Monogram '30 Ford Touring

I had it in mind to build one of these Early Iron kits for this GB.  I've settled on the '30 Ford Touring, because I remember my dad building it in the '70s.  Mine is the 1994 reissue, but the box art and contents are the same as the '70s one.  In the interest of getting a GB subject finished, I'm doing this one OOB as a late '60s/early '70s street rod, so no cans of worms will be opened, no mods or re-engineering to sap my enthusiasm.  That said, I really hate these wheels and tyres, so I'll be leaving those loose until something better turns up.

earlyiron-vi.jpg

Unstarted, patrs still bagged.

30Touring01-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 13

Great to see Cars  joining the GB S, one of the reasons I was keen for this GB it bring's in ship,vehicle and space modeller's who sadly don't seem to get their subjects

in our GB's.This one look's a winner!

• Like 3

Three of Monograms finest there.

I've never built the Touring, so I'll be following along with much interest. I'm a bit biased, but I like slot mags and seventies tires a lot, they really plant a build at a certain time. Mind you, later wheels and very low profile tires leave me stone cold. Viva la Difference.

Have you got a plan for rolling stock? If I can help out I will.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Three of Monograms finest there.

I've never built the Touring, so I'll be following along with much interest. I'm a bit biased, but I like slot mags and seventies tires a lot, they really plant a build at a certain time. Mind you, later wheels and very low profile tires leave me stone cold. Viva la Difference.

Have you got a plan for rolling stock? If I can help out I will.

I'm not completely averse to slot mags, but I'm more into the '60s look - either chrome reverse wheels with skinnier tyres (tires) or five spoke Americans with Indy tyres.  I think I have some chrome reverse wheels in one of those Revell '49 Mercs that might work.

Made a start this morning, most of the major sub assemblies are done.

The underside of the running board bears a huge Monogram logo, I think from the original 1964 1961 - it's older than I thought - 4-in-1 issue.  For an OOB build, I almost felt bad filing it off.

30Touring07-vi.jpg

Chassis done.  The front axle is only there to locate the drag link.

30Touring09-vi.jpg

Simple engine, only 9 parts here.  I stripped the chrome from the intake manifold and valve covers.

30Touring10-vi.jpg

Top and front seat.

30Touring11-vi.jpg

Quick mock up.  I filled the cowl light holes with plastic rod.  Still not liking those wheels & tyres...

30Touring12-vi.jpg

Managed to get a light primer coat on before lunch, which has highlighted some more flash that I need to deal with.

30Touring13-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 9

17 hours ago, Six97s said:

Still not liking those wheels & tyres...

There's room for improvement on the rolling stock I'll agree. How about flatting off the sidewall lettering and sinking the rim into the tire a bit more? That would lose the almost off road look of the kit sidewalls.

These two covers, ten years apart, show the change in fashions over the years. Both Model T rather than A, but they serve for illustration purposes. The main change seems to be the width of the wheels and the profile of the tires. The steels you mention certainly date the '62 picture, along with those tall tires. I don't think you can go wrong with either look, they both push all the right buttons for me.

IMG-3826.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the input.   These tyres wouldn't be so bad if the tread were flat... they're taller in the centre and taper off to the edges, making the sidewalls look too short.  Those gold stripe Firestone Indy tires would be ideal.  I guess I'll see what I can find in the loft.  🤔 

Had a play with some different wheels and tyres.

1. Kit wheels, with rear tyres from a Fujimi GT40.  Better profile, but I'm still not sold on the wheels.

30Touring14-vi.jpg

2.  Five spoke mags from a Revell '32 Ford, again with the GT40 rear tyres.   These might work if they're stripped and painted.

30Touring15-vi.jpg

3.  Wheels from a Revell '49 Merc, front tyres are old Revell ones, rears are Herb Deeks 1/32 truck tyres.

30Touring16-vi.jpg

4. Wheels from the latest issue AMT '36 Ford, front tyres are Revell, rears are resin copies I cast from an old AMT kit.

30Touring17-vi.jpg

5.  Lil' Coffin wheels & tyres.  Don't know if it's the bare plastic, but they look weird here... might try them on the '32 roadster instead.

30Touring18-vi.jpg

I'm leaning towards 2 or 3.

• Like 4

I am never this lucky!   I thought I has going to have to scrounge around to find some wheel backs and/or brake drums, but the kit parts fit these tyres perfectly.   I chopped off the mounting stubs from the kit wheels and dropped those into the centres, to locate on the axles.   Some detail painting, then I can fit the wheels permanently (they're loose here, hence a bit drunk).

30Touring19-vi.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Don't know why but Im seeing Surfboards in my mind's eye next to this thing in the final photos ? 

No, I did have a '30 Woody kit, but I sold that one.  🙃

• Like 1