Revell 1/96 hms beagle

• 4 weeks later...

Right chaps I won't be building this one for a simple fact that the Hull halves are hms bounty I thought it was just bad luck that I had the wrong Hull halves but having a good Google its revell have cheated as building would result in something inaccurate. 

Where are the gun ports because this is definitely hms bounty.

spacer.png

Here is hms beagle. 

spacer.png

I suppose I could name it hms boulge

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

That's got to be weirdest thing! How were they going to sell Bounty and Beagle with the same hull and hope nobody would notice?

Did they never sell both at the same time or something 🤷

I have just seen a few reviews and I suppose revell thought if it looks good enough nobody would notice that the Hull is hms bounty I am going to build it but I can't call it hms beagle because it ain't. 

• Like 3

Still worth a build Peter as I'm on with the Bounty right now I see the issue with the Hull,the deck has been changed but that hull is no warship,as bounty

was originally a merchantman build it as such you can pick your own scheme and no one can argue!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

I suppose revell thought if it looks good enough nobody would notice

Gidday, I've noticed that in books from time to time. An article about a particular ship or event will sometimes have the wrong ship included. Like the attitude is "It's a ship, ain't it? Who's going to know if it's the wrong one?"     Err, quite a few, actually! I even have an article - the actual newspaper cutting - of a photo of the Scharnhorst altered to look like Bismarck.

Back to your model, it must be disappointing if you wanted to do Beagle herself but as it's a Revell/Monogram GB and a Revell kit you could always whiff the build. To me it would still qualify and you could let your imagination run a little - or a lot.     HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, airfixpeter said:

Right chaps I won't be building this one for a simple fact that the Hull halves are hms bounty I thought it was just bad luck that I had the wrong Hull halves but having a good Google its revell have cheated as building would result in something inaccurate. 

Where are the gun ports because this is definitely hms bounty.

spacer.png

Here is hms beagle. 

spacer.png

I suppose I could name it hms boulge

As you say, the hull is very like the armed transport Bounty - Beagle was a Cherokee Class Sloop with the early brig type sailing rig with two masts but for Darwin's voyages it was modified to a more normal three masted Barque rig configuration with a forecastle deck added. When armed they had 10 guns on the gundeck, whereas Bounty had 4 small 4pdr cannon on the poop and several small swivel guns AFAIK. They were however both roughly the same size. If they were still selling it now I think they would have a case to answer under the Trades Descriptions Act! You could always remove any guns/ports and build it as the collier Bethia, reputedly built in 1784 at Blaydes Yard in Hull, Yorkshire, because that is what she was until the Navy bought her!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Back in the day, Revell pulled a number stunts like this. For some reason, they seemed to act as if no one knew the difference- “all sailing ships look alike”???

They didn’t take a spitfire mold, square off the wingtips, change the decals and box art, and market it as a Bf-109– but they seemed to have no qualms about doing something like that with their ship kits!

The “Bounty as a Beagle” kit is probably their most infamous example, but others include:

- WW1 commerce raider Seeadler:  The Eagle/Gorch Fock kit with square yards on the mizzen and a few deck guns.

-Clipper Ship Stag Hound: The old Flying Cloud  with a non-sensical and totally made up change to the foredeck - delete the raised foc’sle and  add another deck house forward….

- Thermopylae:   Cutty Sark kit with a few minor changes.

• Thanks 1