Monogram Mark IX Spitfire Defender of Britain in 1/48

Monogram-Spitifire.jpg

This one is in a rather battered box but the parts are all there. This should be a reasonably easy build I think, though getting the retractable undercarriage to work might be interesting. I'll get photos of the parts, instructions, decals and the aftermarket replacements decals I'll be using up once I've taken them.

• Like 7

I don't suppose anyone on Britmodeller needs to be told about the history of the real Spitfire. The Monogram kit dates from 1962, and was moulded in two colours, predating Matchbox by ten years. The main structure is moulded in grey (and the instructions suggest that this is left unpainted for the Ocean Grey part of the camouflage) and the detail parts in silver:

Monogram-Spitfire-gray.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-silver.jpg

The decals are for BS435 coded FY-F, which was the aircraft of Sq Ldr Hugo Throssell Armstrong DFC, the Australian commander of 611 Squadron (West Lancashire) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force, who was shot down and killed in this Spitfire on 5 February 1943 near Boulogne. though Monogram don't give any of this information. The decal sheet in my copy, apparently printed 50 years ago if I've interpreted the code on the back correctly, isn't usable, though I have an Xtradecal sheet which I can at least use the codes for FF-Y to replace the Monogram ones, though I'll need to make up the serials from a generic sheet. The Xtradecal national markings should be a straight replacement for the Monogram ones.

Monogram-Spitfire-decals-2.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-decals-1.jpg

As can be seen, Monogram have printed the codes and rear fuselage band in white rather than Sky, and advise painting the spinner the same gray as the underside. I'll be using Sky for these.

The Monogram instructions are, as usual at the time, pretty detailed written ones with photos of each step.

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-1.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-2.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-3.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-4.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-5.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-6.jpg

The rest of the colour call-outs are reasonable for 1962, with the Medium Sea Grey undersides being called Flat Light Gray and the Dark Green areas Flat Dark Olive Green. They did pick up on the wing leading edge Yellow stripes and the Yellow propellor blade tips.

I'll be building this straight from the box - I've got an Eduard Spitfire IX to do when I want to build a detailed 1/48 scale model of this variant.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

I don't suppose anyone on Britmodeller needs to be told about the history of the real Spitfire. The Monogram kit dates from 1962, and was moulded in two colours, predating Matchbox by ten years. The main structure is moulded in grey (and the instructions suggest that this is left unpainted for the Ocean Grey part of the camouflage) and the detail parts in silver:

Monogram-Spitfire-gray.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-silver.jpg

The decals are for BS435 coded FY-F, which was the aircraft of Sq Ldr Hugo Throssell Armstrong DFC, the Australian commander of 611 Squadron (West Lancashire) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force, who was shot down and killed in this Spitfire on 5 February 1943 near Boulogne. though Monogram don't give any of this information. The decal sheet in my copy, apparently printed 50 years ago if I've interpreted the code on the back correctly, isn't usable, though I have an Xtradecal sheet which I can at least use the codes for FF-Y to replace the Monogram ones, though I'll need to make up the serials from a generic sheet. The Xtradecal national markings should be a straight replacement for the Monogram ones.

Monogram-Spitfire-decals-2.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-decals-1.jpg

As can be seen, Monogram have printed the codes and rear fuselage band in white rather than Sky, and advise painting the spinner the same gray as the underside. I'll be using Sky for these.

The Monogram instructions are, as usual at the time, pretty detailed written ones with photos of each step.

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-1.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-2.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-3.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-4.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-5.jpg

Monogram-Spitfire-inst-6.jpg

The rest of the colour call-outs are reasonable for 1962, with the Medium Sea Grey undersides being called Flat Light Gray and the Dark Green areas Flat Dark Olive Green. They did pick up on the wing leading edge Yellow stripes and the Yellow propellor blade tips.

I'll be building this straight from the box - I've got an Eduard Spitfire IX to do when I want to build a detailed 1/48 scale model of this variant.

I have a partial sheet in the files somewhere, let me look around and see if I can find them. If I do and they look serviceable will let you know. 

Dennis