Johnson's Klear Substitutes. Let's Do A List

Noel Smith

Well, we all have heard about the demise of Johnson's Klear by now, so let's look forward instead of back!

How about those who have discovered current products almost identical just listing them on this thread.

Don't want to hear about the EBay Klear racketeers, just what is new and available and from where please.

some UK suggestions: 
-pledge multisurface polish

-Astonish... they've shuffled their brands recently, and I've not tried the recent bottling of wood floor polish.

-Halloway house quick shine multi purpose floor finish. Lakeland sell it, somewhat expensive.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Ngantek said:

-Halloway house quick shine multi purpose floor finish. Lakeland sell it, somewhat expensive.

Bottles also available on Amazon.

To add to the list

Alclad Aqua Gloss 

I know it's actually sold as a paint so for the purists is not a true alternative.... but it works the same as Klear etc. comes in a decent size and gives a better result in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2022 at 17:50, stevehnz said:

Aussies & Kiwis can use Pascoes Long Life Self Shining Floor polish available at Bunnings & a host of other places in Aus if google is to be believed.

Steve.

Never tried it yourself going by what you said?

I may tried it just for giggles, however I have never used Future/Klear so I wouldn't be able to compare really

1 hour ago, Darknark said:

Never tried it yourself going by what you said?

Yes have, as referred to here. Just not incorporated into the original thread, need to do so, totally happy with how it went, as is @Marcello Rosa above.

It is quite instructive to read the rest 0f @CamberrySauce's thread for more info on the Pascoes SSFP.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Yes have, as referred to here. Just not incorporated into the original thread, need to do so, totally happy with how it went, as is @Marcello Rosa above.

It is quite instructive to read the rest 0f @CamberrySauce's thread for more info on the Pascoes SSFP.

Steve.

Looking at the questions in the threads, one of the most common is whether you can use it to dip canopies. The answer, for me, is an unequivocal “yes”. I have used Pascoe in my latest builds. If you check in my web site (address in the signature panel) the images of the 1/48 Tomcat, Skyhawk and Tornado, these are examples. Compare with earlier builds (e.g Super Etendard and Panther) to see the improvement.

also: Pascoe mixes well with Tamiya clear acrylics to create canopy “shades”. I have used this in the Tomcat and 1/72 Neptune (green and blue respectively).

• Thanks 3

Can any Canuk members tell us what is available above the 49th parallel ?

I use Astonish as a dye sealant in leatherwork, and so do a few other leather workers on my Leather crafting forum

The Aussies have their version but we cannot seem to find a similar product in Canada

49 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Can any Canuk members tell us what is available above the 49th parallel ?

I use Astonish as a dye sealant in leatherwork, and so do a few other leather workers on my Leather crafting forum

The Aussies have their version but we cannot seem to find a similar product in Canada

I don't have an answer for that, but let me say that I discovered Pascoe just on the dumb assumption that any floor polish liquid would do the same. Just went to our local hardware (Bunnings) and got what they had. I tested it on spare sprue, and it worked. This being the case, it may be just a matter of trying what you can buy in your local hardware chain, and testing it.

something like this?: https://www.lowes.ca/product/floor-polish/rejuvenate-all-floors-restorer-727779

If it does not work, it is not a big expense, and you can always use it at home...

• Like 1

Looked up Astonish as recommended, but was confused as so many of their products were shown

What precise Astonish product is the equivalent of Klear?

Just an overall brand name whoever's it is throws up multiple product lists, so please guys name the exact product that you are recommending. Thanks.

Astonish can be found in two different bottles

Its name is 'Astonish Wood Floor Polish'

Early bottle, which can still be found on shop shelves

Astonish%20old,%2001-M.jpg

Newer bottle, usually found now

Astonish,%20new,%2001-L.jpg

I read a rumour a few years ago that Humbrol Clear is just Johnson's Klear that's effectively been "backwards-engineered" by the good fellows at Humbrol. True...or not? No blooming idea!

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

Chris.  Pure speculation probably.   Backwards engineering someone else's product and marketing it as your own would be very risky.

Think of the legal consequences of someone taking on a big multinational in court over patent infringements.

I have some Humbrol Clear and it smells enamel based. Klear is acrylic.

43 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

I have some Humbrol Clear and it smells enamel based.

To quote the vendor: "WARNING | EN | Humbrol Clearcote | Contains LOW BOILING POINT HYDROGEN TREATED NAPHTHA - NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), HYDRODESULPHURIZED HEAVY,Cobalt 6, zirconium drier 18%, methyl ethyl ketoxime"

• 7 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, Black Knight said:

1. 'Astonish'

Have been using Astonish Floor Polish over brush painted Vallejo Aluminium on my Airfix F-86.  Have let it dry for a few days, started to put the stickers on and the Microsol is stripping the Vallejo off, so just beware.  However, the Mircrosol has not had any effect on the Humbrol where the Astonish is covering. 

Used to be able to get this from Amazon in the UK. About £14 for the bottle. Which is expensive for floor wax, but cheap compared to various modelling glosses per ml!

But I just checked and it is no longer available. Fortunately I bought 2 bottles last time it was available. In the last 3 years I've used about 1/3rd of a bottle. Used for canopy dipping, pre-decal glossing (if not using gloss paint) and final non-matt finishes.

For matt I now prefer Galleria, but for everything else I use the Pledge mixed with Tamiya matt base to achieve the desired finish - even when a gloss finish is required, as pure Pledge I find unrealistically shiny and needs toning down a bit (I use a 10:1 Pledge:flatbase mix for 'gloss' finishes).

Cheers

Colin

• 1 month later...

A quick update here. I have recently purchased a bottle of Alclad aquagloss, which is mentioned in some places as superior to Pledge/ Future for modelling. I have not used Pledge/ Future, only the Australian substitute (Pascoe), so take this into consideration.

I am underwhelmed. Aquagloss Looks like Pascoe, but shows no superior qualities that I could notice.

• Like 1

Gloss isn't required before decals. A mechanically flat surface is, as opposed to a rough surface. That's how you avoid trapping micro bubbles of air under decals which causes silvering.

All gloss coats, including floor polishes, do is act as a self levelling compound to fill in the worst of your paint texture. You can achieve a good finish ready to receive decals without the additional coat using a 2500 grit polishing pad.

Try it on your paint mule with spare decals. It works, at least on paints which adhere properly and dry hard enough to sand without peeling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1