Thunderbolt over the jungle

@canberra kid I know Undercliffe pretty well, a late family friend used to run a children's home at the top of Killinghall Road. I grew up in Buttershaw and Wibsey on the other side of town though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

My old boss was ground crew on Canberras. He was in Chile during the Falklands conflict. He told me that they weren't supposed to be there of course! Also that they came up with their own chaff dispensing solution for their Canberras. Tape bundles of chaff using gaffer tape in the airbrakes. When the air brakes were very briefly deployed the chaff fell off and separated. He said 2 a/c were saved using this over Port Stanley Airfield.. Have you heard of this before?

Regards, Andy

Sorry for the late reply, I got sidetracked! He must be miss remembering it, you can't store anything in a Canberra airbrake they are flush finger that extend from the wing skin, they could have put them in the flair bay, which would have been much more practical. There was a trial installation around that time or perhaps a wee bit later to fit the same type of chaff and flair despisers as used on the RAF Phantom pylons, these were installed on the PR.9's wing tip but they coursed all sorts of aerodynamic problems so it was abandoned. Then came the fitting of Boz pods for use over Bosnia, these were hung from pylons mounted on the hard points that were part of the PR.9's B.(I)8 DNA, these too were short lived as they were eating up huge amounts of the wings Fatigue life. The last and most successful was introduced as part of a suite of updates to the PR.9 in 2005

SEN/CAN/232 introduces a Vicon 78 series 445 countermeasures dispensing system. The system provides a passive countermeasures capability against a variety of infrared and radar seeking air or ground launched missiles and anti-aircraft artillery systems. Manual control of the system allows the aircrew to launch decoy chaff and flares when a threat is detected visually or electronically. This was mounted in cell's behind the main wheel well's.

SEN/CAN/235 introduces a modified wingtip mounted Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) under ARI 18228/18 The RWR is an Electronic Support Measure (ESM) system, which provides visual and audible warning of the presence of illuminating radar emitters in the frequency range of 2.5 to 18 GHz through 360 of azimuth.

I'll put my anorak away now.

John 

Thanks for the information. Perhaps I misremembered where they located them. I'll have to ask Chris next time I see him m.. its a fair few years ago that he related this story to me so I could be mistaken.. 😂

Cheers!

kind Regards, Andy