94 Squadron Markings on February 15, 1942

Ingo Ritz

I am researching  94 Squadron Western Desert Air Force markings from February to May 1942.  During this brief period the unit was equipped with Curtiss Kittyhawks, with squadron codes FZ (later changed to GO).  Apparently the Squadron also employed a red and white checker board pattern on the rudder of some aircraft.  The unit lost its Squadron Leader, "Imshi" Morgan, and three other pilots on its first operational sortie with the Kittyhawks on February 15, 1942.  

Here is a photo purported to be 94 Squadron with their Kittyhawks in early February 1942.  The aircraft lack their squadron codes and appear fairly pristine.

spacer.png

Here is a later photo show an aircraft (AK739) with the squadron codes applied.

spacer.png

And a third image showing the same machine with the checkerboard tail marking.

spacer.png

It is likely the aircraft were marked with the red and white checkerboard rudders on their first operation sortie because the Germans speculated that the unit was possibly Polish.  I think, but can't confirm, that the aircraft would have also had the squadron codes applied for this mission.  Can anyone provide any confirmation on these details and the individual aircraft codes or serials?

Edited by Ingo Ritz

Here are two shots of another 94 Squadron Kittyhawk, marked FZ B, being examined by German soldiers.  Fabric has been removed from the rudder where the checkerboard marking would have been applied, apparently for a souvenir.  I have no information on the serial or history of this aircraft, but I wonder if it was one of the aircraft lost on the disastrous first combat mission.

spacer.png

spacer.png

If I understand things correctly the code letters were changed from FZ to GO in June 1942, after the removal of the Kittyhawks and arrival of Hurricanes.  On 11 May the squadron began handing over its Kittyhawks to 2 SAAF squadron, on the 12th 8 pilots were posted to 260 squadron, on the 14th the squadron began its withdrawal.  It ended up at El Gamil on 1st June, a new draft of pilots arrived on the 15th, Hurricane operations began on the 25th.  The squadron records use serial numbers, not code letters.

Flight Sergeant Phillips is recorded as flying AK759 in the February to April 1942 period, he was the only survivor of the first mission.

According to Christopher Shores et. al. 94 squadron AK739 with letter R was shot down by a Bf109 on 26 March 1942, Sgt. V.A. Laurence killed.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search 94 Squadron Records of Events give serial numbers.

• Thanks 2

Using the link provided by Geoffrey I found this...

52163739183_8a26d449dd_h.jpg

This is 94 Squadron's Operations Record Book Entry for February 2, 1942.  The entries at the far left are aircraft serial numbers.  The remaining columns are Crew, Duty, Time Up, Time Down, and Details.  According to the ORB nine Kittyhawks departed at 1645.  S/L Mason was flying AK 807 and is listed as missing.  Also missing were Sgt. Belcher (AK 601), Sgt. Weightman (AK 733), and P/O Marshall (AK 858). 

The Air Ministry Casualty report entry provides conflicting information regarding Mason's assigned aircraft...

Squadron Leader E M Mason: killed; Kittyhawk AK767, 94 Squadron; aerial combat over Martuba, Libya, 15 February 1942

But there is another casualty report for AK 767 in late May...

Pilot Officer T Hindle: missing believed killed; Kittyhawk AK767, 260 Squadron, aircraft failed to return from an operational flight, 31 May 1942.

Mason's aircraft was destroyed on the mission so it can't be involved in both incidents.  At this point I believe the best evidence is that Mason was assigned AK 807.

I found another causality report for AK 807 dated one month after the Martuba raid...

Sergeant M D Rochfort (RCAF): killed; Kittyhawk AK807, 94 Squadron; aircraft accident near Landing Ground 115, Egypt, 15 March 1942

Again AK 807 could not have been destroyed in the Martuba Mission and later be involved in a landing accident.  Something is amiss.

260 squadron records do not list code letters or serials.  They do list personnel casualties.  Serial registers say AK767 SOC 15 June 1942, consistent with an end May loss.

94 Squadron records do have Sergeant M D Rochfort (RCAF): killed in AK807 on 15 March 1942.  According to squadron records and Shores et. al. the following four 94 squadron Kittyhawks were lost on 15 February 1942, while the fates according to the Serial Registers are
AK807 SOC 23 March 1942 (compatible with a loss on 15 March).
AK858 Cat E 1 July 1943
AK601 216 Squadron 1 March 1942, Q138 Brought back on charge.
AK733 94 Squadron, SOC 1 March 1942, Q138

Reconciliation of the above requires 3 of the 4 aircraft reported lost on 15 February to have been recovered relatively intact, even though all the pilots were killed, or a number of aircraft are misidentified.  Shores et. al. states the 4 were trying to strafe Martuba airfield, then close to the front line, and all were shot down by the same Luftwaffe pilot.

Regarding the code letters the squadron records indicate it still had some Kittyhawks in early June 1942, presumably the photograph dates from then.

Thanks again Geoffrey, your insights are extremely helpful!

