Revell 1/25 Mercedes-Benz 1628s #1: Chassis Truck

16 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I reckon you've made one of these truck things before. All very convincing work - looks great.

Thanks. I like building these truck thingies 🙂  

Started with the wheels this morning, they're done now. 

20220731142921-e200fd5a-me.jpg

Then, final bit of wiring / plumbing. 

20220731142922-6f864147-me.jpg

I'm not wiring the top of the engine as it will not be on display. 

On to more weathering. 

20220731142921-2afcdff8-me.jpg

Mudguards and battery box to do, then I can move on the cab. 

Let's have a look at where we're going, I always like to do that, to see if it still makes a bit of sense when all the parts are fitted together. 

20220731142922-9971a3d4-me.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

That's looking mighty impressive! It really makes the day when it gets busy with all the wiring and plumbing, the painted over and suitable weathered. And so much of it scratched. Very nice work!

Thanks Jörgen!

Well, she only needs mirrors, wipers, steps and a once over with a little bit of dust (that front window is way too clean) and she's done. 

20220731210519-8052cd17-me.jpg

20220731210519-f4d5c8db-me.jpg

Tomorrow should see her in the gallery! I am mighty pleased with how it turned out, pretty much exactly as I had planned which is always nice 🙂 

• Like 8

She's all done. One down, two to go 🙂 

20220801200530-b145d08d-me.jpg

More in the gallery later. Thanks for following along!

• Like 11

WOW! I mean, really WOW! I had to  do a double take. I thought this was a photo of a truck in a work yard. You almost can smell the diesel fuel and age on this build.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done sir, it seems my post never took yesterday ?

Thanks Dennis, well, apparently your post went AWOL yesterday as this is the first time I see it. 

30 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was asking if you used anything in the rear to weigh it so it didn't sit on its nose ? 

No extra weight was added. Those rear wheels actually have some weight to them and apparently it's enough. I've never thought about a truck tipping over, it has never happened to my builds, but I can imagine that as an aircraft builder you're concerned about it!

You know, it's funny, I just remembered that as a kid, I had those exact worries when I saw a cab-over truck like this. It was in a time when the "long nosed" (or "torpedo" as we call it here) trucks were still driving around here (almost extinct now), so at some point the cab-overs must have caught my eye and I vividly remember being worried that they would tip over when they had no trailer attached! 🙂 

19 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

WOW! I mean, really WOW! I had to  do a double take. I thought this was a photo of a truck in a work yard. You almost can smell the diesel fuel and age on this build.

Thanks! That's the idea, I'm glad it came across!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeroen,

The Netherlands have gone down the drain since I worked there! People used to take better care of their vehicles then!

Nothing a coat of orange can't fix!

Did I miss the point?

As shoddy bodywork goes, you have done yourself proud. 

The grime is just so realistic. Congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

This is real 'shrink-ray and a time machine' stuff, Jeroen.

Incredible.

I can't recall when I've seen weathering done better, on any subject.

Thanks Old Man (that sounds bad!), that's rather high praise. 

11 hours ago, jean said:

The Netherlands have gone down the drain since I worked there! People used to take better care of their vehicles then!

I have nothing smart to say about that... was this in the time when dad went out with a bucket and a sponge on Saturday mornings, trying to keep the rust at bay and failing?

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I have nothing smart to say about that... was this in the time when dad went out with a bucket and a sponge on Saturday mornings, trying to keep the rust at bay and failing?

He must have been the only one who did not follow the boodschappen doen morgen ritual.

I may have seen him once all on his own with his bucket.

JR

1 hour ago, jean said:

He must have been the only one who did not follow the boodschappen doen morgen ritual.

I may have seen him once all on his own with his bucket.

JR

Mine wasn't all too big on washing "the car" either. And he was lucky that my mother did the boodschappen during the week. 

• Haha 1