Dragon Rapide incident confirmed at Duxford today

Alpha Delta 210

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

I can't find anything on any main-stream news on-line. 

Not even in the local fire-services incident reports

Thanks, neither can I. 

It looks as if the air show is proceeding, so thankfully it must have been a minor incident. 

• Like 1

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to incident confirmed at Duxford today
  • Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to Dragon Rapide incident confirmed at Duxford today
41 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ouch!  Should be relatively sortable, and everyone got out ok :yes:

Being very familiar with vintage 1:1 scale, “Relative” is a relative term! If the engines were running, they will need to be torn down and inspected. Currently an overhaul on a those engines is around £70 000. Get out your wallets!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

If the engines were running, they will need to be torn down and inspected. Currently an overhaul on a those engines is around £70 000. Get out your wallets!

I was kind of hoping that the set-back from the nose might have protected them from damage, or at least saved one from a jolt.  We can but hope :shrug:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

I was kind of hoping that the set-back from the nose might have protected them from damage, or at least saved one from a jolt.  We can but hope :shrug:

Mike, 'ouch' indeed - even though the engines are indeed well set back from the nose, both props have hit the grass and stopped rapidly, bottom I'm sure you know that then means the engines will need shock load testing, to see particularly whether any crankshaft bending has occurred. Also called a 'run out' test I think (?)

I hope you right and the fact that the impact will have been v close to prop tips and also hopefully at idle into grass has avoided major damage. Fingers crossed; Robin-42 is correct, that can get costly very fast -  Gipsy spares are fairly rare and not cheap these days.  But at least it's only money.

The pilot has my sympathy. Taildraggers can easily groundloop, especially on gusty days (it was up here anyway!) and a tip up is then more likely.  (I challenge you to find a tailwheel pilot who hasn't groundlooped, or had a tail coming up worryingly...)

Of course sometimes  quite a lot of additional damage is done getting the aircraft back on its wheels, so the presence of the crane is welcome.

John B

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Fingers crossed

Absolutely.  I know it's a lot of money to test and possibly/probably repair the two engines, but eminently easier to replace than people.  Still a huge shame though :shrug:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Well if it's the mail, expect to read that the aircraft was being "stunted"; performing a "loop-the-loop" or being piloted by a "Top Gun".

Apparently the nosewheel failed...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

If it were one of my models, I would pick it up, look at the damage, shrug my shoulders with a 'Doesn't look too bad, should be easy to repair', then place it on a shelf and forget about it. Let's hope Duxford (or whoever owns the Dragon Rapide) DON'T follow my bad example.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Having read that 'news' article, if those are reliable eyewitnesses, I wouldn't want them talking to the police or my insurers after a car crash. 

Real shame for all concerned, I hope that the wholly unnecessary but sadly inevitable over-reaction to a minor accident doesn't end up with a ban on pleasure flights.

Matt

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Learstang said:

If it were one of my models, I would pick it up, look at the damage, shrug my shoulders with a 'Doesn't look too bad, should be easy to repair', then place it on a shelf and forget about it. Let's hope Duxford (or whoever owns the Dragon Rapide) DON'T follow my bad example.

Regards,

Jason

Not the IWM. It's operated by Classic Wings, I believe. I often used to see it droning over London - a lovely sight.

• Like 2

Fortunately only a relatively minor bump, with (presumably) no significant damage to the airframe (i.e. Wingspars). 

I guess the engines will need an overhaul, but I suppose that's what insurance is for...

Shame to see these incidents, although the Dragon Rapide really is a stalwart for introducing people to vintage aviaiton and is rather under appreciated in my mind!

Let's hope the damage isn't too serious/expensive and that she'll be back in the air soon :)

• Like 5

On 6/19/2022 at 6:33 PM, Farmer matt said:

Having read that 'news' article, if those are reliable eyewitnesses, I wouldn't want them talking to the police or my insurers after a car crash. 

Real shame for all concerned, I hope that the wholly unnecessary but sadly inevitable over-reaction to a minor accident doesn't end up with a ban on pleasure flights.

