Sportscars at Bicester

Sabrejet

Today was an awesome father's day treat, with nine, totally unexpected sportscars at the Bicester Scramble. They comprised three Lolas; a Sauber C11, the 1988 Le Mans-winning Jaguar XJR-9; a road-legal Porsche 962, a Peugeot 908, Bentley EXP Speed 8 and a Gibson/Morgan. There were also a few GTs sprinkled in there, but here are the sportscars first...

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

h

i

• Like 18

Bonus day there, is it me or does the third picture down (I'm not up on post 1990's racers) look like some sort of take on the Batmobile? 😄

But just like Formula 1 the aero requirements detract from the aesthetics of more modern endurance cars for me. 

I'd take a ride in that 962 in a heartbeat.

Dave

Yes great photo's. We live in Buckingham just 12 miles from there, but I was on my way home from Portugal yesterday and missed it! I've seen the Heritage centre grow over the last few years into a centre for creativity for racing cars both new and old using the buildings of the Army/Airforce airfield which still has a thriving glider training centre. I hear that the Brabham family have their new sportscar facility there, hopefully towards Le Mans in the future.

• Like 1

Thanks for those Sabrejet. Love the Silk Cut Jag.👍

Tamiya UK's twitter account, @TamiyaUK put some photos from their visit to Bicester. This photo stood out because of their model. Looks rather splendid.

spacer.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, PatW said:

Yes great photo's. We live in Buckingham just 12 miles from there, but I was on my way home from Portugal yesterday and missed it! I've seen the Heritage centre grow over the last few years into a centre for creativity for racing cars both new and old using the buildings of the Army/Airforce airfield which still has a thriving glider training centre. I hear that the Brabham family have their new sportscar facility there, hopefully towards Le Mans in the future.

I mentioned after I visited the April Bicester Sramble that I was worried it was becoming too corporate , but too be able to see such rare cars close up and unfenced is great . 

I live in the bomber county , North Lincolnshire to be precise and so many of the areas legendary bases have been shut and demolished without a thought of their history being celebrated, so to see Bicester being reused and not modernised along the way is fantastic to see . 👏👏👏 

Gary. 

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks for those Sabrejet. Love the Silk Cut Jag.👍

Tamiya UK's twitter account, @TamiyaUK put some photos from their visit to Bicester. This photo stood out because of their model. Looks rather splendid.

spacer.png

Yes there were in fact two RSRs at Bicester; the other in lime green. Very tasty.

• Like 1

Interesting thing (maybe only for me) is that I'd seen the Morgan (built as a Pescarolo with chassis #12) twice before, and in different colours.

c

At a wet Goodwood in 2012:

Goodwood Jun12

and two years later, at Silverstone for the ELMS round:

Silverstone Apr14

Even more coincidental, I have a 1/18 Spark model of this car. Very serendipitous.

• Like 2