Testors PT 20 Ryan

masterKamera

Getting some unopened kits via ebay, it should be fun. 

The right Tamiya paints to use, i have 

x-11 chrome silver

xf-16 flat aluminum

x-10 gunmetal

Not sure what one is the "idealistic" one for the body, but im thinking that xf-59 desert yellow isnt yellow enough for the wings?

I plan two build both versions of the kit,,  land and float plane. 

1 hour ago, masterKamera said:

im thinking that xf-59 desert yellow isnt yellow enough for the wings?

If you don't want to mix, or not a color obsessive*,  just use Yellow, XF-3,  or the gloss yellow. Bear in mind yellow is a PITA to paint if you don't airbrush,

* AFAIK Tamiya XF-3 yellow is a decent yellow for your purposes

possibly it may need to tiny amount of red if you are a color obsessive.  I'd have to do some digging, USN pre war colors are not an area I am that knowledgeable about.

@Casey maybe able to help.

HTH

• Like 1

Werent those painted in yellow lead chromate?

I also have Monogram 1908-1941 color samples. Yellow 4, Identification Yellow 48  and Orange Yellow (A-N). None are even close to XF-59.

Yellow is a primary pigment.

Edited by Casey

10 minutes ago, masterKamera said:

then whats the best yellow to get from tamiya? as long as i can use the chrome silver i dont mind getting a tiny bit of yellow, but this modelling paint really gets me going. 

Like imitation bacon.

I'd go for X8 or XF3, like @Troy Smith mentioned. They are primary yellows gloss/matte.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

this modelling paint really gets me going. 

Like imitation bacon.

You mean yellow?

I could talk for hours about yellow pigments :) And that all pigments (well, except ideal white and ideal black of course) must be transparent by pure physical properties.

Explanation: To be a pigment or dye that is not perfect black (fully absorbing light) or perfect white (fully scattering the light) it must absorb light over some wavelengths and pass others. It means paint has to be transparent in some certain wavelengths range to even be a paint of any color.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

You mean yellow?

I could talk for hours about yellow pigments :) And that all pigments (well, except ideal white and ideal black of course) must be transparent by pure physical properties.

Explanation: To be a pigment or dye that is not perfect black (fully absorbing light) or perfect white (fully scattering the light) it must absorb light over some wavelengths and pass others. It means paint has to be transparent in some certain wavelengths range to even be a paint of any color.

please lets not get started on what black is in the flower world... 

then when the carrier agent dissipates the color changes again.. sadly..   

Done some more research on the kit.... seems its a simple build, the complexity comes from the minimal rigging, and painting the included water landing base if you do the sea plane version. 

See bits of a company called Fisher that made a 1/32 scale kit. 

Seen yellow as the standard wing color, but white and plain silver/aluminum fuselage covering.

If I read Archer ("Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide") correctly, either Yellow No. 4 or A/N Orange Yellow would have been the shade(s) used. The No. 4 chip is actually deeper and slightly more orange than that of the Orange Yellow. If I were doing it with Tamiya paints, I'd get hold of either X8 or XF-3, as Casey advises, and I'd add a VERY small amount of red. Doesn't take much.

• Thanks 1

If it is one of the releases that includes Netherlands East Indies markings here are some overall silver, and silver and dark green, schemesHERE

• Like 1

the pt-20kit that arrived today says the floatplane is intended to be a nederlands airforce stm-s2 float plane.. 

the kit box photos show it as overall silver wings and body, with off grey floats... but the vitachrome corporation decals only include the orange triangles and plane number for the dutch, the orange rudder is a "get your own paint on it" if you want the box paint scheme in chrome silver delivery attire. 

Still the green is an itneresting one to pursue.. 

Here is nice set of schemes

http://zarkovmodels.com/images/products/991/image01.jpg

BTWLookng on the photos of radial engine Ryan (PT22 Recruit I think) sometimes it has a straight wing (I mean with some dihedral, but not swept)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjKUs3nOhemv624WPDDrK 

but sometime it has a bit swept wings

1148215-bigthumbnail.jpg

Do they (swep or straigh wing) the same fuselage or different?

How this swept wing is similar to the straight one, is it just a change of angle?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

funny thing is, the instructions say to use chrome yellow for the US  wings,, but that color is discontinuted by testors, and the box art doesnt match with what shows up in photos for the paint.. 

SO im deffinitely going to need to get more paint,, yippee,  the yellow with red is it.. 

On the paint job, the box art only has a black section in front of the front cockpit, while that photo above shows black paint in front of both cockpits..

On 6/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, JWM said:

Do they (swep or straigh wing) the same fuselage or different?

How this swept wing is similar to the straight one, is it just a change of angle?

Regards

J-W

To my understanding, the PT-22 variant had about 4 degrees of sweepback to the wings. The visually similar (but usually seen with landing gear fairings) PT-20 and PT-21 variants had straight wings.

Edited by bjohns5
  • Thanks 1

decided on going with the xf3. 

On the overall float plane scheme,  i think ill go with the wartime camo and use tamiya xf-26 deep green for the body. 

reasoning is that its more in correlation with olive drab being painted on that bright and shiny as h### chrome silver,  without having to get olive drab and painting it over chrome silver. 

There are photos and drawings, but I can't insert them. Who can tell me why I can't? Regarding the aircraft. The PT-16 had straight wings, and the PT-21/22 Recruit did have a sweep of several degrees. The float version of 48 pieces of ST-MS2 was acquired by the Dutch Fleet Aviation.

You can't insert images here because you can't insert images here. The hosts made the decision when the forum was set up to save storage space, bandwidth and money by only allowing links to images stored elsewhere. Therefore, you need to host your photos on another site, many here use Flickr and similar, and then link to them. 

Read here for how-to 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008824-how-do-i-post-pictures/

and in that same FAQ section is a list of hosting sites that may be useful. 

Also, be careful that you own the copyright of what you post or have the copyright owner's permission to use it, or that the copyright has expired/never existed before you post. If not, there's every chance that your post will be deleted.

HTH