1/72 Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat VF-12

This model was begun as part of the 2021 F6F Hellcat STGB.  Finally, it is finished.  Another abandoned project done.  Construction details in the link below.

I hope that you enjoy these images of the completed model.

Don

72-Eduard-right-side.jpg

72-Eduard-Nose-close.jpg

72-Eduard-left-side.jpg

72-Eduard-Bottom.jpg

• Like 55

Lovely build and I'm deeply envious as I've been working on the Eduard F6F-3 on and off for almost 6 months!

Did you suffer the same fit issues I came across with the lower fuselage joint and the cowling ring? Maybe mine was a Friday afternoon job as it wasn't great and somewhat disappointing given that I'm more than capable of making my own errors as well. In the end I had to buy another kit to replace the dog's breakfast I made of the starboard wing and I'm still at the 'snagging' and retouching stage so suspect it will a few weeks more before it sees light of day, but I doubt it will compare with your superb rendition.

Thank you for sharing and showing me how it should be done.

Kind Regards

Colin.

Ps. on a positive note as mine is the Profi edition the pe for the cockpit and engine is quite superb if you can summon up the patience and have the requisite eyesight to use all the parts.

Sorry, just to add that one of my biggest snagging issues is removing errant dust and small hair particles which seem to be attracted after each spraying session so do you have any tips on how to avoid this please as your finish is quite superb and completely bug free. Or like me do you spend considerable time removing such things afterwards with very fine sanding sheets as has been my only option and which has added to my multiple delays so far?

Kind Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, François Escudé said:

Hi Don , very nice done !! You even did cowl correction ! beyond my skills !, 

great job ! 

congrats !!

Hi Francois,

Thank you for the compliment. Part of the delay in finishing this project was the removal of the modified cowling.  I did not like the look of the modified cowling because it offered no significant improvement over the stock kit part. So, I cut off the modified part and replaced it with the stock part so I could finish this project.  Soon as figure out what needs to be done to the nose cowling, I'll make the changes and use it for my next Hellcat, an F6F-3N.

Don

6 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Sorry, just to add that one of my biggest snagging issues is removing errant dust and small hair particles which seem to be attracted after each spraying session so do you have any tips on how to avoid this please as your finish is quite superb and completely bug free. Or like me do you spend considerable time removing such things afterwards with very fine sanding sheets as has been my only option and which has added to my multiple delays so far?

Kind Regards

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the kind words.  I did not have a problem with the fit of the cowling and lower fuselage.  If you use the kit engine, the alignment of the engine in reference to the interior slots in the engine cowling can cause a poor fit if you are not careful.  The fit of the nose cowl to the engine cowling was very good.  Overall, the fit of kit parts was excellent.

About painting,  I paint in the garage to keep paint fumes out the house.  It is a dusty environment.  I no longer have a paint booth set up in the house.  For me, the main contributors to particles in the paint finish are electrostatic attraction and stray fibers from the immediate work space.  I use a damp cloth to wipe down the table top and surrounding areas prior to painting.  I do not use facial tissues, or similar paper products, to clean paint sticks, brushes, airbrush parts, etc. above the work surface that I rest the model on.  The fibers from these paper products seem to magically find their way onto the wet paint.  Even with my best efforts to avoid embedded particles, these do find their way into the paint finish.   Like you, I do spend time using a scalpel to pick or scrap the unwanted off the surface and various fine sandpapers to restore the surface.  I accept this rework as part of the experience.  And the Hellcat model photographs do not show all the warts.  I had the luxury of showing the good sides.  The model is no contest winner.

Don

• Thanks 1

Don,

Lovely build and finish - I had to check the thread title as I assumed it was 1:48. Great work,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2022 at 22:22, don f said:

This model was begun as part of the 2021 F6F Hellcat STGB.  Finally, it is finished.  Another abandoned project done.  Construction details in the link below.

I hope that you enjoy these images of the completed model.

Don

72-Eduard-right-side.jpg

72-Eduard-Nose-close.jpg

72-Eduard-left-side.jpg

72-Eduard-Bottom.jpg

Nice one, well done

Alain

• Thanks 1

Oh wow, what a beautifully built Hellcat. It really suits that overall dark blue, it somehow makes it look more menacing.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2022 at 03:38, don f said:

Hi Francois,

Thank you for the compliment. Part of the delay in finishing this project was the removal of the modified cowling.  I did not like the look of the modified cowling because it offered no significant improvement over the stock kit part. So, I cut off the modified part and replaced it with the stock part so I could finish this project.  Soon as figure out what needs to be done to the nose cowling, I'll make the changes and use it for my next Hellcat, an F6F-3N.

Don

Hi Don, tanks for your answer, haha !! sometimes we do things ? that takes time and time, to change just because we are not that happy with them !! remember so many things like that on my side !😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Looks really good, Don.  It appears you've replaced the prop with a better unit, from a Tamiya Corsair perhaps?  The wonky prop hub is my biggest disappointment with the Eduard F6F kits.

Thank you for the praise. I did replace the prop from a spare from a 1/72 Tamiya F4U-1A kit.  The replacement prop does make an visible improvement in the appearance of the finished model.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 7:04 PM, don f said:

Thank you for the praise. I did replace the prop from a spare from a 1/72 Tamiya F4U-1A kit.  The replacement prop does make an visible improvement in the appearance of the finished model.

Don

Good on ye for fixing that blasted propeller, Don! I tell everybody about that glitch on the Eduard kit but it seems like a lot of people ignore me.

david