Atlantis ex-Monogram Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel - not sure about scale!

Atlantis_Snoopy.jpg

This one I have actually built before, in 1973. I don't remember it giving me any problems back then...

I'll get photos up of the parts, instructions and stickers, along with a couple of related things, once I've actually taken them.

• Like 14

Here are the parts for this kit:

Snoopy-yellow.jpg

Snoopy-other.jpg

For some reason there are two battery holders. I'll see which one an AA cell fits best. There's a fair bit of flash on the yellow sprue, but it should clean up pretty easily.

The stickers and motorisation parts:

Snoopy-stickers.jpg

And the instructions. I don't think these were drawn by Charles M Schulz, though the first page appears to have been swiped from his comics:

Snoopy-inst-1.jpg

Snoopy-inst-2.jpg

Snoopy-inst-3.jpg

Snoopy-inst-4.jpg

Snoopy-inst-5.jpg

Snoopy-inst-6.jpg

Snoopy-inst-7.jpg

• Like 11

Superb Richard,another reason I wanted this GB was to see the fun kit's Revell did so well,maybe we'll see the Red Baron and his funfdekker  or the Boothill

Express turn up!

The Snoopy vs the Red Baron saga is actually related to plastic modelling. In 1965, one of Charles Schulz's sons had started to make models of Great War aircraft (I don't know if they were 1/48 scale Aurora or 1/72 scale Revell and Airfix, which would have been the main ones available at the time), and Schulz decided to have the latest part of Snoopy's fantasy life become his being a World War I flying ace starting with the strip published on Sunday 10 October 1965 (below).

P6240249.jpg

The idea took off over the next few months, and even resulted in a novelty hit single by a Florida band called The Royal Guardsmen which got to number 2 in the Billboard Hot 100 ("I'm A Believer" by the Monkees kept the number 1 slot) and made the top 10 in the UK, and number 1 in Australia and Canada, though the Australian version was censored - apparently Aussies shouldn't be allowed to hear the word "bloody" on the radio!

Schulz and United Feature Syndicate (who distributed the Peanuts comic strip took legal action against the band and the royalties were awarded to UFS. Howevre, Schulz did allow the band to make several follow-up singles about Snoopy.

A ska remake of i"Snoopy vs The Red Baron" by The Hotshots made the UK top 10 in 1973, which is where I first heard it, having been too young to be following the charts in early 1967.

• Like 9

After a morning's session, I've got this far

P6250250.jpg

A bit of kit history - Bob Reder of Monogram was the one to come up with the idea of Snoopy as a model kit. He contacted Charles Schulz and flew out to California to meet hi. Schulz wasn't bothered about royalties, but wanted to have full approval over the preliminary sketches, prototypes and package design. The Snoopy figure was carved by Chrisendo "Scotty" Forte, a Scot from an Italian family.

The kit was publicised with a national TV advertising campaign, a cross-country air race between a replica Fokker triplane and a Nieuport 28 (as there wasn't a Sopwith Camel available) which ended with the pilots appearing dressed in WWI gear and as a dog on the TV show To Tell The Truth (on which the panel couldn't guess what they had been doing) and print adverts, which appeared in the Marvel comics published in June 1970 (these ones, Enzo) and is reproduced below.

Snoopy_ad.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Great model. Always loved Snoopy. I think there was a song about this I seem to remember having a 45 record of it as a kid and playing it over and over again.” :) 

There's a link to both UK hit versions of the song in the eighth post in the thread...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...