Monogram 1/24 Paddy Wagon - It's a riot! 85-7807 +++Finished+++

Here's the placeholder offering whilst I get on with the DC-5 in the Turning Japanese GB. It's a 2005 re-pop of the kit first released in 1968. It's a Tom Daniel design.

Why this you might ask? Well as a child who was a loyal Airfix customer, these odd American designs always had my attention, however I was never able to save enough of my pocket money to close the deal. The November 1969 issue of Scale Models has an advert from Argyle Models in Glasgow where the Monogram 1/24 1955 Chevy is 32 shillings, and BMW Models had both the new Airfix Harrier and Cessna 0-2 at 2/9 - what was a boy to do?

So for my first 1/24 'Funny' it's this fella. Moulding and decals look good, no doubt the chrome will have to be stripped, and I've got a box of 1/24 aftermarket somewhere that will hopefully let me detail the engine up. I can't wait to get stuck in.

52160086363_6cb6c0e7b4_c.jpg

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, TimJ said:

Nice choice. First Tom Daniel designed kit in this GB but definitely not the last as I'll be building one of mine once I decide which one. 

This sounds good.

I'm off to the loft. I may be some time...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

This looks fun - and two decal options too :coolio:

Oh yes - just investigating some candy/flake options in gold to go with the dark blue finish as well. 🤩

Also dug out my July 1978 copy of Scale Models as it's got a nice article on custom car spraying which impressed me back in the day.

• Like 3

Parts washed ready for Saturday start. I wasn't going to start until much later, but enthusiasm has got the better of me. Oh, and I have inadvertently stripped all of the chrome sprue back to the blue plastic.... :pirate:

52167660251_716726d177_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Engine block glued together, and major parts taped together. There are various locating lugs that can now be cut away as they don't offer a lot to the stability and they are quite ugly. The previously chromed parts have come up very nicely - there is a lovely level of detail on them that the thick, chrome coating obscured a little. Floor pedals cut away to be replaced by more realistic components. Already thinking about what to do with the exhausts - they look a little weedy to me, and you wouldn't finish them in front of the cab, would you? Also need to detail the engine up a little - it looks very plain. A few ejector pins here and there, but nothing that cannot be resolved. Lovely mouldings, (moldings?) though, and I think I am going to enjoy this one.

52171509146_2b84513d66_c.jpg

• Like 6

I wouldn't worry about the exhausts - it's a show rod.   Besides, unless I'm missing something in the instructions, they neglected to include any kind of distributor or mag, so it's not going to run anyway...  🥸

Serious answer - I still wouldn't worry about it.  Example:

01152-vi.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Six97s said:

I wouldn't worry about the exhausts - it's a show rod.   Besides, unless I'm missing something in the instructions, they neglected to include any kind of distributor or mag, so it's not going to run anyway...  🥸

Serious answer - I still wouldn't worry about it.  Example:

Thanks for that - too late though - I ordered some brass tube earlier, and it would be a shame to waste it! 😁 And of course I can't leave it without any wiring, can I? 🤓 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on this. Parts have been tidied up and primed as we go, whilst deciding on what finishes to use on the parts that were previously chrome. I think a dull aluminium for anything below the chassis, and a chrome like finish above - we'll see. I'll be using some 'wood' decal for the benches in the back, and a bright red/pink for the upholstery perhaps. The tyres are slightly odd shapes, however the tread will be roughed up in any case, so it shouldn't be an issue. The fit of parts looks very good in general.

52202133404_bf61b5878b_c.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

It can't be nearly three months since I posted on this - blimey. Not done a fat lot, though some time at the bench is coming up. Prepped a few bits for a first splash  of colour, so we'll see how it goes. Sort of lost the desire to detail much up on it now, but I'll probably add some wiring to the engine just to add interest.

52392871452_b332b7b6a9_c.jpg

52393888073_ce7334f20b_c.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That's a shame. It would be good to see it as if it could work. 

We'll see - mojo might come flooding back once there is a bit of colour on it. Hopefully, tomorrow is that day.

• Like 1

Paint on! Tried a metallic blue straight from a rattle can, happy with that. White primer for the leather areas, brown for the seats - wood decal to go on top, and a gloss black undercoat for the chrome or aluminium pieces. Moving on slowly.

52410836170_3763d219bb_c.jpg

52410836310_98402f8d3b_c.jpg

52410392821_9602413984_c.jpg

• Like 5

..and a bit more. 'Leather' is a bright red/pink, and the engine is in gloss red. The second coat of blue turned out ok, hopefully get some clear on it later.

52414646161_9194f9ae58_c.jpg

52415159123_496e53fff2_c.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more done. Got the decals onto the sides - they went on ok with a little Microsol. Once they are properly dry they can be tidied up. All the 'silver' pieces have had a first coat of Alclad Chrome, again it looks ok for the most part, expected it a bit shinier, but it's a start. Other bits and pieces are progressed as well. Away from the bench now for two weeks, but should have enough time after that to get it all tidied up and assembled.

52450435070_ca98561203_c.jpg

52449465172_c81f18e44b_c.jpg

52449465312_eabd11c636_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

More colouring in done. I'll be starting assembly today, but I dived in too early yesterday and have some handling marks on the sides, so they'll need a rub down and a re-coat. Any idea of customisation is out of the window, though I have altered the air scoop from two units into a single piece, it looked too untidy for me the way the kit would have it. Used some Games Workshop Nuln Oil on the transmission as a test - what a great product that is - thanks to @81-er for that tip.

Might get this one done, though we are off to deepest Shropshire for an off-the-grid holiday on Friday, we'll see.

52485154947_9aa2e62168_c.jpg

52486112085_bc385847e7_c.jpg

• Like 3

Got a bit done today - felt like a blitzbuild! The kit parts fit very nicely - mainly with cyano in this case as most parts were painted, and I didn't want to scrape everything back to bare plastic. Some of the earlier parts of the build resisted the normal cements, and I ended up using tube cement to get a decent joint. Anyhow, need to get the dash done which is holding things up - everything else has been test-fitted and looks ok. Just a couple of parts to spray up this evening, one of the wheel hubs, and some blue staining on the exhausts. Fingers crossed, this may get completed in time.

52487063111_b8f1570f26_c.jpg

52487611308_bb3932835e_c.jpg

• Like 4