***finished***Revellgram Tigercat

Not really familiar with monogram kits, think I’ve only built two not sure if either are old enough to be eligible (1/72 b-1b and f-4j) but got this in this stash last year just for this, though had been after the kit anyway for years. Big fan of the type given it was on the uk warbird circuit when I was kid so I saw it loads. maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 11

Love me a Tigercat, it just oozes attitude, and like you I remember it on the Warbird circuit. Led me to do the Monogram one a few years ago, from what I remember there's an 'impressive' lack of interior detail for the cockpit never mind the wheel bays. I didn't fret about it, just marvelled at the contrast between the sleek body and no nonsense nacelles out on the wings.

I'm going to enjoy this

• Like 2

More of a Tiger Shark to my eyes, it's so sleek and brutal looking. I can't see a cat anywhere. 

Regardless of name, it's a beautiful looking plane and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

• Like 2

Hi Stu,

The Tigercat is one of the very few Monogram kits I have ever built, the only others I can remember being the B-52D, B-36 and maybe a P-51. As mentioned earlier the cockpit is rather empty and in the original version came with a paper IP to cut out and glue on - looks like it still does in the Revell version even though they have changed the decs. Be prepared to put a LOT of weight in it if building wheels down, though on past form I suspect yours will be wheels up! Even the real thing had a problem and I have seen photos of the tail propped up by an oil drum until it was fuelled up and the ammunition in place.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I dug out an original, still shrink wrapped version today. It's a very good looking box.

IMG-3809.jpg

I've had the kit a few years now. What I didn't notice until today is that the artist painted the plane inverted. Monogram ran the picture upside down on the box.

IMG-3810.jpg

• Like 6

Cheers all, Indeed it will be in flight, I’ve yet to build anything gear down, indeed my own not in flight build (Sunderland) was only post hoc as I could not fathom a way to get it to remain on a stand of its own accord. Can’t wait to start this tommorow hoping for a quick finish maybe when being one of the first to make the gallery. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Seems I’ve failed in my quest to be first not least as a fellow entrant has been rapid out of the blocks but also as I’m out of primer and used some enamel spray I had lying around which the internet say probably needs 48 hours to cure so I shall be safe and wait. D7347-F30-16-E1-4502-946-B-100-A1-B43-A3

• Like 6

Hoping to have it decal ready yesterday but problems with the nacelle undersides and then running out of Sea Blue this morning have scuppered it, will sloop out before it gets too hot to the shop in the hope they have a pot as amazon don't have it in stock for prime delivery....  edit and the didn’t have the paint :(0-DE84-D6-E-2-E5-A-4051-B250-C6-C0-C84-C

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Decals on, didn’t bother with the stencils as it’s was white stencils on white cardboard and it they easily vanished, revell have this one with a Matt black nose panel I’d missed but found that aircraft 478 from the same unit is always depicted without the panel and the red stripes connecting so did that 9690-BD4-E-76-D8-4-A6-B-A28-B-5-C7723-FA

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

As awesome as I expected. But is there something deep and meaningful about it being atop the stove 🤔🤷

Alas no, just the only place currently with a light on downstairs where I’ve been stuck working due to the heat. Cheers anyway

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

As awesome as I expected. But is there something deep and meaningful about it being atop the stove 🤔🤷

I believe some Tigercats were used to water-bomb forest fires. Perhaps @PhantomBigStu intends test the plane's survivability to heat. 😲 Or perhaps not. 🙂

Seriously, she looks great. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to ***finished***Revellgram Tigercat