1/72 L-188 Electra using Hasegawa P-3 and 3D components from OneManModel

I had 2 incomplete P3 orion kits sitting unwanted n the shelf (they had already donated their engines and a few other components to 4 Convair 580 conversions I've previously built).  Fortunately Toshihiko Shimizu decided to do both the L-188  and the P3 as 3D printed models last year. This probably saved these kits from a trip to the dump!

I purchased a set of engines, props and new cockpit and tail sections from Toshihiko Shimizu  in January & put everything aside for future contemplation.  Heres all the bits with the original fuselage (not lengthened yet).

51829922909_04c55395ec_k.jpgl188 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

he conversion involved taking a portion of the barrel part of the rear fuselage from one kit and adding this to the forward section of the other. The Weapons Bay then needed to be removed and replaced with sections of the roof of the other kit (to make it a perfect cylinder. The bits were assembled in May. Sections fit together quite well, I was even able to use the P-3's cockpit interior inside OneManModel's Electra nose section :) 

51833657770_be2dfaa8e4_b.jpgthumbnail_image0 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

52096943102_f49847144a_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

52096943077_62938caa02_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

52098206334_0f95fba95f_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Paint masks removed in early June (I had decided to do the cabin windows as Authentic Airliners decals at an early stage). Definitely looking a bit more like an Electra :) 

52117440562_7a940f3417_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

52118719514_f0b1862b75_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Now Complete, decalled as ZK-TEA "Aotearoa" with Tasman Empire Airways Ltd. The Authentic Airliners window decals are awesome! They really give depth of field.

52155428282_95ca4a6cf8_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

52156455298_b406df0e96_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

With one of  TEAL's earlier DC-6s  :)

52155428247_f8627e9000_k.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Edited by follasha
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

I like that Harry, brings back memories of the Electras droning over head from Wgtn to Melb of an evening. I never got to fly in one but would still love one in my collection, though I'd be happy in 1/144 for one of these, meantime I'll enjoy yours. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Fantastic!  This is on my (rather long) 'to do' list - but hadn't done the research on what was required to retrofit the Hasegawa.  A nice record of the journey there - with the added bonus of those 3D components. Look great - well done!

• Like 1

Harry, this is singularly impressive work on your part.  How difficult was it to prepare and integrate the One-Man-Model parts for/with the rest of the model?  I am daunted at the prospect of dealing with numerous striations left over from additive manufacturing, especially on the clear parts.  Were his parts difficult to sand?  What kind of cement did you use?

Regarding the build itself, when you engineered the forward fuselage plug, did you reinforce it, and if so, how?  Thanks and great job!

Alex

• Like 1

Hi Alex, the striatum’s on the 3D parts really aren’t that daunting to manage. I’ve previously built 4 of his HS.748 / Andover kits without any real hassle…you just need to devote time to just chill out and do a couple nights wet & dry sanding in front of the TV etc (working through various grades of sandpaper in process). The clear parts are mine, I use old CD case poly plastic shaped and then just glued in (carefully) with model poly cement. The worst part (by far) was having patience to sand down and fill the props using brushed on coats of Mr Surfacer 500 between sanding. I understand that OneManModel can now sell you 3D resin prop blades that solve this issue! 

In terms of the parts fit for the Electra build, OneManModels components fit almost exactly to the hasegawa components, it would seem that he possibly based his original on the hasegawa 😉
I used CA glue to attach the major 3D components and used milliput filler to take up any poorly fitting joints.

in terms of the cut and reshaped hasegawa parts, they were reinforced internally with strips of  the curved fuselage section from the sacrificed p3 model. I hope this all helps, all in all it was a straightforward build😉.

Edited by follasha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 2:40 PM, follasha said:

Hi Alex, the striatum’s on the 3D parts really aren’t that daunting to manage. I’ve previously built 4 of his HS.748 / Andover kits without any real hassle…you just need to devote time to just chill out and do a couple nights wet & dry sanding in front of the TV etc (working through various grades of sandpaper in process). The clear parts are mine, I use old CD case poly plastic shaped and then just glued in (carefully) with model poly cement. The worst part (by far) was having patience to sand down and fill the props using brushed on coats of Mr Surfacer 500 between sanding. I understand that OneManModel can now sell you 3D resin prop blades that solve this issue! 

In terms of the parts fit for the Electra build, OneManModels components fit almost exactly to the hasegawa components, it would seem that he possibly based his original on the hasegawa 😉
I used CA glue to attach the major 3D components and used milliput filler to take up any poorly fitting joints.

in terms of the cut and reshaped hasegawa parts, they were reinforced internally with strips of  the curved fuselage section from the sacrificed p3 model. I hope this all helps, all in all it was a straightforward build😉.

Never thought of doing this. This looks great. I have the complete 3D Electra waiting to get made as well as two Contrail sets. Are you going to be using the second wing you have for anything? I'm looking for one to use for making a turbo Connie.