The German tank officer who was a witness to the 15 February event saw a group of British fighters overfly his position westbound.   He subsequently observed them returning eastbound individually.  The witness stated that he observed a Bf 109 engage and shoot down two fighters that crashed in flames, followed by a third which cartwheeled into the desert but did not burn, and a forth which also crashed in flames. 

The Bf 109 pilot, Otto Schulz, stated the Kittyhawks took no evasive action and concluded that the British pilots were novices.  S/L Mason was no novice and had made a reputation as a skilled and aggressive fighter pilot.

I would speculate that S/L Mason would likely be the last to leave Martuba which would suggest that he would have been the first one attacked by the Schulz.  So if Mason's Kittyhawk was the first shot down it would be one of the aircraft that crashed in flames, according to the witness.  I also recall reading that 10 days later British troops found Mason and his Kittyhawk and buried him nearby.

On 15 February 1942 Ofw. Otto Schulz of 4./JG 27 claimed 5 P-40, time and location
17.45 S.E. Martūba
17.46 S.E. Martūba
17.47 S.E. Martūba
17.50 westl. Ain-el-Gazala
17.55 30-35 km. S.E. Martûba: no height
the final claim was not accepted.  Given the P-40 were moving at 4 miles a minute or more the aircraft must have been circling or the tank commander was up high.    Shores et. al. say the 5th P-40 was from 112 squadron, the pilot was wounded, the take off time for the 94 squadron aircraft was 16.45 by British clocks, sunset on 15 February 1942 was around 17.17 local time.  Not sure what time zone the Luftwaffe clocks were in.  Britain was on summer time, +1 hours versus GMT, not sure what they were using in Libya but the times call into question the amount of light.

• Like 1

I have to wonder if the British intent was to attack at sunset/twilight to put the Germans at a tactical disadvantage?  My understanding that the raid on the airfield was a failure, perhaps the amount of light was a contributing factor.

Is there is a surviving account by Otto Schulz?

Edited by Ingo Ritz

Here is a shot of GO-L.  Flight Sergeant Edwards claimed a Bf 109 while flying this machine on 23 March 1942 .  ORB shows Edwards assigned AK 858 that date. 

Did the letter identifying the aircraft stay the same after the squadron code changed?  In other words would this aircraft have been marked FZ-L before the squadron code changed?

spacer.png

Edited by Ingo Ritz

AK739 was the subject in the Canadian Aces decals released by IPMS Canada back in 2001.  This machine was shot down 26 March 1942 with the loss of Sergeant Laurence as noted above. At some point this aircraft had the red/white checkerboard applied to the rudder.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ingo

Sorry I totally missed this one, I'll address what I can off the top of my head and reply with the remainder tonight.

SQN Codes - The SQN codes were changed in Feb 1942 (from GO to FZ) and late April 1942 from FZ back GO, other squadrons changed at a similar time 260 going from MF to HS, 450 from DJ to OK, 2SAAF from TA to DB and 4SAAF from DX to KJ. The aircraft kept their individual letters, and you'll note there's a slight mismatch with the SQN code and aircraft letter in sizing (this is more noticeable with other Squadrons).  They remained with GO when they went back to Hurricanes

Aircraft serials - I'll be plainly honest 94 SQN record keeping for serials can be at times somewhat suspect,  Both the P4 Cas file and the Form 540 for the Squadron show AK807 being flown by SGT Rochfort when it crashed on the 15th March 1942, yet shows Imshi Masons aircraft as AK807 on the 15th Feb when it was lost, nice and confusing, the P4 (Cas) file for Mason shows AK767 - more to follow in the next post

Checkerboard markings - Yes these existed, although not on all aircraft. You'll need to find a photo to match the airframe you're interested in, now that said, photos are at a premium on 94SQN (and cost your first born when they turn up).

Final note for now, if the aircraft came down relatively intact, then they would have to have landed within allied lines to have come back on strength in the time frame quoted for AK807/601/858 - as the area they were lost was in German hands until post Oct 1942, now this works for AK858 but not for the others.

Buz

• Like 3

As promised the next installment - Kittyhawks in service with 94SQN is a bit of a mess, in the 10 weeks they had the type they went through 53 aircraft or the equivalent of almost 3 squadrons worth (which even give losses being felt at the time its a fair number) - so rather than give all 53 I'll concentrate on the aircraft known to have been at the Squadron during early Feb 1942 and a few other serials mentioned above (Aircraft serials in Bold are mentioned on the 541 for 15th Feb 42) - and please forgive me with the squadron titles, I know they are wrong I'm just trying to make it easier to read). Final point - I have very few code letters for the Squadron, it's be very hard to get any information on that side of things.

AK601 - (ukn) - Reported as Belcher's aircraft 15th Feb 42 - disappears from records when soc 1/3/42 - this lasts until 26th Jul 42 when its test flown at 107MU, before being issued to 250 SQN, then used by 239 WG TF, final information with RAF is being test flown Dec 1942 at 1 (ME) ARU before being transferred to Turkey  - SGT Belcher's aircraft on the 15th Feb as per the 541 - This may be the aircraft reported downed 35km SE of Martubah which would put it over the front lines of the time or very close to them.

