Mayflower- first issued 1966, in a curious 1:83 scale

Railmatch paints are pretty good in my experience. Perhaps LNER teak for the deck or maybe you want a more "bleached/scrubbed" look such as GWR coach cream? I suspect the latter are only available in enamel.😄

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Perhaps LNER teak for the deck or maybe you want a more "bleached/scrubbed" look such as GWR coach cream? I suspect the latter are only available in enamel.😄

Certainly agree about the quality of Railmatch paints- there concrete is my favourite version. Not sure I'll be needing any of that on this build🤔

I'm sure Great Eastern Models will be more than happy to sell me both! How weathered/ bleached I'm going for is still not clear in my head. I'd go for downright dirty- it was an standard freighter that had just done an Atlantic crossing, but it's for my sister who would opt for pristine museum finish. Teak sounds the more likely.

No prizes for guessing where I'm going on Wednesday!!

Edited by Mjwomack
Remembered what I forgot!
  • Like 1

When I was much younger I went through a phase of building the "big" Airfix sailing ships - Prince, Victory, Royal Sovereign etc, and used Humbrol Hu 71 Oak for their decks which is a creamish colour. It did not look too bad though perhaps a bit light. Of course naval vessels were "bulled up" with scrubbing and "holystoning" and as you  say this was an approximately 12 year old merchant ship, so maybe the wood would be a bit darker. In those days several different woods were used - oak, pine etc and maybe teak though that was grown in the "East Indies" so less easily available -  I have no idea what would be correct here. You mentioned concrete paint and that stirred a memory - when HMS Warrior was restored, the decks had been concreted over when she was in use as a floating jetty at Pembroke Dock, so that had to be removed, and replaced by some well seasoned planking which I seem to remember had been the flooring of a drill hall somewhere and may have been teak, but I am not certain.

Pete

On 7/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, PeterB said:

the "big" Airfix sailing ships - Prince, Victory, Royal Sovereign etc

Royal Sovereign was a kit I dreamt of as a little boy- still want to fill a gap in my life. There were two in an auction recently as part of job lots. Lost my nerve and didn't bid, but with hindsight they were bargains and I could  probably have sold on Cutty Sark etc and virtually covered my costs- cash flow and all that!

On 7/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, PeterB said:

maybe teak though that was grown in the "East Indies" so less easily available -  I have no idea what would be correct here.

I''m feeling it for some LNER Teak, I could probably use up any surplus on some project along the way! The liberating thing about Mayflower is that in truth there is no accuarate information, so you can get away with anything reasonable and nobody can prove you wrong!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Royal Sovereign was a kit I dreamt of as a little boy- still want to fill a gap in my life. There were two in an auction recently as part of job lots. Lost my nerve and didn't bid, but with hindsight they were bargains and I could  probably have sold on Cutty Sark etc and virtually covered my costs- cash flow and all that!

I''m feeling it for some LNER Teak, I could probably use up any surplus on some project along the way! The liberating thing about Mayflower is that in truth there is no accuarate information, so you can get away with anything reasonable and nobody can prove you wrong!

I think Royal Sovereign was an early kit and in some ways I preferred their Prince which was rather more detailed I believe. Painting the old Sovereign is a real handful if you want to do it justice - gilded scrolls etc all over the hull I seem to remember, though maybe not quite as fiddly as the ruddy diamond/triangles all over the upper sides of the Revenge!

Go on - spoil yourself if you see one at a decent price! Somewhere I think I have a book on it "Sovereign of the Seas".

Pete

Later, 

According to Scalemates the RS was issued in 1963 and the Prince 1966, but the latter was reissued a few years later with new parts so I think that must have been the boxing I got. Nothing currently available at Kingkit and e-Bay unfortunately but maybe someday.

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 3:00 AM, Mjwomack said:

Certainly agree about the quality of Railmatch paints- there concrete is my favourite version. Not sure I'll be needing any of that on this build🤔

Here in the states, the old Pollyscale RR colors acrylic line had a color called “Old Concrete” which was my go-to color for years when I needed weathered teak (or other woods) decks.  I still have a bottle stashed away….

FWIW,  I doubt that teak was used on the original Mayflower.  Teak comes from Southeast Asia, so it wasn’t exactly readily available in the early 1600s in Europe….  

• Thanks 1

All good points, I don't think 'neat teak' is the answer but I'll have to do something with the decks because it's literally monotonous at the moment. The deck area isn't so very big so probably go for a thinned wash of a random brown and hope it lifts the texture at the same time 

• Like 1

My standard trick for a wood deck with raised detail is first paint it a dark brown. After that dries , put a coat of a light wood tan. once that is dry, sand/ scrape the raised details gently to remove the tan and let the dark brown show through.

It is pretty effective when the kit used raised lines to represent the caulking between the planks…

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

My standard trick for a wood deck with raised detail is first paint it a dark brown. After that dries , put a coat of a light wood tan. once that is dry, sand/ scrape the raised details gently to remove the tan and let the dark brown show through.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I'll be giving it a go. Though I know it's not going to come close to the amazing work that you produce.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I'll be giving it a go. Though I know it's not going to come close to the amazing work that you produce.

