Mud Trap

I have been experimenting with different types of methods lately. This time is with mud. Yep! Good old natural mud.  I used mud collected from a neighboring farmer's dirt road. Really fine dirt, I must add. All I did in this diorama, was add PVA glue, and a little water, and Voila! The muddy puddles you see were done using a mixture of Liquitex gloss medium & varnish, and their Transparent Raw Sienna ink for the muddy look. I also tried a little mixture of MIG wet effects and Liquitex Raw Sienna. I think the end result looks pretty convincing. I am still fine tuning the surrounding areas by doing some dry-brushing on the mud, to bring out the different texture. But so far, it appeals to me. The model itself is from AMT 350 Pay hauler. I had this kit for a while and did not know what to do with it. The big bucket was cut down to fit. So there is no chassi just the big bucket and front end of the pay hauler. I did much on the interior with some additions and some minor scratch built parts. This scenes inspiration was taken from many photos of collapse mines or sink holes that dumpers and machines alike, have fallen victims. As always, I like to always do some different and try to go one-step further.

mud_trap_dumper13-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper11-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper2-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper3-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper4-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper5-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper6-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper7-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper8-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper9-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper10-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper1-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper1a-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper12-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper12a-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper14-vi.jpg
mud_trap_dumper15-vi.jpg

Edited by tiking
  • Like 38

This is just suberb! You got the terrain just right, the difference between wet muddy sinkhole and dryer area around it is very convincing.

Best, 

Mjoo

3 hours ago, Mjoo said:

This is just suberb! You got the terrain just right, the difference between wet muddy sinkhole and dryer area around it is very convincing.

Best, 

Mjoo

Thank you Mjoo

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Looks great, and if you could make everything edible, it'd make a groovy design for a cake too :yes:

HaHa!!!! Goiod one.

2 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Wow, that's really effective. The muddy puddles look real

Thank you. Glad you approve. :)

2 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

"Bring a shovel and yer flask with ya Jim,we're goin' ta be here for most of the afternoon"

:goodjob: :speak_cool: :thumbsup:.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Love it!!!! Well, it's going to take about 4 diggers to get that thing out. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

The consequences of testing the depth of mud with both feet at the same time.

In some ways the scene has a slight post-apocalyptic feel to it ...

Hahaha! Confidence is good in certain situations. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great dio tiking,it's just a guess but i'm betting the driver doesn't work for the company anymore...

It won't be the first time someone's dropped one in.

R.11b7499408a0b9748b61b7d370534c3e?rik=g

Edited to add: Photo from a rather random https://approidtechnologies.com/dumper-crash-huge-mega-machines-mining-truck-excavator-tipper-belaz-komatsu-liebherr-volvo-cat/

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

It's a clever idea, well finished. I believe some modellers who use real soil in their dioramas first microwave it first to kill any "bugs" and things which might grow. Interesting thought ... which always give me the creeps.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

Put'erin low and giver, great work.

Thank you. 

On 6/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, Vince1159 said:

Great dio tiking,it's just a guess but i'm betting the driver doesn't work for the company anymore...

He's being investigated by the review board. 

23 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Edited to add: Photo from a rather random https://approidtechnologies.com/dumper-crash-huge-mega-machines-mining-truck-excavator-tipper-belaz-komatsu-liebherr-volvo-cat/

There are quite a few incidents. Seen worse photos of similar and different scenerios. 

23 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

For crying out loud i feel sorry for whoever was in that!...

The driver is being reviewed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Peter2 said:

It's a clever idea, well finished. I believe some modellers who use real soil in their dioramas first microwave it first to kill any "bugs" and things which might grow. Interesting thought ... which always give me the creeps.

I can understand.. Though, i have not microwaved the dirt it seems save as I have had it for several Years inban air tight container before using it. I haven't seen anything like micro bugs, or any bio-grade growth that might cause issues. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:33 PM, Alex Gordon said:

Neither does the mechcanic who put six tyres on the front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Neither does the mechcanic who put six tyres on the front.

Oooppps! How did I miss that?!!! Fake all the way. I also see the blurs that comes from manipulating when someone does not do a good job diplicating a sectional photo, hence the triple tyres on all four axis. Now, although this photo of the triple axis is fake the scenario is real. 

27 minutes ago, tiking said:

Oooppps! How did I miss that?!!! Fake all the way. I also see the blurs that comes from manipulating when someone does not do a good job diplicating a sectional photo, hence the triple tyres on all four axis. Now, although this photo of the triple axis is fake the scenario is real. 

That website seems to be prone to a spot of Photoshop Rash

R.856b05a80ffa315a392f844e971aa15e?rik=%

There are all sorts of photos here http://www.miningmayhem.com/ that show how dodgy the big machines game can be.

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I'm sure the falling into mud part must have happened.

It has. I've read real life miners take on the whole issue. There are idiots who like to destroy the reality of actual situations and turn them into obscured photo tricks. But I've seen many untampered photos that show the true nature of these mining incidents. 

• Like 1