Italian P-51D Mustang, Airfix 1/72

Good evening all,

Tonight I have for inspection the well known Airfix Mustang. I won't run through the build process as everyone should be aware of it by now.
As usual, I wanted to pick a less common scheme - this often proves to be the most fun part of model building (the research and gathering of pics).

Accordingly, I used an Xtradecal sheet to build an Italian Mustang from shortly following the war, while Italy was awaiting Vampires. They also used P47s, Spitfire Vs, P39s, and heavily modified P38s in this time.

In a break from tradition, this one was brush painted instead of spray painted. I think the results are slightly better, as the finish looks a little tired, but in the future I may stick with the rattle cans for the sake of expedience.

Right, the pics -

Italian P51 Italian P51 Italian P51

Next up will be a Gladiator or 3, the PRU Hurricane (Honest! I just need varnish.) and a 109G. A Defiant may sneak in as well if I get around to finding a spare roundel.

Thanks all,

Best,
Tweener

• Like 21

On 6/22/2022 at 2:33 AM, Winenut said:

Nice job with a scheme not often seen

Well done!

On 6/22/2022 at 6:13 AM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice!

Saluti

Giampiero

On 6/22/2022 at 12:43 PM, Wulfman said:

Nice job on the Mustang !

Wulfman

Thanks all! I'm having a lot of fun finding less common schemes lately. There's plenty more to hit RFI soon!

On 6/22/2022 at 2:10 PM, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Very nice!! I never realized they flew in Italian markings, but then jets are more my thing. 

I was surprised how many types Italy used just following the war, including some prewar types like the Ro.41 that served into the 50s.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:42 AM, Bodmin said:

Nice finish, brush painted or not.

I was surprised by how it came out but I'm uncertain if I'll stick with it. Perhaps I could spray the first coat and paint over it for a better finish? I'll try that next

• Like 1