Albatros DII …….20years in the making

Not posted for a while but quite pleased with this so here goes ……

I found this kit while clearing a cupboard that hadn’t been accessible until recently for some years, I started it back in 2002 got fed up trying to do the wood effect so gave up. 

I decided to give it another go stripped the bodged wood effect to give the oil paint method a try don’t think it’s come out too bad. First go at rigging as well, it’s too fine but I’m not redoing it !!!

I think I may have to try another one now, possibly an old Toko Hansa Brandenberg DI I’ve got in the stash somewhere.

Albatros DII

Jasta 24 Western Front March 1917

flown by the Austro-Hungarian ace Godwin Brumowski during his training on the Albatros

Roden 1/72 kit: Reddog base : aerobonus figure 

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30

Great work on that one! I have it in my stash too so I now know it can turn out very well indeed. As for the rigging, in my opinion it looks spot on.

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

Cracking job Dean 👏

Got one of these on the bench at the moment (although I've not got much further than joining the top wing pieces together)

Great to see how it might look when finished

Paul

• Thanks 1

Great work, Dean... well worth the 20 year wait.  Your wood-effect fuselage came up very good.  Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Meant to say that the rigging is spot on (doesn't look too fine IMO. What did you use?)👍

How did you get on with the decals; I've read several reports of them breaking up and being difficult?

Cheers

Paul

On 18/06/2022 at 17:53, Dean Whiston said:

Not posted for a while but quite pleased with this so here goes ……

I found this kit while clearing a cupboard that hadn’t been accessible until recently for some years, I started it back in 2002 got fed up trying to do the wood effect so gave up. 

I decided to give it another go stripped the bodged wood effect to give the oil paint method a try don’t think it’s come out too bad. First go at rigging as well, it’s too fine but I’m not redoing it !!!

I think I may have to try another one now, possibly an old Toko Hansa Brandenberg DI I’ve got in the stash somewhere.

Albatros DII

Jasta 24 Western Front March 1917

flown by the Austro-Hungarian ace Godwin Brumowski during his training on the Albatros

Roden 1/72 kit: Reddog base : aerobonus figure 

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

Meant to say that the rigging is spot on (doesn't look too fine IMO. What did you use?)👍

How did you get on with the decals; I've read several reports of them breaking up and being difficult?

Cheers

Paul

The rigging is Uschi 0.01 mm; it almost invisible without the white background; scale wise 0.03 would be closer so will try that on the next one

the decals were bad (they were 20 years old I suppose) - I had one break up which i replaced from another newer set I’ve got but my main issue was they would just not settle even with copious amounts of micro sol/set - the white areas also seemed translucent when dry so I had to overpaint them with white paint 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean Whiston said:

The rigging is Uschi 0.01 mm; it almost invisible without the white background; scale wise 0.03 would be closer so will try that on the next one

the decals were bad (they were 20 years old I suppose) - I had one break up which i replaced from another newer set I’ve got but my main issue was they would just not settle even with copious amounts of micro sol/set - the white areas also seemed translucent when dry so I had to overpaint them with white paint 

Thanks Dean - I might try some of that on the next one (and I'll make sure I've got some alternative decals standing by as well) 😉

Are you sure it's that thin? I use .06mm fishing line which is scale in 1:72 and it looks pretty much the same!

Uschi's Superfine is good for 1:72 and that's his smallest!

Lovely work anyway, she looks great!

Ian

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Are you sure it's that thin? I use .06mm fishing line which is scale in 1:72 and it looks pretty much the same!

Uschi's Superfine is good for 1:72 and that's his smallest!

It is superfine has 0.01 on it which the place I brought it from advertised as mm  ….. perhaps it’s not and it is right after all 

edit: just found a site which says superfine is 0.01 mm but is correct for 1/72 rigging 😊

Edited by Dean Whiston
Update
  • Like 1