Monogram #7575 1/48 Devastator TBD-1 -- FINISHED!

A very impressive result!

What a beautiful model.

Congrats.

JR

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Howdy folks! Been some time since I last posted but I've been hard at work despite life getting in the way.

Found this thread and have found it to be a goldmine for ideas and tips around technique, historical details and simply inspiration as I build my own TBD-1 Devastator.

Quick question: Did you follow the kit instructions and paint the feathered fuselage according to the FS codes? I am using all Tamiya paints and doing just that.  Oh and that IP installation almost, almost saw me smashing the poor bird after making attempt after attempt after attempt and failed to get it locked in place. Admittedly, I have a few more levers, a fire extinguisher in front of the control stick, electrical plumbing and other odds and bits stuck in the cockpit but man was that tough!!

This build and thread is very inspirational and I hope to have some pics of my own build up soon.

Cheers!

Edited by TK501
third grade level english grammar cleanup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, TK501 said:

Quick question: Did you follow the kit instructions and paint the feathered fuselage according to the FS codes? I am using all Tamiya paints and doing just that.  Oh and that IP installation almost, almost saw me smashing the poor bird after attempt after attempt failed to get it locked in place. Admittedly, I have a few more levers, a fir extinguisher in from of the control stick, electrical plumbing and other odds and bits stuck in the cockpit but man was that tough!!

From what I could tell, the kit's colors are correct for a pre-war aircraft.  I followed few of the kit's color callouts for my VT-8 aircraft, relying instead on contemporaneous photos. The interior color was hardest as I first used interior green but then convinced myself that Bronze Green was the color I wanted.

I do know how you feel about trying to get that IP in place! I hope you have masks for the canopy, they really helped.