Monogram B58 - first released 1958

0-C9-EA7-C8-50-B6-4-E9-C-8-C2-D-334-AAE5This one’s especially significant for me as it’s the last kit I that my Dad built. Odd scale but 1/121! Still in the post but according to the tracking info it’s out for delivery. I can’t wait…

Just found the copyright notice on the instructions and it’s actually 1958!!!

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 11

• Marklo changed the title to Monogram B58 - first released 1971

080-A230-E-9234-417-A-B8-D4-2-EECC9-A34-Of course I had to go and find this, now I’m totally conflicted, my Dad built the kit OOB in the box art NMF scheme, but it looks so good in the SEA camo….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

There’s also an option to do the SEA scheme with black undersides. Hmm I’m not a big fan of NMF but I love the look of SEA camo hmmmm..,

1-D51-B19-A-9-D89-4262-8019-1-C00-B2-A6-
Heres one I prepared earlier :) 

• Like 1

According to the Thomas Graham book, the Monogram B-58 was originally issued in 1958. I remember reading somewhere that there is some doubt as to whether B-58s were actually given the SEA camouflage, though there was a camouflage diagram issued for it by the USAF.

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

080-A230-E-9234-417-A-B8-D4-2-EECC9-A34-Of course I had to go and find this, now I’m totally conflicted, my Dad built toe kit OOB in the box art NMF scheme, but it looks so good in the SEA camo….

Looks even more awesome with the Black belly. 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/b-58/b-58_profile02.shtml

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Yes, but I kind of like the white too ( or is it pale grey ?)

Officially Lt. grey, but visually more a cream white color. If you work with Tamiya at all my two go to mixes are 

SEA Lt Gray #1 =XF2 white + XF19 sky grey 5:1 mix

SEA Lt Gray # 2 = XF2 White + XF55 Deck Tan 5:1 mix

I have mixes for all the colors if you're interested ? 

• Thanks 1

Sure thing the first mix is the one I usually use. 

U.S.A.F. SEA # 1

Dark Green = XF81 RAF Dark Green + a few drops of XF 69 NATO black in 4:1. Add XF1 or XF3 to lighten if needed. 

Med Green = XF67 Nato Green  + a few drops of XF 1 or XF 3 to lighten if needed.

Tan = XF59 Desert Yellow, + XF55 Deck tan 1:1 mix If it feels dark add a little white. 

The alternate mix list is a bit different in the colors but Ive seen kits done and they look good. You've got both of the grey's already. 

U.S.A.F. SEA # 2

USAF DK.green = Tamiya XF-61 Dk.Grn., 

USAF Med.Green = XF-65 Field grey/green

USAF Tan = XF-59 desert yellow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see the kit still includes the trigger part to make the Hustler drop its weapon pod. Do the instructions still tell you how to make that work? The release button is the round part sticking up between the two front cockpits on the photo on the box.

• Like 1

• Marklo changed the title to Monogram B58 - first released 1958
5 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

Do the instructions still tell you how to make that work?

That would be a yes. They are wonderfully old fashioned. I think the kit I’ve gotten hold of is pretty old.

7995-F167-C662-443-F-B0-A5-E14-A971239-D

ED01114-D-261-F-41-E2-8639-384-BC78-F5-B

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

And just to complete my day I’ve just realised that as well as having no interior the kit has raised panel lines, which if you read my threads at all you will realise I consider to be a crime against nature and will have to go which means I have four rescribes in my wip :( 

10 hours ago, Marklo said:

And just to complete my day I’ve just realised that as well as having no interior the kit has raised panel lines, which if you read my threads at all you will realise I consider to be a crime against nature and will have to go which means I have four rescribes in my wip :( 

A Monogram Classic. I've never built one so it will be good to see yours come together.

The raised panel lines are a bit much in this scale and I think removing them is a good idea. Would very fine pencil lines work as a substitute?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1853-F993-EB30-4679-A697-C0-A2-E1-D95110A bit of assembly completed. I haven’t bothered with an interior yet as I suspect nothing will be visible post assembly. The whole thing has been given  a rough brush coat of gray preparatory to sanding off all the panel lines :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...