Cracked decals

danbuoy

I've got a Monogram 1/72 Grumman HU-16 Albatross, and the decals are badly cracked;

52161136672_83c43161a5_z.jpg20220620_203423 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

52162647615_446827345b_z.jpg20220620_203451 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Are these beyond saving, or is there something that can be done? I have read about Microscale liquid decal film being an option. Has anyone tried this?

TIA

You can use Microscale Decal Film, but the problem you have is that if you coat the decal it will stop it falling apart but the cracks will still be visible.

If each decal element has only 1 or 2 cracks you might be able to slide them off the backing sheet and rejoin them on the kit like a jigsaw puzzle, but that could be a nightmare and there is a risk that they'll just disintegrate as soon as they hit the water anyway, personally I'd be tempted to look at aftermarket decals.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I was wondering about that, as the cracks are quite obvious. Doesn't seem to be much aftermarket about so I may put up a post in the wanted section. 

There are 2 sets of aftermarket decals that I know about:

Superscale 72-184, it's long out of production (but it's the sort of decal that you might only use 1 scheme from it so you might find a part used set) it included markings for 3 x USAF and 1 x USN a/c (reviewed here: https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/super/ss72184.htm)

PrintScale 72-136, AFAIK it's still available, includes markings for 2 x USAF, 1 USN and 1 x USCG (Printscale website link: https://www.printscale.org/product_385.html)

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

A lot of those decals seem either shapes you can mask and spray or get third party decals and masks for. I would try going creative there. Do you have some form of mask cutter device?

• Like 1

Print Scale decals can be challenging to use. Very thin and prone to curl up. Handle with extreme care.

Old Monogram decals are well known for cracking up. Microscale Decal Film will help, but you will have the problems stated above. I would use generic decals and save what I can of the originals. Failing that, scan the originals and use Photoshop to repair the damage, then print your own onto decal paper. Don't forget to seal the new decals with the Decal Film before using.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

scan the originals and use Photoshop to repair the damage, then print your own onto decal paper. Don't forget to seal the new decals with the Decal Film before using.

Of course remember to do that before cutting the original decals and fiddling with them in any other way :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice. The only aftermarket set I've been able to find is the Printscale one, but to be honest, none of the schemes grab me. I really like the scheme from the kit. I had thought about possibly masking the yellow/black stripe on the rear fuselage, and possibly the "Y" shaped decal that goes on the top, though I don't have a cutter. Obviously, the USAF insignia I can get replacements for, and I may be able to salvage some off the sheet, though I think it would be prudent to coat it in decal film first. I am tempted to try the scan and print option, as making my own decals is something I want to try for another project.