Matt

It is indeed strange that 'eyewitness evidence' is viewed so highly.  Investigations some time ago by a combination of psychologists, police and forensic investigators showed that it is amongst the least reliable, because we immediately interpret what we see, so as to make sense of it. Also we then revise & may adjust that memory each time we think it over to ourselves, even if we don't talk about it with others.   It is why we were  told years ago that if we witnessed an accident or incident, to immediately write down what we thought we saw, without interpretation, even if it didn't appear to make sense. Hence a note written at the time is viewed as amongst the strongest of evidence. 

The snag with 'news' papers is that their 'journalists' typically have a fixed pre-conceived notion in mind, so they ask questions solely to confirm that notion. I try not to talk to journalists because most of them will twist your words !  The Daily Fail - say no more...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s very sad to see, especially as it’s the aeroplane on which I took my first flight. I know it had an engine fire a few years back and was subsequently repaired.

Equally alarming are the photos of the turnout for the display. The only thing missing is the tumbleweed…

• Like 1

According to the press, the Rapide " nose-dived into the ground" , someone should really point out the difference between a nose dive and nosing over.

• Like 2

The other damaged item here - serviceable Fairey-Reed props are now as rare as hen's teeth; finding replacements will be difficult and expensive. I appreciate that the insurer (hopefully) will cover the costs but simply finding replacements is getting ever harder.

Edited by Rod Blievers
spelling
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:48 PM, Andrew Jones said:

According to the press, the Rapide " nose-dived into the ground" , someone should really point out the difference between a nose dive and nosing over.

I think it’s time to rejuvenate the “alternative dictionary definitions” thread. “ jour-na-list, a being incapable of joined up thought or reporting no accurately on an event or incident, prone to gross exaggeration”

Had whoever wrote that/those piece(s) though about it for a second or two they should have been able to work out that had G-AIYR hit the ground at speed at that angle there could well have been small pieces of broken aeroplane and dead and injured people spread over a significant acreage of Duxford’s airfield.

This sort of sensationalist reporting of aircraft accidents, coming as it does only a day after the 50th anniversary of the Papa India accident, does nobody any favours and shows that the press/media have learned little or nothing useful in the intervening years.  I still can’t forget how the two junior pilots, Jeremy Keighley and Simon Ticehurst, were vilified by the press.  Their “crime”? Youth and inexperience.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rod Blievers said:

The other damaged item here - serviceable Fairey-Reed props are now as rare as hen's teeth; finding replacements will be difficult and expensive. I appreciate that the insurer (hopefully) will cover the costs but simply finding replacements is getting ever harder.

Some historic aircraft are not fully insured  for accident damage because the premiums are so high.  Four years of premiums will pay for some aircraft so owners take the risk (this is not the same as public liability insurance)  It's a bit like 3rd party car insurance or fully comprehensive.  The owner may havevto take the hit.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 9:13 PM, Rod Blievers said:

Strewth, that's something I'd not thought of at all. I wonder if there are alternate propeller manufacturers props available. I presume it was a fixed pitch prop not one of  the (rare) constant speed conversions?  

Having now seen a video of the landing, it looks very much as if the brakes were binding or jammed, or for some other reason were on. A nice flare, touchdown, then the tail slowly lifts.  Rats. Not a ground loop at all, as far as I can see. 

John B

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 12:20 PM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

It is being reported on UKAR that there has been a non-injury incident at Duxford today involving a Dragon Rapide.

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=87198&start=100

I can't find any corroboration.

Does anyone have any more information?

So Alpha Delta  210 

This was taking part in the Show when it happened,  not when it was carrying paying customers?

I only ask because in February of this year I bought a Wedding Gift of a Dragon Rapide flight For MY nephew and his new bride...

Not sure when he will take it as he is a Doctor and his gift expires in December 2023.

Getting back to the crash I hope the pilot/copilot are alright and not injured..

and that no one else was hurt in the crash.

thanks for sharing the news.

:pardon: