1/48 Douglas TBD-1A Devastator floatplane, GWH

Gorgeous as always Fuad ! 

When I see a post from you I know it will be beautiful !

I particularly like the way you treated the aluminum parts !

best,

Christian.

Superb model! You have made a masterful job of two tricky colours to paint well. I had no idea the TBD was ever tested on floats, I am amazed it manage to take off at all!

Should both ailerons be drooped though? 😛

34 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Should both ailerons be drooped though? 😛

Yes. They could be, if the hydraulic system were released.

10 hours ago, Fuad said:

Yes. They could be, if the hydraulic system were released.

The control surfaces of the TBD were mechanically connected to the control stick or rudder pedals and were not, if I remember correctly, hydraulically boosted. Although there were (and are) airplanes with drooped ailerons for low-speed lift, the TBD was not one of them. If one is down, the other should be up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The control surfaces of the TBD were mechanically connected to the control stick or rudder pedals and were not, if I remember correctly, hydraulically boosted. Although there were (and are) airplanes with drooped ailerons for low-speed lift, the TBD was not one of them. If one is down, the other should be up.

It may well be that and as you say. But then I will ask you to make a remark to the "GWH" (manufacturer of this model), who made the ailerons in such a way that without violence against them it is impossible to glue them properly (and I don't like violence 😊).

Very nicely done. I know that there was only this one Devastator built with floats and it was used for tests, does that explain why there are only markings on one side of the fuselage or have GWH got that wrong?

Duncan B

9 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Very nicely done. I know that there was only this one Devastator built with floats and it was used for tests, does that explain why there are only markings on one side of the fuselage or have GWH got that wrong?

Duncan B

In this GWH was not mistaken, this floatplane devastator was made only in a single copy.

• Like 1

Just now, Fuad said:

In this GWH was not mistaken, this floatplane devastator was made only in a single copy.

Does the instructions give any clue why there are the big numbers and the black line only on one side of the fuselage?

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Does the instructions give any clue why there are the big numbers and the black line only on one side of the fuselage?

Duncan B

No. I didn't find any clues. There is not even an indication of the application of a black stripe. It's on the decal, but not in the instructions. And nothing is said about the fact that the tips of the floats should be painted black. I found this from archival photos. Maybe they weren't even black.

• Like 1