AZ Bf109 F4 Trop in 1/72

Evening All, 

Here is my second build of the year (this is breakneck speed for me)  the AZ Bf109 F4 Trop in 1/72.  The kit went together pretty well with only a little filling at the wing roots and around the oil cooler fairing.  It was brush painted using a mixture of Hataka and AK Air acrylics (the AK paints are now a firm favourite).

AZ BF109F4 Tropical 1/72

AZ BF109F4 Tropical 1/72

AZ Bf109F4 Tropical 1/72

AZ Bf109F4 Tropical 1/72

My one major complaint would be with the gloss pre-decals/weathering coat.  I used Revell acrylic in a rattle can and it was awful.  Although I'd left it for a couple of days before I applied the decals, it got very sticky with handling ("wear latex gloves" I hear you shout) and I had to buff out some fingerprints.  When I applied the chalk wash, it seemed to get embedded in the clear coat (rather than just wiping off) requiring more buffing out.  The can's now in the bin!

This completes my self-inflicted "North Africa 1942" themed build, the results of which are shown below. 

AZ Bf109F4 Tropical 1/72

Thanks for taking the time to look.

All the best

Peter

• Like 26

I'm very tempted (particularly as I already have all the paints)! Or a US Spitfire, or a Stuka (not a fighter, I know, but I'm willing to make exceptions)!

Thanks to all who've "liked". You're very kind. 

Kind regards 

Peter 

On 21/06/2022 at 00:56, Hairy Stickler said:

Evening All, 

Here is my second build of the year (this is breakneck speed for me)  the AZ Bf109 F4 Trop in 1/72.  The kit went together pretty well with only a little filling at the wing roots and around the oil cooler fairing.  It was brush painted using a mixture of Hataka and AK Air acrylics (the AK paints are now a firm favourite).

AZ BF109F4 Tropical 1/72

AZ BF109F4 Tropical 1/72

AZ Bf109F4 Tropical 1/72

AZ Bf109F4 Tropical 1/72

My one major complaint would be with the gloss pre-decals/weathering coat.  I used Revell acrylic in a rattle can and it was awful.  Although I'd left it for a couple of days before I applied the decals, it got very sticky with handling ("wear latex gloves" I hear you shout) and I had to buff out some fingerprints.  When I applied the chalk wash, it seemed to get embedded in the clear coat (rather than just wiping off) requiring more buffing out.  The can's now in the bin!

This completes my self-inflicted "North Africa 1942" themed build, the results of which are shown below. 

AZ Bf109F4 Tropical 1/72

Thanks for taking the time to look.

All the best

Peter

Nice, well done

• Thanks 1