Revell 1/25 Mercedes-Benz 1628s #2: Artic Tractor and Low Loader Trailer - FINISHED

Goeie middag Jeroen,

you really are the king of trucks! Although I lean more towards tractors (don't ask), you almost make me want to build a truck....

Your builds are always so precise.

Great show so far.

JR

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Goeie middag Jeroen,

you really are the king of trucks! Although I lean more towards tractors (don't ask), you almost make me want to build a truck....

Your builds are always so precise.

Great show so far.

JR

Goeie middag Jean, dank je wel! Tractors are fun to build as well, although there aren't that many kits to choose from. The downside of truck building is that the kits are expensive. Some old(er) kit from ebay or some such site is preferable over a new one! 

• Like 1

Id love to see a whole series of John Deere farm tractors in say 1/35 or 1/24 someday. Id build more than one as I grew up around so many of them. I think there is a real possibility of this in 1/35 soon as how many tractors have we seen dragging tanks away on Ukrainian roads this year. 

Been a couple of days since I did any real work on it. I put in the engine and all the pipes and such. Didn't take a lot of trouble doing it, it will not be seen on this build. 

20220819175044-ffa11b86-me.jpg

Then, I finished the cab which was pretty easily done. I like the black and silver look. 

20220819175043-e015afa1-me.jpg

• Like 10

I painted the hubs and rims today. Hubs were glued to the axles. 

20220820213706-835b3d0f-me.jpg

The cab was taken off to fiddle with the lettering. 

The rims were painted Tamiya Flat Alu, which is a really nice paint. The coverage is crazy. 

20220820213706-9f5f8c95-me.jpg

I'll add the tyres tomorrow when the paint has fully cured. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Is the green on the engine correct? what green is it?

Well, correct, I don't know... It's based on a couple of pics I have, like this

20220821075629-6800aec2-me.jpg

but I've seen some kind of dark grey as well. So "my" green is a little too dark here maybe (it's Tamiya's Cockpit Green XF-71, unmixed), but that's just because I'm lazy. It should be easy to lighten it up some. 

I used these reference shots on the engine of my first 1628 build a couple of years ago. I don't know which green I used then, it may be in the thread somewhere. 

20200207180342-f92b909c-me.jpg

• Like 4

Wheels are on. 

20220821114046-ec698922-me.jpg

She's looking nice and compact. 

Only problem is, she's a tripod. I hate it when that happens. I'll have to fix that because it looks stupid. 

20220821114046-cf8b796d-me.jpg

Anyway this is about finished, save for the wipers, mirrors and painting of the indicator lights. The build itself is of course still in full swing as I'll have to build the hydraulic tank and the trailer!

3 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

One day you'll inspire me to build one of the trucks in my stash, Not yet saying when though...

Knowing you, you probably have some good ones in there!

• Like 8

Lovely on wheels! I really like the compact look of that chassis, it gives it some sort of "no nonsens" feeling.

Tripods are not fun at all, but I'm sure you can make a tweak in the right place to cure that.

7 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Knowing you, you probably have some good ones in there!

No exotic crazy resin I'm afreid 😉, only all the Renault related by Italeri and Heller.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

No exotic crazy resin I'm afreid 😉, only all the Renault related by Italeri and Heller.

I'm waiting for them to release the modern Renault truck, I don't think they have one yet. I'm not a big fan of the modern trucks but the Renault, I like. I always get sort of a Transformer vibe off those. 

• Like 1

OK, the rig itself is done. Except for the mirrors, I'll leave those off until the very end, for obvious reasons. 

20220822210242-432cba46-me.jpg

20220822210243-ab4a41c4-me.jpg

20220822210243-2c19263d-me.jpg

20220822210242-97607ccc-me.jpg

Now, that hydraulic tank with the suzi rack. When that's in place I can figure out how much space I have to rest the trailer on the tractor unit. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend's Blitz Build was a nice mojo booster. Not that I was running really low but still, sometimes you need something to get you going again once you've completed a stage in the build. 

So I've been working on the hydraulic tank. I've made the basic shape and also a platform for it. 

20220901213909-fa5a0a58-me.jpg

Which should go on the truck like this. I think the size looks good. 

20220901213909-af56b8c4-me.jpg

I will tart it up with some more details of course, and there should be a rack to hold the air and hydraulic connectors as well. I think I'll put some diamond plate on the chassis as well, you'll need easy access to this system. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Nicely made tank, nice thing is so much can be made with imagination like he real ones with parts that are not factory.

That's the thing I like most about building trucks!

I think the tank is pretty much finished. 

20220903203259-5e599367-me.jpg

I found a nice greeble in my greeble collection, I can connect some hoses to that nicely. 

The suzie rack is also prepared for hoses, just needs some holes drilled, but first I'll slap some paint on it. 

20220903203259-1bd5c64d-me.jpg

• Like 6