Bell Airacobra probably 1965 1:72

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with dodgy decals! fortunately my spider senses were tingling and I tested the soviet ones on a scrap fuselage and they are SOO brittle; this last little bit is going to be super exciting.

31 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

One step forward and all that. Decals are completely unusable so pondering my next step 

Thats not good, Im sure someone has P-39 decals in their spares maybe purlt a request in wanted ? If worse comes to worse I may have some but would need to check my files and let you know. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. My current thinking is to copy them, cunningly I'd not started on the American set and print them onto some blank waterslide paper that I have

I don't think it's illegal because for private use on a kit that I completely own 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

By hook or by crook, I'll be in the gallery tonight! As everyone else knows, you can't home print a white decal so it won't have Z-38 on the nose- I'll see if the spares wallet has anything, but I'm going in!!

• Like 2

In the end it became a case of, 'this workbench ain't big enough for the two of us', so this is now finished and in the gallery.

Decals were the last straw being as fragile as straw (not sure straw is that fragile but it should be). Eagle eyed can enjoy working out which planes were used. The nose marking and cockpit logo were off a B-17, the underwing marking from a 1:48 Mustang which is why is it so generously sized and no chance of anything for the frame number! Some of the cracked decal originals are easy to spot.

If I'd been quicker to think this through (I blame the heat), there's probably plenty of AM out there that would have solved it all in one go.

Anyhow, thanks to the hosts, now back to the Mayflower!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

By hook or by crook, I'll be in the gallery tonight! As everyone else knows, you can't home print a white decal so it won't have Z-38 on the nose- I'll see if the spares wallet has anything, but I'm going in!!

Actually you can print white decs by using white decal paper instead of clear. It is a bit more complicated but I have just printed off some Polish national insignia-

polegreen1-crop

My trick is to use a coloured background similar to the paint on the model - this is my take on "Polish Khaki". Once printed and varnished I paint round the edges carefully with the kit colour as the computer produced version is not always that close, and once on the kit I blend it in with a fine brush. I suspect other modellers have devised their own way of doing it. Use of a background colour is particularly helpful when doing letters/numbers as they can be difficult to "touch up" but if you juggle the colour on the computer you can often get something that is close enough to get away with inside the pattern.. Mostly I do this for unit badges, for example this Edelweiss for my Do-17E before adding background colour.

255-crop

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And a browse of the Big H showed some interesting Soviet options and a Portuguese set; I've never done anything Portuguese (apart from support their viniculture 😁😉). Resisting the urge to do a second one because I'm increasingly led to do a condor as there isn't one yet 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be nice to see the original Condor, having established my later moulding is not eligible. Nothing like as many parts in the early one of course and scope for some detailing, particularly in terms of the armament!

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

I have just printed off some Polish national insignia-

polegreen1-crop

Nice I don't suppose you or anyone else know where a person can find a full sheet of various sized Polish roundels like this ? I have quite a few subjects collected for my Polish Air force project and will need roundels of multiple sizes. 

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I've never done anything Portuguese (apart from support their viniculture 😁😉). Resisting the urge to do a second one

C'mon, you know you want to!  
y4m9pYP-nyveHPRUMchLTdkEs0eMdGZzeX_knBkL

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice I don't suppose you or anyone else know where a person can find a full sheet of various sized Polish roundels like this ? I have quite a few subjects collected for my Polish Air force project and will need roundels of multiple sizes. 

Depends on the scale and period. Techmod 72162 looks quite good for the period up to WWII and Hannants have them in stock, though hopefully somebody over your side of the pond will stock them too.

https://d26qn1y84zs32g.cloudfront.net/pics/TM72162.jpg?t=1551826773

If it is like their Japanese Hinomaru sheet that I have, then in order to provide a range of sizes, they only give you 2 or 4 of each size, so I ended up buying 3 I think over a period of years

If you have a decent printer and a reasonable graphics prog you could always print your own on white decal paper - resizing them is easy enough so just one "master" would do the lot.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1