H-1227 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner +++CANCELLED+++

Hello all, this will be my entry into this Group Build:

DSCN4981

The instructions say it was copyright Revell 1959, but there is a date stamp on the moulding which says 1988. This was a re-issue from about 2008/9 when Revell were celebrating 50 Years. I will post photographs of the box contents later, that will give you time to locate some sunglasses for the very bright green plastic most of it is moulded in!

I bought this from Kingkit quite a long time ago as I was going through a bit of a nostalgia trip. A long time ago, I lived in Aden and as a youngster I had a lot of Corgi, Dinky and Matchbox cars. One of those was a Ford Fairlane and it was amazing, because if you pressed down on the front left or right on the bonnet, the wheels turned in that direction! It is incredible what pleases a 7-year-old mind!

Anyway, back to the then present. At my local Model Club we had a member who was into his car models and was always bringing them along, and that prompted me to see if I could do a car too. I checked online and found two Fairlanes, one was a '64, and the other was this '59. I ended up buying both! The '64 got built quite some time ago (I will see if I have a picture) but this one was reduced to the stash. I had bought some Halfords sprays ready for this, I wonder if they will still work...

I always find Group Builds to be a great inspiration, and nearly always leave my more important builds (or challenging ones) to the GB's as there is always that extra spur to get them done. This build could quite easily have gone into the 'Not My Comfort Zone' GB. Anyway, enough of that, I am really looking forward to the start of this.

Al the best everyone with your builds,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Edited Title
  • Like 15

31 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

This is going to be something very special

Thanks for that, but I am not too sure about that but we will see.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome Ray always nice to see a Fairlane, especially a drop head coupe. Its not the most common car built, usually people don't do a Luxury type. Do you have a color palette yet ? I kind of liked the charcoal/pink or teal combos of the era. 

The cans I have got are Ford Meadow Green and Ford Diamond White. Whether they are right or not I am not sure but it is a combo that appeals to me. I had not thought about pink but you never know.

Cheers, Ray

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

This is going to be something very special

This is going to be somethin' else, quoting the late great Eddie Cochran:

"Hey, look a-there, across the street
There's a car made just for me
To own that car would be a luxury
A brand new convertible is outa my class
But that can't stop me from athinkin' to myself
That car's fine lookin' man, it's something else

I'll buy that car that I been wanting so
Get me that girl and we'll go ridin' around
We'll look real sharp with the flight top down
I keep right on a-dreamin' and a-thinkin' to myself
When it all comes true man, wow, that's something else

Look a-there, what's all this
Never thought I'd do this before
But here I am a-knockin' on her door
My car's out front and it's all mine
Just a forty-one Ford, not a fifty-nine"

R.I.P. Eddie the greatest. Now go and listen to him! V-P

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Ray S said:

The cans I have got are Ford Meadow Green and Ford Diamond White. Whether they are right or not I am not sure but it is a combo that appeals to me. I had not thought about pink but you never know.

Great choices looking forward to seeing this one get built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Fabulous.  I'm looking forward to seeing that roof retract :coolio:

Me too!

12 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's a great choice Ray, I've never seen one of these before, that's a proper American ride!

Yep, if anything screams 'AMERICAN!' to me it is this one, probably due to my upbringing and that was the only American car I had as a toy.

I will try and get the box contents photographed today, and I have also found the photo I took of the '64 Fairlane so must scan it.

Ray

• Like 1

Looking forward to this.  I had the 1988 reissue ("Skip's Fiesta Drive-in" boxing), but never built it because one of the body sides was badly warped. 😕   It was originally issued in 1959, but other than the multi piece body I think it holds up well.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, Six97s said:

Looking forward to this.  I had the 1988 reissue ("Skip's Fiesta Drive-in" boxing), but never built it because one of the body sides was badly warped. 😕   It was originally issued in 1959, but other than the multi piece body I think it holds up well.

Thanks for the warning @Six97s! I did a rapid check of my kit and - be still my beating heart, it was okay! Phew.

Here are the parts included in this Anniversary boxing (please note - wear sunglasses!)

DSCN8840

The parts are quite crisply moulded for 1959 and are wearing better than me. There is very little flash. I doubt if I will use the pilot and the navigator.

DSCN8841

There is plenty of gleaming chrome. I wonder what colour plastic is underneath! I may well do a first for me, and see if I can get rid of the plating and use paint instead. The four tyres (tires?) are rubber or vinyl and there are five sets of white walls. Glazing is very clear.

DSCN8842

The instructions are classic too. We even have a list of parts and there appropriate names for what they are! An education.

All in all, I am really looking forward to this. I am very much a non-car type of person. To me, a car is what you use to get from A to B and the rest is inconsequential, but I will want to get this pretty close to being 'good' if you know what I mean. I will be having a look online to see if I can find some help in the engine department and for the cockpit, but if any of you see I am about to make a monumental 'oops', (or have made one!), please do not hesitate to point it out to me.

This is the '64 Fairlane I did a few years ago (well, August to September 2012):

Revell 64 Ford Fairlane (2)

Not long to go now before we can start!

All the best with your builds, it looks to be off to a great start already.

Ray

• Like 3

That green isn't too bad...  mine was moulded in a horrible peachy colour.   I think I was just unlucky with the body warpage on that one, I've built the similarly tooled '57 Ranchero and '60 (actually '59) Corvette without any issues.  I might lookout for another one of these. :)

• Like 1

• Ray S changed the title to H-1227 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner +++CANCELLED+++

Hello all, I am sorry to say that this build is now off for the foreseable future. I am very sorry about this, other things have cropped up.

Good luck everyone with your builds though,

Ray

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Thanks for the replies all.

I will build it sometime in the future and do a WIP in the vehicle section, as I feel I will need some advice, especially for the interior.

The situation that cropped up has resolved in a very good way (illness of a family member) and he has recovered, but I am helping out quite a bit for them and that is limiting bench time, but is obviously a priority. I do have a project in progress in Maritime at the moment, but only seem to get a spare half hour every now and again.

Otherwise all is good.

Thanks again all, good luck with all your builds,

Ray

• Like 4