AK642 - (T) - with the SQN early Feb until 15th Feb but reappears 22th Apr, - Damaged on ops 15th Feb?

AK684 - (ukn) - Last noted in 94 ORB 19th Mar 42, possibly to repair issued to 3 (RAAF) Squadron - Administrative S.O.C date 1/1/47

AK711 - (ukn) - Damaged when u/c collapsed at Gasr-el-Arid on non operational flight 19th Feb 42 - repaired and issued to 4 (SAAF) Squadron

AK723 - (ukn) - I have this as PLTOFF J Marshall's aircraft - no other aircraft (based on my research) fits - A.M Form 78 states Missing Cat E F.B 15.2.42 then S.O.C 16.2.42

AK725 - (ukn) - Damaged when it suffered an in flight engine fire and was force landed 21th Mar - repaired, issued to 4 (SAAF) Squadron

AK729 - (ukn) - Damaged Cat II at Gasr-El-Arid due to Hydraulics issues and force landed 21th Feb 42 - repaired, issued to 450 Squadron

AK733 - (ukn) - in 94 SQN records until 15th Feb 42, then soc 1st Mar 42 - I have this as SGT Weightman's aircraft as per the 541 for the 15th Feb

AK738 - (ukn) - Damaged when pilot selected undercarriage instead of flaps up at El Adem 7/4/42 - repaired and issued to 4 (SAAF) Squadron

AK740 - (ukn) - Damaged when it landed with U/C up at Gambut 25/2/42 - repaired and issued to 450 Squadron

AK741 - (ukn) - Damaged when engine cut and aircraft landed wheels up 1 Miles East of El Adem 19/4/42 - repaired and issued to 4 (SAAF) Squadron

AK746 - (I) - Possibly on strength 15th Feb, but stayed until 3rd Apr 1942

AK754 - (ukn) - Aircraft damaged when it swung on landing at El Adem 15/2/42 non operational flight - Pilot was SGT R Stone 1258632

AK759 - (R) - Bit of confusion with this one, but happy it wasn't lost on the 15th Feb - I think the two photos are the same aircraft, one pre accident in Feb 1942 and one post accident in Apr 42. Squadron over painted the checkers by this time.

AK767 - (ukn) - Soc 15/4/42, - I have this as Imshi's aircraft - A.M Form 78 states Missing Cat E F.B 15.2.42 then S.O.C 15.4.42

AK807 - (ukn) - Form 540, P4 (CAS) file and AM1180 all state AK807 for the accident on the 15th Mar - Sgt. M.D.Rochfort's aircraft - A.M. Form states Cat E F.A.17.3.42 then S.O.C 23.3.42

AK858 - (ukn) - Damaged in landing accident 20/3/42 - I doubt it was coded GO-L at the time, maybe FZ-L (codes not changing until late Apr 1942 but I have a different letter for this one.

17 aircraft above plus one that suffered an accident of the 14th Feb (AK586) constitutes a full squadron complement of 16 I.E and 2 I.R.

AK739 - I believe this is a replacement for those lost on the 15th Feb, appears in the squadron records on the 21st Feb - aircraft lost 26th Mar 42 with SGT Laurence,  A.M Form 78 confirmed loss as 94 SQN Missing Cat E F.B 26.3.42 (supposed to be coded R but doubt the squadron had two R's at the time)

AK964 - (B) - Replacement for losses on the 15th Feb - Lost with FLTLT Hawthorn 23 Mar 42- This may be the FZ-B shown in the photos - my understanding is FLTLT Hawthorn survived this and looking at the aircraft that would fit

Pilot Officer T Hindle: missing believed killed; Kittyhawk AK767, 260 Squadron, aircraft failed to return from an operational flight, 31 May 1942. - I have Hindle's aircraft as AK836 - A.M Form states 260 SQN Cat E F.B 31.5.42 then S.O.C (no date given)

Finally the other mentioned aircraft from 112SQN - this was likely AK653 being flown by Sgt McQueen which was reported Cat B in F.B 15.2.42

References: Various A.M. Form78 (matching serials above), A.M Form 1180 (matching serials above), A.M Form 540/541 94 Squadron, Logbook entries, photos and plenty of Grey hairs......

Buz - now heading for a Coffee break after all the typing.

Edited by Buz
  • Like 3

Not sure if this adds anything valuable, but from the 2000 edition of Air Britain's AA/AZ book (which I think was compiled from yet a different source):

- AK739, missing, presumed shot down by Bf 109s near Gazala, 21. (sic)3.42

- AK759, soc 1.6.43

- AK767, missing 15.2.42 [only ME indicated, not 94 as with the others]

- AK807, stalled and spun into ground during practice dogfight 20m SE of LG.115, 15.3.42

• Thanks 1