Cleaning paint overspray off your hands

Mike

If you sometimes hold items to spray them like I do, you'll occasionally overspray, and like I've just done, you'll end up with black (other colours are available) fingertips.  It's not very pretty and can rub off on your clothes and precious furnishing, even after it has dried.

I have a box of wet wipes on the top of my spray booth that you'd use to clean up a baby's bum, which isn't a reflection of my modelling skills... I hope?  Once you've finished spraying, grab one and use it to wipe the paint off your hands, knees and other areas.  It works with all sorts of paint, including lacquers and thinners-based primers like Alclad.  I was quite impressed with how effective it was, and although I've used it before, I'd forgotten about it until now. :doh:

Thought I'd share it ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wear a latex/rubber glove on the hand being sprayed at

I have a box of 100 latex/rubber gloves which from which I wear three when dyeing leather. Sometimes, usually, I just reuse a stained glove when spray painting

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I should, but I find my hands get a bit clammy, so tend not to bother.  Terribly lazy I know :shrug:

Baby wipes are brilliant, and they shift hardened bird poo of your car as well.

Stubborn paint gets shifted with neat unleaded and a rag. Just wash your hands afterwards and take the normal precautions.

Sometimes I don't trow out the coffee grinds after breakfast, and when done airbrushing first apply soap, and then a generous spoon of coffee grinds to my wet and soapy hands. Rub vigorously, this works like a scrub. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, Black Knight said:

I have a box of 100 latex/rubber gloves which from which I wear three when dyeing leather. Sometimes, usually, I just reuse a stained glove when spray painting

I do this as well, and it’s amazing how many times you can reuse them before you throw them out. I pull it off so that the dirty side is the inside, and the next day all is dry and I can use them again without the paint staining my fingers. Spray, remove and repeat! And repeat! And so on…

For cleaning my dirty fingers I use a soap intended for auto shops and the like. In Sweden I buy the cheapest one I can find for the moment, but it’s important that it have some kind of material (like small stones) that help get the hands clean. Sorry I can’t find the correct words or product right now. Hope you understand what I’m getting at 🙂

44 minutes ago, Dunderklumpen said:

but it’s important that it have some kind of material (like small stones) that help get the hands clean.

The coffee grinds from my reply  perform the same function.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunderklumpen said:

For cleaning my dirty fingers I use a soap intended for auto shops and the like.

I use gloves when I remember and wipes for when I forget

My father worked as a blacksmith in the coal mines (back when they existed here)

There was a massive drum of Swarfega in the garage, which is probably similar to what you are describing.

Of course, these days there are products specifically for modellers https://ak-interactive.com/product/purifier-hand-cleanser/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psdavidson said:

I use gloves when I remember and wipes for when I forget

My father worked as a blacksmith in the coal mines (back when they existed here)

There was a massive drum of Swarfega in the garage, which is probably similar to what you are describing.

Of course, these days there are products specifically for modellers https://ak-interactive.com/product/purifier-hand-cleanser/

I've occasionally wondered about the origin of the Swarfega product's name.  I wonder if it was designed to form a protective film, thus allowing swarf to be washed off without cutting oneself.

Edited by JosephLalor

On 29/06/2022 at 17:25, psdavidson said:

I am constantly amazed by the "modelling" products produced by this, and some other companies for which I have identical stuff in the garage or can get for next to nothing at the hardware or discount store.

I saw my favourite on-line model store had some AK copper wire for the best part of three quid which would be exactly the same as what I have in my scratch building box stripped from a hedge cutter that went to the tip last Sunday. And a Tamiya pozidrive screwdriver for twelve quid.

I'm expecting Mig Ammo toilet paper in the near future. Obviously only to be used when leaving the bench for relief, not when watching the telly or anything....

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

AK copper wire for the best part of three quid

Yeah, it is a bit.  You can buy lead fly-tying wire for a few quid a roll, or pay a few more quid for a metre off that roll in a ziploc bag because it says "modelling" on it.  it's the same thing with cotton buds.  I'm not sure which way round it goes, but the same product is different prices in the baby or beauty aisles :dull:

On 6/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, Black Knight said:

Ditto on gloves. I suffer from eczema/dry skin and gloves are a necessity. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Yeah, it is a bit.  You can buy lead fly-tying wire for a few quid a roll, or pay a few more quid for a metre off that roll in a ziploc bag because it says "modelling" on it.  it's the same thing with cotton buds.  I'm not sure which way round it goes, but the same product is different prices in the baby or beauty aisles :dull:

Last time I bought cotton buds; 50p for 150 in Baby, or £3 for 50 in Beauty, Different packaging; Baby was a tub with a lift up section on the lid to dispense, Beauty was a sealed cellophane bag

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Luckily, as I work for NHS as an engineer, it means there is an ample supply of gloves and surgical wipes available. I'm not nicking them as there is a 'use-by' date for medical stuff when they can't be used on patients anymore.

Plastic doesn't care however so I intercept and recycle them. :D

• Like 1