Revell 1/25 Mercedes-Benz 1628s #2: Artic Tractor and Low Loader Trailer - FINISHED

So this will be build number 2, from a 1982 reboxing. 

20220620214703-1a7eaa27-me.jpg

I will build this as a beavertail truck, which when all goes well will have the newly purchased chassis truck from build #1 on its back. The chassis will also have to be extended and the flatbed and ramps will be scratch built. 

• Like 15

I've made a start on this, separated all the parts which are formed up of halves from the sprues, and all the engine parts. 

20220625072415-d97adf41-me.jpg

I noticed a difference, this kit which is a later boxing has the driveshaft made up out of halves, while the original boxing has a complete drive shaft. Pitty!

• Like 4

Parts box done for the beavertail as well. 

20220625160016-48fb76bc-me.jpg

First, I glue all these halves together, then reward myself with building an engine 🙂 

The leaf spring design leaves something to be desired. It's just a bit crude, but not much will be seen. 

20220625160016-74fc6e48-me.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So, time to revive this second build, as the first one is in the gallery. My original plan was to make a beavertail flatbed out of this one, so I could put the just finished chassis truck on it. However, since the latter turned out quite big at 33 cm (I'd say that's just about spot on for 1 ft 1 inch) it would have to be a pretty hefty flatbed. I'd convert it to a 6x2 to make it look good, but it's not an ideal size. Also, I already have 3 flatbed trucks in my cabinet. I'm going to do something else! 

I think the Van Dordt company needs a low loader transporter trailer. 

Definitely. This way, we can move trucks and special equipment and such super easy. We can just hook it up to any artic tractor. 

Something like this is what I'm talking about: https://www.wsi-models.com/nl/semi-lowloader-4-axle

Just with less axles, namely 2. I happen to have 4 lowboy trailer wheels which are perfect for this trailer. 

20220803204812-7dd2a92e-me.jpg

A regular truck wheel for scale. This also means that I'm actually going to build this kit, with the exception of the wheels of course, OOB! Isn't that nice. So, I'm going to go ahead and do that, and in the meantime figure out how I'd like to build that trailer. 

I also already have an idea of what colour the cab will be, if that works out like I think it will. I'm going to have a go anyway, it's Alclad's Dark Alu. I think it should look nice with a flat coat on as I don't want the shiny look. With a dark grey chassis. That'll be AWESOME! Oops, sorry, I don't know why that's in capital letters 🙂 

OK, enough waffle. 

• Like 5

• JeroenS changed the title to Revell 1/25 Mercedes-Benz 1628s #2: Artic Tractor and Low Loader Trailer

Here's the chassis almost done. 

20220804073859-121094f4-me.jpg

20220804073859-6b92a31c-me.jpg

It doesn't take much to get to this stage which is nice. I think the chassis in this kit is a good balance between a nice result and how much you have to do to get it. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great start Jeroen,rusty or pristine for this one?

Thanks Steve, this one will be much better looking than the first!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

This will be an interesting rig. Strange the driveshaft is two halves. Would it work to replace it with tubing?

Well, the halves are fine once you glue them together. And, later I found out I was wrong when I said the original boxing had a one part driveshaft! They were just halves, like the other boxes which makes sense of course. I just hadn't used both my eyeballs I guess. It was probably some wishful thinking as well.

• Like 1

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures today but I started out by completing the chassis and most of the stuff that goes on.

20220807200315-e603ac4f-me.jpg

At first, I wanted to paint the chassis dark grey and mudguards etc black, but deemed it too much work so I went with full semi gloss black which should also have better contrast with the alu colour I had in mind for the cab. 

20220807200315-64f3c012-me.jpg

These are all the other parts, they got some colour on as well. 

20220807200315-74ad6b61-me.jpg

I sprayed the Alclad gloss black primer on the cab early in the afternoon and let that dry out until just now. Then, I sprayed the dark alu.

