Airfix Angel Interceptor (from the Snap 'n' Glue boxing)

I dug this kit out of the stash for a bit of light relief, but ended up doing a little more to it than I had originally expected.

spacer.png

Nose sharpened and the spurious finlets either side removed, lower tail intake vents corrected and the semi-circular vent at the top hollowed out, tail pipe replaced, nose gun added from plastic tubing, a little bit of detailing inside the cockpit including a slightly smaller pilot figure (the lesser known reserve pilot Cacophony Angel) - more in scale, and the original very basic decals replaced with home-printed copies of the rather lovely (and comprehensive) ones provided by Airfix in their more recent (2011-ish?) re-release (still in my stash). WIP can be found here

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Nige

Edited by Galligraphics
  • Like 33

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to see you removed the extraneous clips that were added to allow the nose to clip on. I remember an article in Airfix Monthly a few years back where the builder had left these on, not realising they were NOT part of the original model but added by Airfix for the snap on kit.

Sharpening the nose makes such a difference!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I'm glad to see you removed the extraneous clips that were added to allow the nose to clip on. I remember an article in Airfix Monthly a few years back where the builder had left these on, not realising they were NOT part of the original model but added by Airfix for the snap on kit.

I’ve seen more than one build where they’ve been left on. I just wonder how many of those builders actually watched the series and so would be familiar with the correct outline of the Interceptor? Although it’s not as if there isn’t plenty of reference material out there…

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 8:26 AM, kapam said:

Lovely to see something so toy-like turned into a really sharp replica like this.

Warms the heart of a Captain Scarlet (original series) fan like me!

Thanks for those kind words (and indeed to @HL-10 , @Kallisti and @Bertie McBoatface who also commented) - it all helps restore the modelling mojo (which hasn't been much in evidence over the last couple of months thanks to COVID, cold weather, a cold, wet weather, etc, etc).

Cheers, guys

Nige

• Like 2

Great job on the kit! :clap2:

I thought I still had that kit, and checked my database. I have 2 bagged kits, 1973 issue, Kit 02026-8. Since the kits' boxes long since deteriorated, I bagged them and put them in an excess Revell/ESCI 1/48 McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18 box. That kit was started & abandoned years ago. Also in my kit box was a bagged Minicraft/Hasegawa 1/72 MiG-25 Foxbat and a bagged Aurora 1/200 Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor.

Seeing your build has piqued my interest in the Angel Interceptor, as well as the Ragnarok. I think I will build one Angel Interceptor "box Stock", as long as the kit decals are still usable, and one in total What-If markings. :hmmm:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I think I will build one Angel Interceptor "box Stock", as long as the kit decals are still usable, and one in total What-If markings. :hmmm:

Excellent - I look forward to the WIP :wink: