Hasegawa 1/72nd F-4B VF-151

Having finished a Revell FAA F4U (bloody over-complicated thing!) and my Sword Gannet, I took a few weeks off to contemplate what was next.  Thought I'd take longer to think about it, but I went up to have a tidy of the 'bench' and whilst I was there had a look at the stash.  Narrowed down to the following candidates..

20220617_204938

I was very close to doing the lifeboat but the recent Top Gun hype has put me in a bit of a US Navy mood, so the Phantom won out in the end.  That poor Lightning, it keeps getting so close to the top of the pile, only to be cruelly denied.  Maybe next time..

Rather than the Sundowners on the front, I'm doing this as one of the alternative schemes, inspired by the lovely, well thumbed, volume

20220618_103328

Such a good book!  Obligatory sprue shot (although I've hidden most of it!).

IMG_20220619_211849752

I'd shied away from this for a while because I really didn't fancy painting the gloss white undersides.  Now I have an airbrush I don't have that excuse.  This will be a test, though, as I've so far struggled to get decent gloss finishes with the airbrush.  Have tried pledge and Mr Color GX112 but I never get the high gloss (and smooth) finish that I really want.  Always ends up closer to Satin and a little rough feeling.  Any tips most welcome!

Not much achieved so far, just a few bits painted.  Since the white and grey is hard to brush I'm going to break with tradition and spray the cockpit, wheel wells, intakes, drop tanks etc.  I don't normally get the airbrush out for small things as I spend more time cleaning it that actually painting, but I think its necessary this time..

Wish me luck!

Al.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, billn53 said:

Excellent choice! I'm still miffed that Fine Molds didn't release a "B" version Phantom 😠

Didn't know that - they seem to have released every other possible version!

Al

Well, safe to say I've never seen so many bits go towards assembling a pylon! 😲  Happy to say, though, that all those teensy bits fitted together pretty well, which bodes well for the rest...

IMG_20220621_222845907

That's it as far as updates go, I'm afraid... 🙂

Al.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress of late. Been painting and assembling the cockpit, not my favourite task. However, I am about to start assembly of the fuselage. Before that, though, it seems I need to brush up on my 3D chess skills..

IMG_20220702_121444344_HDR

Between the two halves of the forward fuselage, the two intakes, the rear fuselage and the nosewheel section, there's an awful lot of scooe for gaps and general mis-alignment. I think it's a certainty that there are going to be gaps, I just need to try and work it so that they're more manageable. With that in mind, I'm going to try and get the joint around the shoulders and the fuselage sides as good as I can as I figure gaps there would be harder to fix and more obvious.

IMG_20220703_221316160_HDR

I've already attached the nosewheel bay to one side of the fuselage as the instructions would have you do. I think that may have been hasty, but we'll see.

I'm going to attach the forward fuselage sides individually in order to try and preserve those side joins and then hope I can get them to meet in the middle.  Had to add some bits of sprue into the intakes to kick out the bottom edge slightly.  Got one side attached, there's a bit of a step on the shoulder there but hoping I can deal with that. The panel lines all line up which is a relief!

IMG_20220703_221912979_HDR

Time will tell how well this approach works. Going to leave that to dry and do the other side tomorrow.. 🤞

Al

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Having coaxed the various parts of the fuselage together with reasonable success, I was left with the following when I dry fitted the wings:

IMG_20220708_222849275_HDR

Yikes! I knew the fit of the fuselage wasn't perfect but that's quite a step around the wing roots 😡 out with the various sanding sticks and we now have:

IMG_20220708_225739638_HDR

Better. The alignment of panel lines underneath doesn't look great but on the whole I'm fairly happy with where we are.

On to the outer wings and tailplanes 👍

Al.

• Like 4

There’s always a problem with the intake fit on the Hasegawa rhinos but you seem to have fought it into submission and kept the panel lines aligned nicely through the joint. The FineMolds are better, but no B, yet.

Chris

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingTiger435 said:

I hope that lightning sees the workbench soon! :D

This should be a nice build in the meantime.

I hope the kit won't give you much trouble

I'm gonna have to do one of those lightning's very soon or they'll be leaving home 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

There’s always a problem with the intake fit on the Hasegawa rhinos but you seem to have fought it into submission and kept the panel lines aligned nicely through the joint. The FineMolds are better, but no B, yet.