A few years back I asked fellow modeller Heather if she had painted any LNER teak coaches as she is of course a professional train modeller and I have a batch of Ian Kirk coaches to paint sometime. Apparently she had not, being more into GWR but she suggested this series of articles.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/75178-reproducing-varnished-teak-improving-latest-hornby-thompsons/

I have yet to try it, and obviously you would be using different colours, but you might find it interesting in terms of technique. I seem to remember Ian Kirk himself suggested something similar, and I did pick up some of the cheap Taklon brushes it mentions - the wide flat ones are very useful.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 9:22 PM, Jeepboy said:

....just thought I would quietly ask how the Mayflower is coming on? 

It's very fair question! After a very enjoyable summer (chasing trains across Europe, since you didn't ask), I'm back on it over the last couple of days. Large parts of the instructions make no sense whatsoever, not least the painting guide. But this is where it's at...

PXL-20220929-165124559.jpg 

The vast expanse of brown was depressing, but breaking it up with even a start on the 'lining' and some light weathering has lifted it a lot and I'm far happier.

Now, a closer look at the deck and forecastle assembly...

PXL-20220929-165136648.jpg 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats turned out nice, how was the train-spotting ? 

Marvelous! One of the last genuine train ferries on earth from Scilly to the Italian mainland, up the Italian Riviera, over the bernia pass into Switzerland the. Up the length off the Rhine valley; you can see why it took all summer! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Marvelous! One of the last genuine train ferries on earth from Scilly to the Italian mainland, up the Italian Riviera, over the bernia pass into Switzerland the. Up the length off the Rhine valley; you can see why it took all summer! 

Would very much like to see some of those myself. 

• Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle here's something to whet your appetite

PXL-20220907-164049798-MP.jpg

Now before I get in trouble for taking my own thread off-topic (is that even possible? One for the BM philosophy group), how are the adventurers on the Mayflower faring?

Well, they now have a ship's bell to call their own

PXL-20220930-110035933.jpg 

PXL-20220930-110046066.jpg 

I'm far from convinced about this assembling the decks before attaching to the hull, and there may well be some very non-Puritanic language in the not too distant future. But this is how the instructions say to do it, and what do they know?!

As for the painting instructions, I've reverted to what we all did once upon a time and am using the box illustration as much as the instructions

PXL-20220930-110109414-MP.jpg 

It's lifting the unrelenting brown for sure, but I think I'll be leaving out the stripes because

1. I can't face all that detail (the rigging will be pain enough)

2. I'm not convinced it's prototypical on a freighter of the period (at least that's my story)

PXL-20220930-110249952-MP.jpg 

Referring to the box-top so much has got me worried about the person in the middle of this view; wonder if he's been swept overboard but hope really he's walking back on the forecastle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

try posca pens for gilding the sides...................acrylic  pens, different size nibs to be had.  His ships are a bit bigger, but the tips that he gives out about masts and rigging are pretty good.  He has built many many Galleons and all to be found on his channel

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/30/2022 at 11:03 PM, Jeepboy said:

I remember painting the different colours on the sides.  Tedious but almost therapeutic  and the result was well worth it to add some colour..

Keep at it 

It is remarkably therapeutic! Alas today's therapy has been interrupted by a jealous cat🙄

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:11 AM, rayprit said:

try posca pens for gilding the sides...................acrylic  pens, different size nibs to be had.  His ships are a bit bigger, but the tips that he gives out about masts and rigging are pretty good.  He has built many many Galleons and all to be found on his channel

That is quite something! I had wondered about trying some sharpie pens on the lining, but seem to be savouring the moment of Zen from old style hairy stick!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mj,

I know absolutely nothing about what it is you are trying to model! Some Kriegsmarine 46 if I am not mistaken...

Big swastikas on the sides would look good. I know you will finish it to your usual high standard.

I am more intrigued about the entrance into your train ferry. Especially where the tracks cross each other.... I am not sure what is worse than a boggling mind, but that is what is happening to me! Please do tell all!

And have fun.

JR

• Haha 1

On 30/10/2022 at 21:11, jean said:

I am more intrigued about the entrance into your train ferry. Especially where the tracks cross each other.... I am not sure what is worse than a boggling mind, but that is what is happening to me! 

The guy on the right in the photo seems to share your bewilderment!

• Haha 1

Meanwhile...Back on the Mayflower

PXL-20221103-092113088-MP.jpg

Lower hull painted and lightly weathered- again more retrained than I'd have gone with in deference to my sister's tastes. Like many of us of an age, it's 'back end' has become rather unsightly and is going to take a lot of cosmetic surgery to be half respectable!

All in all though, pretty much where I wanted to be at this date, as I've always expected to dock at KUTA Freeport!

• Like 6