Educational Group Build Question

masterKamera

Has there been a "build along" group build?  I mean an educational one where one gifted person takes folks along from start to finish to do a detailed build on a simple kit.. 

or best way to say it 

every one buys an "easy low cost but good quality kit" , and then the educator simply goes along and builds it step by step and everyone else gets to follow and learn how to detail that lil kit into something better then out of box..

Not that Im aware of ? The closest I can think of were the two single type builds sponsored by a hobby shop. Where everyone was under rules to use the exact same kit. The 1st was the Airfix 1/72 P-51D the 2nd I believe was the Revell 1/72 Hawk trainer jet. Same kit but you could do anything to it. You of course could propose such a group build and see how it develops ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

One of the car guys here started a pretty comprehensive 'how-to' on modifying the old Airfix E-type into one of the lightweight cars. Despite much initial enthusiasm, no-one really followed along or commented, and he quit, not surprisingly. I'd say that anything similar would most likely suffer the same fate. But you're welcome to try. 

It’s a nice idea but I don’t reckon that many of us would see it through.

It might be better to propose a series of tutorials, assign them to individual modellers and then collate them into a forum, eg basic assembly, interior detailing, filling/sanding, basic airbrush technique, weathering, molding, casting etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

It’s a nice idea but I don’t reckon that many of us would see it through.

It might be better to propose a series of tutorials, assign them to individual modellers and then collate them into a forum, eg basic assembly, interior detailing, filling/sanding, basic airbrush technique, weathering, molding, casting etc

But thats a cause of another problem.   Its easy to see user99 do a panel wash on his instrument panel and be treated like a god,  or see how user357 does a panel wash and homemade turnbuckles on his plane, but its not easy to tie things together onto a different model

16 hours ago, masterKamera said:

Has there been a "build along" group build?  I mean an educational one where one gifted person takes folks along from start to finish to do a detailed build on a simple kit.. 

or best way to say it 

every one buys an "easy low cost but good quality kit" , and then the educator simply goes along and builds it step by step and everyone else gets to follow and learn how to detail that lil kit into something better then out of box..

isnt that on youtube already?

4 hours ago, masterKamera said:

Its easy to see user99 do a panel wash on his instrument panel and be treated like a god,  or see how user357 does a panel wash and homemade turnbuckles on his plane, but its not easy to tie things together onto a different model

Indeed, I think you would need to plan out the tutorials quite precisely snd probably make a series of such progress ing the same kit along.

On your first point I’d love to do a single kit GB and see the variety of approaches, techniques and end results. It would need to be something readily accessible like say an Airfix spitfire ( hint hint I have.a MKIa in the stash :) ). But could be a bit of fun.

Edited by Marklo

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Indeed, I think you would need to plan out the tutorials quite precisely snd probably make a series of such progress ing the same kit along.

On your first point I’d love to do a single kit GB and see the variety of approaches, techniques and end results. It would need to be something readily accessible like say an Airfix spitfire ( hint hint I have.a MKIa in the stash :) ). But could be a bit of fun.

thats what i am trying to find, in essence a build log with actual explanation and detail of what is actually done.. 

its nice to read "then i applied a wash to the cockpit instrument panel, painted,,, etc..." then see a finished product, but id actually like the steps in between

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 5:28 AM, masterKamera said:

its nice to read "then i applied a wash to the cockpit instrument panel, painted,,, etc..." then see a finished product, but id actually like the steps in between

I've done that on my WIPs and GBs from time to time. It's very time consuming and while I've been thanked by a few kind people, the effort outweighs the reward after a while. 

And another thing, I'm coming over to the idea that modelling is more satisfying when you experiment and play with stuff and develop your own ways of doing stuff instead of copying some 'guru' who's done it all for you.  

For these reasons, I don't think an educational approach will ever produce a fun, satisfying or useful GB. 👎