of bondage. Possibly a first for Britmodeller, but then we are living in interesting times.

IMG-3814.jpg

Five parts assembled so far. Front and back, two feet and a nose. That only leaves his tail and eyeballs for the assembly to be complete. Perfect Blitzbuild fodder really.

He's out drying in the early morning sunshine at the moment. By lunchtime a bit of sanding and priming should be possible. Metallics and Candies can't be far behind that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm sure this thread will be the treat of this summer :popcorn:

It's going to be a treat for me, yet alone anyone else. 😎

If this morning is anything to go by, it's going to branch off all over the place and drag in various sixties period oddballs along the way.

As an example, while I'm waiting on RF to dry enough for further work, I've been dragging out some old Fink stuff to see what can be added to the GB. This Monogram Big Deuce with added finks needs a thorough renovation. It's not a candidate for a thread here as it's beyond the part built rule. It will be getting renovated non the less as it's time has come. It will be attended to alongside my thread builds. 

I built a series of these back in the nineties. I was a member of a very active model club, called the South London Auto Modellers. SLAM for short. We put on model displays at various car events. Our big one of the year was the Essex Nationals with the NASC car club. My contributions were usually Monogram and Fink related and this Deuce was a regular attender.

IMG-3817.jpg

It's been damaged and rebuilt endlessly over the years. In the end I filled the whole car with HiEx foam to try to hold it together.

New wheels, bumpers and screen are on the cards. The wheels on the car are resin castings I made from the Lindberg Bucket T ones. They were the best I could do at the time. I can do better now, so a proper set of steel big and littles are going to be made for the car to give it the look I always wanted at the time. The paintwork will polish back a bit more but there's quite a few dings and biffs that have been picked up over the years. I'll save what I can without removing the cars history.

The figures are both modified Roth Finks. Mr Gasser got a new haircut and arms, Rat Fink got new arms, one draped over the deck, the other hanging over the door. Both finished in metallic paints with candy colours over that. They could do with being redone as there is a fair bit of damage to both. I'll have a think about how I'll progress with these two.

While I'm banging on about old times, the current Rat Fink is staring absent minded out over my veggy garden, waiting his turn.

IMG-3815.jpg

His ears got a smear of Milliput added just now, to fix a prominent seam that showed a bit too much to ignore.

I hope that's a bit of Milliput next to him, not a dropping!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Rat Fink got a bit of Tamiya gold spray paint as an undercoat for clear topcoats on Saturday afternoon. A bit of topcoating followed. A problem immediately surfaced.

IMG-3843.jpg

If I carry on painting as planed, all I will end up with is a copy of a RF I already have! A change of direction is called for. I'll have a stab at airbrushing the figure with solid colours instead. Still bright and in 'yer face, but not the way I did on RF Mk1.

The card garage is all one bit now as well.

IMG-3844.jpg

I like it and will definitely be using it for Roth related stuff. Quite why Revell added it to a Rat Fink figure is anyone's guess. He's more connected with the tshirt side of Ed Roths output. The building has more of an affinity with the pinstriping and car painting side of things. Roths flamed '57 Chevy would be a natural here, the fink stuff less so. Nitpicking from me really, I should just be happy to have the thing.

IMG-3845.jpg

Sunday saw me at a model show in Littleport, just up the road from me. A first class event and highly enjoyable from every angle. My club had a stand, and I brought along a few display items. A couple of Finks and some of the kits built for the just finished Matchbox GB.

IMG-3832.jpg

There were plenty of trade stands there and a lot of under the table selling going on. I struck pure gold under one table.

IMG-3841.jpg

What's the chances of finding Roth stuff at more than reasonable prices? Not only Roth, the same private seller also had the other car kits shown. The PT boat was a fiver, found under another table on about my fifth circuit of the hall. The prizegiving was going on when I found it, so it had sat there un noticed for the whole day!

My GB building schedule now needs modifying a bit to accommodate these goodies. 

• Like 8

The garage looks good, I need to assemble mine. I think the reason it was included with Rat Fink was to add extra value to a kit with so few parts, a bit like the Tiki Hut with the Surfite kit.

The show display looks eye catching, I bet it got a few comments. Well done on the kit purchases too, the Beatnik Bandit looks like an early issue.