A-4M Skyhawk - Bomb Truck.

Hello everyone.                               VMA-311 ‘Tomcats’ April 1985.

After just a 40 year wait I’ve finally got myself a Scooter that was knocking around as I was growing up. 

With the Hasegawa kit not being really available for some time, the box art of the Hobby Boss kit was a good selling point for me. Sadly everything went down hill from here on in, with my build strewn with errors and too many accessories it’s made me feel a little stupid. 🤨

The M ‘Mike’ boxing is frankly a disaster zone, it’s missing the best part of two sprue’s, the clear parts missing are the anti-col lights, and a good chunk of aerials and air scoops. The wings don’t come with the prominent ‘slats’ which is a deal breaker for a lot of modellers. It comes with a vast selection of weapons, sadly not applicable for this A/C.

Accessories used:

ResKit wheels.    (Didn’t enjoy these rascals.)

Eduard Multiple Ejector Launcher.      (Lovely - but time consuming to build.)

Eduard Mk 82 Snake Eye with retardant tails.  (Lovely but horrible to assemble.)

Eduard cockpit etch set.        (Really lovely.)

Attack Squadron/Arma Hobby Douglas 150 Gal fuel tanks.         (Ggggrrrrr - never again.)

Quick Boost 48-574 F-105 Thunerchief aerials.       (For missing kit parts.)

Quick Boost intake covers.    (Lovely.)

Quick Boost 48-574 Kfir C2-C7 air scoops.    (For missing parts.)

Quick Boost refuelling probe.           (I managed to snap the kit part off and couldn’t get it to stay back on.)

Anti-col lights.    Spares box.         (Just not funny H.B 😲)

Two Bobs 48092 Lo-Vis Mikes Pt I.         (Out of production, really would like to see as set of      1/32 Tomcats decals low-vis.)

Plus Models F-4 Phantom pilot set.      (Pilot has his side arm weapon removed.)

spacer.png

This dark and moody photo is where some of the model features became a prerequisite - intake blanks and white fuel tanks.

spacer.png

Inspiration for paint colours and weathering.

spacer.png

The air brakes have been depicted as just cracked as per reference photos. Many missing and much needed aerials and scoops are shown here.

spacer.png

I’ve gone for a sun bleached weathered look.

spacer.png

It might be just a grey colour scheme but, red intake blanks, yellow steps, blue bombs and black cat art lift things.

spacer.png

This IPad is really struggling to create a decent photo.

spacer.png

One of the problems with the underside, is well, it might not be seen. But I’ve given the bomb bodies  a sun bleached look and a greasy grubby looking lower surfaces. The fuel tanks this time around being mostly clean.

spacer.png

Now if I could make an OA-4M to go with this kit I’d be very happy, but Hasegawa TA-4J is rarer than hens teeth. 

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.   😉

• Like 45

56 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Your build experience seems to have been mediocre  at best 

😄   True - very true  for the rest of this year I’ m aiming for a more relaxed hobby.

58 minutes ago, exdraken said:

the result though is rather  splendid!

😉 thank you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...