Cleaning paint overspray off your hands

Mike

If you sometimes hold items to spray them like I do, you'll occasionally overspray, and like I've just done, you'll end up with black (other colours are available) fingertips.  It's not very pretty and can rub off on your clothes and precious furnishing, even after it has dried.

I have a box of wet wipes on the top of my spray booth that you'd use to clean up a baby's bum, which isn't a reflection of my modelling skills... I hope?  Once you've finished spraying, grab one and use it to wipe the paint off your hands, knees and other areas.  It works with all sorts of paint, including lacquers and thinners-based primers like Alclad.  I was quite impressed with how effective it was, and although I've used it before, I'd forgotten about it until now. :doh:

Thought I'd share it ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wear a latex/rubber glove on the hand being sprayed at

I have a box of 100 latex/rubber gloves which from which I wear three when dyeing leather. Sometimes, usually, I just reuse a stained glove when spray painting

8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I wear a latex/rubber glove on the hand being sprayed at

I should, but I find my hands get a bit clammy, so tend not to bother.  Terribly lazy I know :shrug:

Baby wipes are brilliant, and they shift hardened bird poo of your car as well.

Stubborn paint gets shifted with neat unleaded and a rag. Just wash your hands afterwards and take the normal precautions.

Sometimes I don't trow out the coffee grinds after breakfast, and when done airbrushing first apply soap, and then a generous spoon of coffee grinds to my wet and soapy hands. Rub vigorously, this works like a scrub. 

Cheers,

Andre

+1 for gloves. Lab supplies are great!

Nail polish remover does a lot of removal tricks for me too.