1/48 Ammo F-104G Starfighter

Third page... That's no good!

I made a big boo-boo last weekend and tried using rattlecan of auto primer in the 40+ degree heat. I knew in my heart it was a bad idea and sure enough it was like the model was covered in 180 grit sandpaper. Luckily I did only the bottom but it was pretty hard to sand back and the finish was far from perfect. 

But in any case I got down to LHS spray booth today and got the black and green on.

52297977092_70e3632209_b.jpg

Then this evening did decals. 

I will still need to finish some other painting when I'm back from leave but it should be pretty quick. Just the dielectric panels, rear end and wheel wells. 

52298963933_e661e03bcb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Arthur.

• Like 7

Hello Arthur

looking great! Nice paintjob!

The green really is a great background to the high vis national insignia. 😍

just one thing: I am not so convinced by those red dots on the back however. I am sure they are historically correct, but they look a bit artificial. 🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sam said:

Hello Arthur

looking great! Nice paintjob!

The green really is a great background to the high vis national insignia. 😍

just one thing: I am not so convinced by those red dots on the back however. I am sure they are historically correct, but they look a bit artificial. 🤔

I agree. There's a few strange things in this Kinetic/Ammo instructions. I plan on toning these down with some oil paints but maybe you are right I should just remove them now.

4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

I agree. There's a few strange things in this Kinetic/Ammo instructions. I plan on toning these down with some oil paints but maybe you are right I should just remove them now.

I only ran a quick web search but I didn’t find any picture of the green zipper with those 🔴. But I may be totally wrong! Your build looks so cool, In my opinion it would be a pity. But it‘s your build, and my taste is probably a bit weird.
I am used to honest debriefs, grades off. 👍🏽

And that’s also especially valid for my work. That’s how we get better. 🫡

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I used some Mr Mark Softer to remove those red dots. And I immediately was happy with the result.

I've also painted the remaining colours and given it a wash. I want it to look quite dirty. 

Really just need to matt coat and do final assembly now.

52349200142_f480f7e7e3_b.jpg

• Like 5

Hello there Arthur

Lovely Starfighter indeed!

I really like the weathering. Did you use oil paints for that job?

The removing of the red dots has really paid off in my opinion, it looks very very classy like this. 

You have inspired me, so this bird here is now on my to-do list:

p?i=17ce35a30b9f6909b1b5cb12df87c2ac

• Like 1

Thanks Sam!

Yes I used oils with a dot filter, as well as MIG oilbrusher which I just bought, plus the usual tamiya panel line wash. For the dot filter though I used a little too much titanium white which then lead to all kinds of problems. Thankfully the acrylic flat coat is totally impervious to enamel thinners as it's seen a lot.

Let's see how it looks under a bit more light when I get photos. 

• Like 1

Got my photos into the gallery. 

Another GB done and dusted! This was a great GB, with varied but related aircraft giving a very nice theme which was not too broad but also more interesting than STGB where every plane is the same! 

Thanks @modelling minion for all your encouragement and everyone else for their likes and comments too. This one may not have gotten across the line without the support.

Btw the RBF tags are semi fictional and just put on to add some visual interest and draw the eyes away from the faults.

52365179272_c2f970b26e_b.jpg

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 3