20220807200315-fa14554d-me.jpg

It went on OK, but there are a couple of spots like this: 

20220807200314-40a3774e-me.jpg

Hm... don't know what's going on there. I guess I'll let that cure for a couple of days, then check back to see if it has gotten worse, and if not what I can do about it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Strange since yu used alclad base and alclad, the base is just thinned testors black. Maybe the black was still not fully cured is my guess. I had laquer cracks before and all I could do is sand it out and treat it as a spot repair or strip the cab. If there was a seam at the top of the windsheild you could just repair the corner but now this would have to be blended and it's laquer. I have used gloss black acrylic under alclad and it worked ok. Just thinking that since it's more neutral and shouldn't react over the silver like enamel would.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Maybe the black was still not fully cured is my guess.

Yeah, I think so. I'll try wet sanding with very fine grit and a spot repair with the alu. It doesn't have to end up perfect. I wasn't planning on weathering this truck but that's always an option. I really don't feel like stripping the thing. 

9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Yeah, I think so. I'll try wet sanding with very fine grit and a spot repair with the alu. It doesn't have to end up perfect. I wasn't planning on weathering this truck but that's always an option. I really don't feel like stripping the thing. 

Give it a try, weathering it is an option.

• Like 1

So, I carefully wet sanded the cab and did a respray of the entire cab. In some places the spots are gone, in others they're less but still there. 

20220809203215-c9f5faf2-me.jpg

But I like the colour, and I don't like stripping paint, which means this truck will be weathered to some extent. Fine with me 🙂 .... I'll let this cure, spray the lettering on it and flat coat it before weathering. 

• Like 8

Yesterday, I was ready to spray the lettering and logo's on the cab. A bout of masking ensued. 

20220813135132-f96e6a63-me.jpg

I had used a new font for the company name, and also, at the last moment I thought "why not leave the small letter inlays (of the A and the O for example) off"? Maybe it will look good. 

Nope, it didn't. I wasn't happy with this at all. First, with the lettering itself, second, with the placement and spacing. 

20220813135132-f865abd0-me.jpg

So, I sanded the letters off, and while I was sanding this gave me the opportunity to get rid of the last bits of crackly paint. 

20220813135133-c38d30f1-me.jpg

More masking and a respray of primer on the front of the cab. 

20220813135132-a400c162-me.jpg

I'll let this cure for a couple of days this time around and respray the Alu paint. That should take care of all the issues with that paint and the cab should look nice. Then, re-apply the lettering. 

I'll start with assembling the chassis, looks like this will be a clean truck anyway. In the meantime, I'm going to build something like this, because it looks cool. 

20220813140509-5ca58114-me.jpg

It seems appropriate for a truck pulling a large utility trailer. 

• Like 7

Never be afraid to rework until satisfied! I agree about the lettering. To me that looked a bit to modern. It would be fine for your company's much more current trucks though.  The next version will be fine! Very different from your first MB chassis also. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Glad the cab is repairable. Is that a hydraulic oil tank behind the cab? If it is, are they called "wet kits"? I just heard the term wet kit before.

I think it's a hydraulic tank indeed. I took this photo myself, this is from a tractor unit pulling a large dumper trailer. I don't know what a wet kit is I'm afraid!

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Never be afraid to rework until satisfied! I agree about the lettering. To me that looked a bit to modern. It would be fine for your company's much more current trucks though.  The next version will be fine! Very different from your first MB chassis also. 👍

I do hope to finish all three of the benzes, which would mean I have four very different trucks when I'm done which I think is pretty cool.

I looked it up to make sure, yes it is that unit. The hydraulic oil tank, pump and such to operate any trailer with hydraulics since they aren't built on trailers. Now we both know, maybe it's a bit of a slang for them out here. I remember visiting the Kw dealer one time and overheard a driver who just bought a new truck complaining that he asked the kid there to install a we kit and he said the kid ( I guess he was quite new) didn't know what he was referring to. I wouldn't know how either.

• Like 1

The cab has had its respray yesterday, and tonight I sprayed the new lettering. 

20220815214819-5d959f7a-me.jpg

Apart from the "D" which needs a little finessing, I'm OK with this. The letters could have been a little taller but it's not too bad.

• Like 6