Tim's 1/72 Draken - COMPLETED

Joining with this Saab Draken kit.

According to Scalemates it's the Revell 1957 kit.  Cleaned up and without the pilot and seat.

00-Mister-Craft-Draken.jpg

Really basic - as expected.

02-parts.jpg

Given to me by a Jet Age colleague to build as this Ghost Tail option.

Great quality decals.

03-ghost-option.jpg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice my favorite SAAB Jet. I was looking under Revell and it doesn't come up with Mistercraft. Yet you look up Mistercraft and it links to Revell. 

I came close to pulling this build yesterday.  The instructions don't match. 

MisterCraft has redrawn them, with new locating lugs - which don't match the parts.  

The parts and locating lugs do match the Revell instructions that I found,   I hope that's close enough.

The pilot and seat has been lost along the way, so those from my spares.

• Like 2

I'm sure you can do it; I'm battling with Valom instructions and no locating lugs on a Viking in the Jubilee GB and you're a far better and patient modeller than me. Come on, we will not be beaten by styrene Or if we are, there's always the rematch that is KUTA, straight after this GB finishes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well a bit more prep, before I start assembling. 

Pilot and seat are painted.  A bulkhead to rear of the cockpit, and some ballast lead in the nose. 

07-prep.jpg

A very primitive kit - this one doesn't even have the cannons.  Raised detail.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

There's something about a Draken.Be wary of the decals,my experience of Mistercraft decals is disintegration on contact with water.It's a shame because some of their sheets are splendid looking.

Thanks for the warning about the decals.  Forewarned and all that.   In the meantime the airframe is being pulled together.

10-Airframe.jpg

• Like 5

Good progress Tim,take care I've been burned twice with their decal's look great on the sheet but can be troublesome hopefully not in this case.

maybe try the Swedish spares.

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

impressive Draken!

Hard not to love such a scheme.

Looking forward to see the finished beauty.

JR

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking stunning, I could almost be tempted. :)

Steve.

Don't do it Steve!

Undercarriage fitted.

50-undercarriage.jpg

A mismatch of parts looking nothing like the instructions - or the real thing, AND different part-numbers.
Also missing is the tail-bumper wheels.
In the absence of anything to positively locate any weapons pylons, I'm leaving this model clean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:05 AM, Mjwomack said:

I'm sure you can do it; I'm battling with Valom instructions and no locating lugs on a Viking in the Jubilee GB and you're a far better and patient modeller than me. Come on, we will not be beaten by styrene Or if we are, there's always the rematch that is KUTA, straight after this GB finishes

I never had any doubt that I could tame this viking,  more doubts (at the time) about its provenience.

• Like 2