Viggen Differences

Roof Rat

I know the SK-37E was developed from the standard SK-37 trainer, my question and sorry if it's a bit dumb-*ss, are there any visual differences between the SK and SKE.

I thinking of back dating the Special Hobby 1/48 release SK-37E Stör-Viggen Electronic Warfare Aggressor (SH48150) to a standard SK.

I've downloaded Mike's excellent review (December 2018) and several pieces from the internet, to be going on with.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

RR (Chris)

A few - the StörViggen carries some pods not used by the basic trainer (U95, U22, KB chaff / flare dispenser), and the upper radome has a yellow demarcation line for a dielectric panel for the nosemounted G24 jammer.

In addition, one SK37E (#37811) was painted in the grey air defence scheme.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hook

Thanks for the info, I've slightly edited my question to reflect the answer(s) I'm after, poor wording in the first place sorry.

Thanks again.

RR (Chris)

2 hours ago, Roof Rat said:

Thanks for the info, I've slightly edited my question to reflect the answer(s) I'm after,

Ah, I misunderstood you. 

In that case, I have looked up the instructions of your kit on Scalemates - don't use spine antenna #24 and decal#63 on the upper nose, and that's it. SH does not include any of the Stör-Viggen specific pods, it seems. 

Edit: contrary to my first post, #38811 was painted in the grey air defence scheme before being converted to an SK37E. 

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Orso said:

I don't know if Special Hobby did a Stör Viggen rear cockpit or the standard one as I don't build 1/48.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/saab-sk-37e-st-r-viggen-electronic-warfare-agressor-1-48.html

does this help?

sh48150_lept_finln_tisk_new_z5.jpg

img_7333_result_z11.jpg

it is definitely only done in PE

instructions: cockpit on page 5

https://www.specialhobby.eu/out/ftp/media/100-SH48150.pdf

Good morning

Hook and Orso thank you for your replies, they are appreciated. 

Hook thanks for the info on back-dating the SKE to SK standard, easier than I thought.

Cheers

RR (Chris)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Orso said:

Strange. There seems o be no standard instrument panel for the rear seat to be found in 1/48.

In 1/72 there are photo etch cockpits for both the standard Sk37 and the Sk37E

That is curious, as to my knowledge, Special Hobby never released a Stor-Viggen in 72nd scale. Or am I wrong?

15 hours ago, Orso said:

Strange. There seems o be no standard instrument panel for the rear seat to be found in 1/48.

In 1/72 there are photo etch cockpits for both the standard Sk37 and the Sk37E

but you could use the plastic IP provided, no?

It shows the radar scope in the center.... at least in the instructions! (Part 202B)