1/32 Yellow Wing Grumman F3F

My entry for this GB is Revell-Monograms Grumman F3F, first produced as the civilian Gulfhawk in 1960. So the moulds are older than me, just!

Grumman F3F

First surprise was discovering two kits in the box when I opened it, I don’t remember buying a second copy. One (loose) in silver plastic and one (bagged) in grey. Looks like the original decals have had it, so will be using the Yellow Wings aftermarket decals which I also don’t recall purchasing.

Grumman F3F

Grumman F3F

As I said the kit was originally released as the Gulfhawk, from reading around now the internet it appears Monogram did update the the cowling to depict the F3F-3 but didn’t update the upper wing. The F3F had a 32’ wingspan compared to the Gulfhawk’s 28’7” wingspan. Lone Star Models did make a wing correction but doesn’t seem to be available any more. A change to the cockpit is also required as the as kit retains the DF loop behind the pilot's head as fitted to the Gulfhawk but the F3F-3 has a headrest there instead. 

Got some thinking to do, do I use the second kits to extend the wings or do I except them as is and build them both (easier to fit into the cabinet). Decisions, decisions.

I do like the instructions from the older boxing.

Grumman F3F

Grumman F3F

• Like 12

Ooh, nice! :popcorn:

You could also build Gulfhawk II, but decals would be a problem. I looked to see if DrawDecals had decals, but sadly they don't. They would be hard to make yourself as they need white.

Wonderful! I remember converting the original Gulfhawk to an F3F-2 when I was a youngster. The result wasn't close to any known version of the Grumman, but I thought I had done a great job. Looking forward to your approach. A wing extension from the second kit sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know I have not forgotten this.

I have finished my entries in the F-5, Canadian and Blitzbuild GBs so now have some time to work on this.

I’ve decided to build it out of the box and see if I can get the working undercarriage to work.

• Like 2

Started work on the working feature of the undercarriage. Designed to work when you  wind the propeller.

Grumman F3F

Grumman F3F

Assembly was fiddly. The plastic to quite brittle, I tried it when assemble, it worked after a fashion, but the joints look very weak and seemed to be under a lot of stress. So I decided to fix them in the down position. 

You can see the large cog that forms part of the working feature sticking out of the side of the fuselage. Now I have fixed the undercarriage down I am going to remove the cog and fill the gap.

Grumman F3F

• Like 9

Making slow but steady progress. Started decalling before final assembly.

Grumman F3F

Grumman F3F

The 3 colour prop tips where provided as decals. Tried them but didn’t like the result, I struggled to get them to wrap the tip, they just fractured, so stripped them off and broke out the paint and masking tape.

Grumman F3F

Finally beginning to look like an aircraft.

Grumman F3F

• Like 13

These yellow wing planes are a delight to behold. And when built to your high standard.....

I can't wait to see the finished model.

JR   

• Like 1

Rigged with EZLine. Was a relatively straight forward process using the molded in fittings. 

Grumman F3F

Was then just the simple task of fitting the engine.

Grumman F3F

Grumman F3F

With that I am calling it finished, will am to take some better pictures for the gallery over the weekend.

A thoroughly enjoyable build of an aircraft from the golden age of flight.

• Like 14

Hi JB,

Allow me to congratulate you on a stunning build.

The plane is delightful, and as this is my favorite period of aviation, I am really happy to admire your model.

Superb modelling.

JR