1/32 Sunbeam Alpine Series III. +++ Finished +++

Hi all.

I'll be bringing another car to the Group Build, in the form of this 1963 Sunbeam Alpine.

P1130192.JPG

The paperwork and plastic proclaims that the kit is a copyrighted product of Revell (GB) Ltd.  To be honest, I don't know what the relationship was between Revell (GB) and the parent company, but it does look as though this kit was UK designed and made.  I'd love know more, if anyone can oblige please?

P1130195.JPG

The kit was first produced in 1963 and is streets ahead of what its US competitors, such as Aurora and Lindberg, were producing in 1/32 at that time.  For starters, it has a one-piece body, an engine and fully enclosed wheel arches (all of which were often lacking in its rivals).  More importantly, it's RHD :winkgrin:!

It represents a Series III Alpine, which had a 1.6 litre engine producing just under 90 BHP.  Top speed was within a gnat's off 100 mph and the 0-60 time was around 13 seconds.  The Series III was visually identifiable by its full size tail fins.  In addition to being dead sexy, the fins also housed the car's twin fuel tanks (thereby freeing up luggage space, relative to the earlier Series).

P1130194.JPG

The box lid shows that in addition to this Alpine, Revell (GB) were also producing a TR4, an MGB and a Healey 3000.  Interestingly, the MGB is described as being a "Superlative MGB". 

P1130193.JPG

A quick Google, confirms that the 'B' is indeed widely called the "Superlative MG".  I don't know why this (maybe an original advertising slogan?), but again would really like to know more if anyone can help please?

Cheers

• Like 13

Oh yeah! I've got the full set, and have built the Healey. Yes the four British Sports cars were tooled in the UK and probably designed here too. They are also a lot more detail than Revell (US) American 1/32 cars of the time.

Revell UK was set up so Revell could trade from within the UK and avoid import taxes, similarly with Revell (West) Germany gave them access to the Common Market at the time. The kits later appeared the Advent brand that was sold in department stores I believe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a 1960?  Revell GB catalogue (I’ll post some pages at some point) and it states all kits made in the UK - although 99% seem to be US prototype.  I assume local manufacture was an essential in those days of exchange control, then dollars would only be paid for hire of the mould - costing for injection, printing and packaging etc would all be sterling.

• Thanks 1

According to Thomas Graham's book on Revell, the British and West German subsidiaries were set up in 1958 to avoid import taxes and other trade restrictions. The British branch was used to supply the EFTA countries and West Germany to supply the EEC. Initially the kits were the same as the American ones, though the tooling was shipped across the Atlantic as that was much cheaper than shipping the number of kits that would be moulded.

Revell GB did start producing kits that were different from the American boxings in 1959, when they issued the Mitchell and Liberator kits in RAF markings (and they would continue to produce kits with different decals to the American ones, for instance issuing the Sikorsky S-55 as a Westland Whirlwind in 1962).

Their first own tool kit were cars, with four kits in around 1/43 scale being tooled up in 1959 and another four in 1961, then four 1/32 scale cars in 1963. They also produced a lot of the 1960s 1/72 scale aircraft kits, and some of the early 1/32 scale ones, before pretty much becoming a production plant only in 1973 or so, then just a warehouse for Greman production in 1981. 

According to Graham, it was cheaper to make the tooling in the UK than in California, though as FROG started getting their tooling made in Hong Kong for cost reasons around 1969, it might not have been that cheap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Always thought the Alpine was a nice looking car - had a Dinky Toy one when I was a nipper. Later, After returning from University in the early 1970's, I remember that one of my school friends had picked one up in poor condition and was attempting to restore it, though I never saw it running as I moved away to live and work in Wales. Actually, I have a recollection that Pete's Sunbeam may just have been the Tiger version which was the based on a makeover by Caroll Shelby with a big Ford V8 engine literally "shoehorned" in. Must have been an "interesting" drive with all that power coupled with what by modern standards were feeble brakes (discs on the front and drum brakes at the back which were said to be nearly useless) and "bicycle wheel" tyres!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Thank you @JamesP @malpaso and @Richard Humm for your insights into Revell (GB).  That all makes sense :thumbsup2:.

I've got the Healey 3000 too, but haven't sought out the the Triumph and MG (relying instead on Airfix).

Thanks too  @JeroenS @Six97s @stevej60 and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for your support.  I've been looking for a preserved example to copy and have pretty much settled on this red/black one.

That's interesting stuff about your mate's Alpine/Tiger @PeterB.   I must take issue with you though about the poor efficacy of the brakes.  According to the kit instructions "Front disc and rear drum brakes are fitted and these are vacuum servo-assisted to give easy, smooth and fade-free braking under all conditions". :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

That's interesting stuff about your mate's Alpine/Tiger @PeterB.   I must take issue with you though about the poor efficacy of the brakes.  According to the kit instructions "Front disc and rear drum brakes are fitted and these are vacuum servo-assisted to give easy, smooth and fade-free braking under all conditions". :winkgrin:

Cheers

Hi Cliff,

I was going on a quote from Jay Leno's clip on You Tube where the Tiger owner said "rear brake shoes last forever as they don't do any work" or words to that effect!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

It was club night yesterday, so I took along the Alpine with the intention of doing a little trimming and sanding.  Of course, I got carried away and started to stick stuff together (mainly the suspension).  So I thought I'd better do the mandatory sprue shot before it's too late.

P1130225.JPG

My impressions so far are pretty good and I've just noticed that you get optional RHD and LHD dashboards.  A nice touch:coolio:

Cheers

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

Hi all.  I'm pleased to say that this one has finally reached the top of my pile and so I've decided to start by prepping the body.

The kit includes a nicely done, forward opening bonnet (complete with hinges), but as with all my builds, I'll be fixing it closed. 

I added some plastic card to support the edges of the bonnet.

P1130322.JPG

The card also allowed me to fill the gap around the bonnet (using Perfect Plastic Putty).  There were also a good selection of shrinkage marks that required filling, along with some unwanted locating slots for the windscreen.

P1130323.JPG

The kit provides separate headlight lens, but these are moulded in solid brown plastic (originally on the 'plated' sprue).  I found some suitably sized clear lenses in my spares box, although these have slightly odd 'googly eye' light bulbs moulded in their middles.  I'm not sure which I prefer, so I'll reserve judgement until they're painted up!

P1130321.JPG

Cheers

• Like 8

This looks exciting. A wave of nostalgia comes over me when I see this sort of vintage kit. I recall having a Morris Minor Traveller by Revell but a number of essential parts were missing. It must have got binned at some point. I think there might have been a couple others in the range but not sports cars. The boxes were rather stout too I remember.

I also once had an Aurora kit  I built of a Sunbeam Tiger. It was early 1970' s and I, r!ather crazily, finished it in Tiger stripes a bit like those special Tiger meet aircraft! The other Aurora 1/32 car kit I still have is the hard top  E type Jag.

Edited by Paul J
Typo.
  • Like 2

Thanks @Paul J.  I guess nostalgia is what these 'classic kit' GBs are all about!

This Alpine provoked similar reactions at my model club and funnily enough, a couple members also mentioned the Minor Traveller.  It's not a kit I remember, but it obviously made a big impact on all who had one.  1/39 scale, according to Scalemates.

I personally have a love/hate relationship with Aurora.  I built their 1/32 Mustang Convertible last year and really enjoyed it.  I followed it though with their Triumph Spitfire, only to discover that the front end was no more than a caricature - it was so bad, I had to bin it.   Hopefully your E Type is one of the better ones :winkgrin:.

It's the same with Lindberg, mostly they're pretty poor but I have kept their MGA as it's not too bad (IMHO).

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeepboy said:

For such an old kit (oh hang on, I was born in 1963!)   For such a young kit, the detail and moulding is really good.  

Yes, everything is pretty sharp.  In its favour, the moulds would have been almost new when this particularly kit was made :winkgrin:

• Like 1

There was a Revell Morris Traveller and a Vauxhall Cresta on the bay the other day.

Salvage Hunters did a very nice restoration of an Alpine on the TV last year. Probably on You Tube now. I think they updated the brakes?

Back then, I always thought of the Alpine as more of a tourer than a sports car. Though that didn't stop Michael Caine driving one in Get Carter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks @Paul J.    Hopefully your E Type is one of the better ones :winkgrin:.

It's the same with Lindberg, mostly they're pretty poor but I have kept their MGA as it's not too bad (IMHO).

Cheers

The E type I built years ago and still have it. I think pics are on the forum somewhere . 

Oddly enough I just watched the original “Get Carter” with Michael Caine. At one point he's driving an white one of these. It took me a minute to remember that Sunbeam made cars at one point. Here in the States they've always been associated with household appliance’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thank you @Pete in Lincs @Paul J and @Corsairfoxfouruncle. for your references - I'll try to track them all down.

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oddly enough I just watched the original “Get Carter” with Michael Caine. At one point he's driving a white one of these.

It took me a minute to remember that Sunbeam made cars at one point. Here in the States they've always been associated with household appliances. 

Dennis, I've just been to look at the 'Get Carter' scene.  Great to watch, but I should maybe point out that it wasn't Michael Caine who was driving, it was the lady sitting next to him. Probably something to do with the steering wheel being on the wrong side :winkgrin: :coat:

I'm not sure about the domestic appliances, but the British Sunbeam car company was a spin-off from Sunbeam bicycles (established 1888) and produced its first vehicle in 1901.  Over the years, the brand had several subsequent owners and finally disappeared from the market in the 1970s, whilst part of Chrysler Europe.

Since yesterday, I've been tidying up the parts which will need to be re-chromed (I'd stripped off the original plating using oven cleaner).

These include the windscreen surround and the bumpers.

P1130324.JPG

The instructions include a template to allow you to cut the windscreen from clear acetate sheet.  I haven't done this yet, but I did try a paper copy of the template and that fits the frame perfectly.  Notice too, the embossed number plates.  I'll be replacing these with the home-made decals that you can see.

Cheers

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

but I should maybe point out that it wasn't Michael Caine who was driving, it was the lady sitting next to him. Probably something to do with the steering wheel being on the wrong side :winkgrin: :coat:

I think later in the movie he stuffs her in the boot and drives to a wharf. Sadly some mob crew decides to push the car into the water so Carter cant follow them. She was still in the trunk. I had seen the so-so remake with Sylvester Stallone from 20+ years ago. Never had seen the original until the other day. In fact I had never known about the “original”, as I thought the Stallone version was original. Sad as Im a huge movie buff and a Michael Caine fan, should have known. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think later in the movie he stuffs her in the boot and drives to a wharf.

My apologies Dennis, I really should have watched the whole film rather than just selected YouTube highlights 😳.

I see from Wikipedia, that Michael Caine also drove an Alpine in Gambit.  That's another film that I haven't seen!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 19:58, Pete in Lincs said:

There was a Revell Morris Traveller and a Vauxhall Cresta on the bay the other day.

Salvage Hunters did a very nice restoration of an Alpine on the TV last year. Probably on You Tube now. I think they updated the brakes?

Back then, I always thought of the Alpine as more of a tourer than a sports car. Though that didn't stop Michael Caine driving one in Get Carter.

I saw them Pete didn't notice what they went for.

• Like 2