Chris

Sometimes I wonder if the manufacturers ever try and build these things!  But yeah, it's looking in decent shape now. Do love a phantom..

Al

Right then, she's starting to look like a phantom 😁

IMG_20220714_203208896

And as soon as I took that picture I realised I forgot to put a nose weight in 😡 luckily I've not yet attached the coaming at the front of the cockpit so should be able to squeeze something in there.

Meanwhile, some bench tidying has been happening courtesy of my new trolley - truly exciting times!

IMG_20220714_184300752

Also need to get on and practise spraying. Last kit I did I really struggled with getting a nice smooth glossy finish. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, guess some combination of air pressure and paint thinning, as usual!

Al.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since my last update. Had COVID a couple of weeks back which meant I was confined to the spare room, where I do modelling. Unfortunately, I didn't get a massive amount done as I needed to be in the garage spraying.

Have since also been to Berlin for a fantastic weekend away so life well and truly getting in the way 🤣

I was dreading spraying the gloss white as I've struggled with airbrushing gloss. Have been practising on my hurricane mule, and decided to put on my big boy pants on Friday and went for it. Couple more coats today and pretty pleased. She looks white and glossy 👍 Mr Hobby really is rather nice to spray!

2022-07-31_09-25-03

There's probably a pint of sweat in there, very hot up in the roof of my garage with the mask on 😁  probably still a couple of coats of white needed before embarking on the grey.

Al.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Combination of holidays and it being too damn hot to be in the garage spraying means not much to report.  I did paint the metallic bits on the tailplanes, but noticed that the masking tape seemed to adhere too much to the gloos white.  I think it might be a little too "soft" as holding the drop tanks has caused fingerprints to appear in the paint - several days after painting it.  Before I mask up the fuselage for spraying the grey I decided I needed to put a coat of gloss on the white in the hope it'll help protect it.

So, found some spare time this evening, trooped off into the garage ready to go, and.... my airbrush has broken 😞  Air comes out, but no paint.  Before we went away I took advantage of the lull in activity to give it a good clean, I don't think the two are co-incidental.  Looking closely I think I've broken a little nozzle on the front of the airbrush:

IMG_20220818_203344170

That's a close up of the nozzle, the top bit that is supposed to screw into the body of the airbrush doesn't look too good.  I think the rest of that bit is in the body itself:

IMG_20220818_204202194

Its all really small and hard to tell, but I now can't get that nozzle back into the body.  I was considering an upgrade to an H&S, that might now be happening sooner rather than later 😞  Not going to be much progress until I can spray again..

EDIT - having looked online, that nozzle is def broken - should have the screw thread at the top.  If I could get the other bit out of the body I can get a spare nozzle.  Not sure how easy that's going to be, though..

Al.

• Sad 2

The tool you need is a screw removal set. They come in various sizes, but include a drill bit, with a reverse-threaded thingy on the other end. You drill the smallest hole that you can  in the stripped part, reverse the tool and use the reverse-threaded other end to back the stripped bit out.  Your big box store should have them, as well as automotive parts places, ect.

Ed

1 hour ago, TheRealMrEd said:

The tool you need is a screw removal set. They come in various sizes, but include a drill bit, with a reverse-threaded thingy on the other end. You drill the smallest hole that you can  in the stripped part, reverse the tool and use the reverse-threaded other end to back the stripped bit out.  Your big box store should have them, as well as automotive parts places, ect.

Ed

Happily it turned out to be much simpler - I jammed a cocktail stick into the body where the threaded bit was and brought it out that way 😁

Of course, prior to trying that I had already ordered an H&S Ultra that I'd been looking at for a while.  Still, I can get a new nozzle for the Fengda and then I'll have two airbrushes 🤣

Al

• Like 3

Been a busy week domestically what with a utility room needing gutting and GCSE results for the eldest, not to mention manic work - so not much progress here. 

I am now the proud owner of an H&S Ultra to replace the Fengda. I glossed the white on they phantom hoping that would reduce the chances of my tape leaving marks on it like it did on the tailplanes. Then masked it up ready for grey.

Today I sprayed a couple of coats of Mr Hobby grey. Have to say it looks a little 'warmer' than I was expecting. Might be the LED lighting in the garage, could look different in actual daylight 🤞

IMG_20220825_151143149

Looking the new airbrush, though, although the lack of a lid on the cup meant I ended up with most of the grey I'd thinned all over my hands 🙄

Al

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Managed a grand total of about 40 minutes on the Phantom over the bank holiday weekend, life getting in the way again!  It was, however, enough to get another couple of coats of grey on, meaning I've been able to remove the masking.  Just as well, as my jar of Mr Hobby H325 is now empty 😞 

IMG_20220830_080945255

Fairly happy with the outcome.  The nose is a lovely, glossy white.  I didn't do as good a job on the joins around the shoulders and intakes as I'd thought - bit disappointed with how some of that looks.  May or may not try to do something about that.  I also have a lot of hair/dust in the paint - occupational hazard of spraying in a garage full of dust and spider webs, I guess.  Need to get the hoover out and tidy up in there a bit.

The tape I used to mask the white has left some residue behind which is annoying.  This isn't actual Tamiya tape, but I've never had this problem with it before.  I have noticed, though, that the white and grey do seem susceptible to marking very easily.  I was holding it to try and gently polish out the residue and realised I was leaving a fingerprint on the newly sprayed grey.  Never had that problem before either.  Hopefully a gloss coat, which I need for the decals anyway, will make it more durable.

I was going to do the decals next, but actually I might finish as much of the construction as I can.  The less glue I work with when the decals are already on, the better!  

Al.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been really slow of late on this. Lots going on meaning I usually run out of time, plus I haven't been that focused on it.  With an extra public holiday here in the UK this weekend I decided to make a concerted effort (airtight a beer festival and associated recovery time didn't help my cause!).

The wheels are on, along with the doors so I decided it was a good time to start on the decals.

IMG_20220919_150359035

Going on well so far, although the black one round the canopy isn't quite even on both sides, will need some touching up on the other side. Probably would have been better off painting that one.

While the decals were soaking I took the masking off the canopy. One of my better attempts round the edges, however...

IMG_20220919_162815258

The eagle eyed among you will have spotted a teensy issue 😭 have tried a cocktail stick to no avail, have been advised isopropyl alcohol should do it so looks like I need to order another bottle to go on the bench!  Just when you think you've accumulated everything you might need.. 🙄

Al

• Sad 1

Really tired after a late night session last night, but got the bug at the moment so more decalling has happened. Including the big tail one which I was nervous about due to potential fit issues..

IMG_20220920_221155482

It's not too bad, lots of micro sol needed to get it to fold over the front and top of the fin - and more needed yet I think. Still - that's a top notch, classic USN fighter scheme! 😎

Al

• Like 6

On 9/20/2022 at 3:43 AM, alhenderson said:

While the decals were soaking I took the masking off the canopy. One of my better attempts round the edges, however...

IMG_20220919_162815258

The eagle eyed among you will have spotted a teensy issue 😭 have tried a cocktail stick to no avail, have been advised isopropyl alcohol should do it so looks like I need to order another bottle to go on the bench!  Just when you think you've accumulated everything you might need.. 🙄

Al

Ever tried scraping it off with left over sprue?

I usually use left over sprue, then shape the tip to form a chisel, then scrape the excess paint with it.

It's rigid, but soft enough so it won't scratch the clear parts.

Cheers,

Mario  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lifeline said:

Ever tried scraping it off with left over sprue?

I usually use left over sprue, then shape the tip to form a chisel, then scrape the excess paint with it.

It's rigid, but soft enough so it won't scratch the clear parts.

Cheers,

Mario  

Thanks for the hint, I'll give that a go!

Al

• Like 1

Decalling is complete, quite surprised by the lack of stencils, tbh. Is that a US Navy thing,I wonder or more a man of the kit's age? Not that I think it suffers for it..

IMG_20220927_223543000

Those tail decals were quite hard to lay down. Lots of micro sol needed to get them to curve round the front and top of the fin. Even then I've had to trim some bits off around the probes on the fin leading edge. Some colour touch ups have been needed, especially red on the to of the fin. Happily the decal red seems to be pretty close to humbrol 19 👍

Also needed to paint the inside of the canopy frames as the white primer was showing. I usually wouldn't mind, but since the canopy's going to be up it needed sorting.  Also got the overspray off the canopies with a little IPA and a cotton bud. Bit of polishing with toothpaste then followed, might yet be some more tidying up required there.

Very nearly time for satin varnish and some weathering. I've been playing with oils on an old hurricane which I think I'm going to use on this, although probably sparingly on this kit while I find my way.

Al

• Like 5